Question on our 2023 Recruiting Class: Should It Be Better Going Into PJ's 7th Year?

Flip 1 game over the last three years and they were in Indy 3 times. Yes we can do better on and off the field.

Yes. Should have and could have beaten Iowa last year and the year before. We out-gained them and really out-played them in 2021 and 2022.

Good thing we’ve had 11/9/9 wins over 3 full seasons. Ending every season with a bowl victory.
Real thing:

7-2, great win over #4 Penn St, no West title, no Indy, solid bowl game win /
6-3, solid win over #14 Wisconsin, no West title, no Indy, bottom tier meaningless bowl game /
5-4, no great Big Ten wins, no West title, no Indy, slightly better but still meaningless bowl game

We can blow smoke all we want about "11/9/9" all you want, lumping in easy non-conf games with the rest of our non-standout Big Ten games. Hey don't get me wrong, wins are wins.

But on the other hand, maybe the major recruits still have doubts?

The other important part being, the 2019 season as great as it was then immediately lead into covid.

Now you'd think the hey would be in the barn already on the 2020 class by the time the covid s__ hit the fan in Feb/Mar 2020, but I'm willing to give a pass for that.

Ignorance? LOL.

I remain mildly disappointed.
If you genuinely expected Fleck to be bringing in top 15 classes than yes, I have to assume you are ignorant to how difficult that is to do here.

Didn't someone mention a while back that Fleck went very heavy in Minnesota this year. A lot of local kids so maybe take a small hit on stars, but less likely to transfer?

I think PJ has an average conference record and average recruiting.
He stabilized the prograam after the Kill /Claeys dramatic departures during Kills seizure disorder and the alleged sexual assault blow up.
PJ is very unlikely to get MN in the final 12 but is unlikely to leave for another job or get fired in the near future.
He may be around like Ferentz long enough to have a child become the OC.

Didn't someone mention a while back that Fleck went very heavy in Minnesota this year. A lot of local kids so maybe take a small hit on stars, but less likely to transfer?
That's the prevailing theory.

He definitely appears to have put more emphasis on local kids post the transfer waiver being introduced. I tend to think it’s a good strategy, especially for a program that isn’t going to be able to recruit at a super high level consistently. Experience and chemistry can overcome some talent gaps.

I see Iowa picked up a 4 star all conference linebacker from Virginia via the transfer portal. Just what they need, another piece to make their defense even better.

This tells you a thing which was likely obvious:

pulling up talent from the G5 and top FCS programs, is going to be commonplace for the Gophers. I don't think that's bad, at all.

I see Iowa picked up a 4 star all conference linebacker from Virginia via the transfer portal. Just what they need, another piece to make their defense even better.
They also got TE Erick All from Michigan, rated 0.92 as a transfer.

The school that produced Kittle, Hockenson, and Fant.

Top Bottom