Question on kickers

TAW

Reaction score
My boss' son is planning to try to walk-on as a kicker for the Gophers. He will be a freshman next fall and was a pretty decent HS kicker (I think his longest field goal was 45 or 47 yards) and has attended various camps on kicking. I believe he has sent film to the Gopher staff.

What are the current kicking prospects on the team? Does Kill welcome walk-ons (why wouldn't you?) and how hard is it to do so?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Kill definitely welcomes walk-ons. It sounds like they really like to see guys at camps so it'd probably be a good idea if your boss' son tried to attend the summer camp. FWIW, Kill is making special teams a huge priority.

I'll leave it to more informed minds then mine to speak to the depth of our kickers. I honestly have no idea.

The scholarship transfer that is kicking FGs will be junior I believe, so if your friend 's son walks on next year and redshirts, he would be a redshirt FR during the scholarship kicker's last year which seems like pretty good timing. If he has a strong enough leg to really develop into a good kicker, I would think his chances are good. This coach respects work, not potential. If he is serious about working and he has a leg, I can't imagine they would not be interested. Given where kickoffs start now, I think a walk on could make the team if he could kick the ball into the end zone consistently, even if he could not make a field goal at all.
If he was a really reliable punter, he might see the field sooner. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this springs punting as a break through from last fall's problems, but the coach seems to think it is better and he knows a lot more than I do about it. They work on coverage and blocking everyday, so they are serious about changing it.

Well, there is a little competition but that is to be expected if you are walking on at a Big 10 school.

I am not 100% sure if this is your friend's kid or not, but there is a kid from EP who is walking on. His name is David Platner and he was one of the best kickers in the state. He will be a preferred walk on (some minor differences between just a regular walk on).

Hawthorne will be a JR and there are a couple other upper classmen. However, as far as competition amongst guys in his own year, it would probably come from Platner. From spring practice, it doesn't sound like anyone (Platner isn't there yet) has really stood out.

With punting...
You have Orseske, who is supposedly a pretty talented kid but he really struggles with consistancy. They are also bringing in a preferred walk on from WI, the kid is named Mortell. He is supposedly one of the better punters in the country. We really did struggle with punting this season, so it might be a bit easier to crack the starting lineup punting.

I think the key thing to think about is that Kill seems almost relentless in his desire to excel in the kicking/punting game. So I imagine that he will be bringing in more and more competition every single season. Platner might be your friend's kid biggest competition this season, but I think there will be K's signed every year to fight for those spots.

It sounds like your friend's kid is a pretty talented guy though, and if he can get as consistant as possible, that would be the key. Wish him luck!

Hawthorne and Orseske will both be Sophomores next year.

Top Bottom