Question from Arkansas Fan

DeltaHog

Reaction score
First of all I would like to compliment you on your new stadium.
TCF Bank Stadium looks very nice.

I am from Arkansas and going to be in Mankato from Oct. 5th - Oct. 16th.
I had intended on going hunting over the weekend but it turned out to be
more of a hassle getting hunting clothes and gun up there since I am flying.

I noticed the Gophers have a home game against Purdue on 10/10.
I am very interested in going and was looking for advice.

What are the chances I can get 1 ticket outside the stadium before the game?
I realize this is homecoming. Don't know if that will have an affect on getting a ticket.
What about tailgating? Is it in a central area or just scattered around campus?
Is it easy to walk up to Gopher fans and have college football conversation?
I have been to many SEC games and have been welcomed to eat and drink at the tailgate
at some and been cussed out for even being on campus at others.

Thanks in advance and good luck against Wisconsin this weekend.

ticket shouldn't be too ahrd to get, will be tougher if we win against Wisconsin as we probably will be ranked so more people will want to go...As for tailgating there are lots all around the stadium and restaraunts and bars are close as well and I know our site would be welcoming as long as your not a Iowa or Wisconsin fan...Remember the saying Minnesota Nice, so i'm guessing most would be like our group and welcome you for some college football talk as long as you arent like ESPN and deeply in love with the SEC and hate the B10

What's up Delta

You should be able to walk up to anyone and ask for a ticket - someone somewhere will have an extra.

Tailgaiting is a little scattered right now. But just get to campus and find an area that looks interesting to you. You'll find the fans here to be very welcoming, but I doubt the overall knowledge of College Football will be as vast as SEC country.

So come on down and grab a beer and a brat.

Hey nice post and it is flattering to see your interest. I think you will find tickets to buy outside the stadium, singles included. There isn't a bad seat in the house so if I were you I would care more about price than the location of the ticket, for the most part. I'm just guessing but for that game I would think you'd be able to find a single seat ticket for near-face value. I have a feeling you'd find most Minnesotans would have a similar reaction to mine... they'd be happy to visit with you.

There is a lot of tailgating very close by to the north, and northeast of the stadium. But, as a "single" dude I can imagine it would be a little awkward anywhere just to approach strangers at their tailgate. The good news is there is a weekly outdoor/indoor party right across the street from the stadium (McNamara Plaza) that serves beer, drinks, and food. That would be a great place to wander through and strike up a conversation or two.

I hope you do it and I hope you have a lot of fun. Fall will be in the air and the leaves should be at about peak for the Purdue game. TCF Bank Stadium is a wonderful place to watch a game and I bet it will be a good experience for you. If the timing were different, I would potentially have a single seat I could sell you. I have a single seat on the other side of the stadium from my regular location. When I am not attending games with my family, I often unload that single. But, it will be used for the Purdue game.

Your biggest challenge may be parking so plan to arrive early or park at one of the shuttle locations.

i had heard that technically we were sold out, but that in reality there were single seats available. I've only heard this and never verified it but might be worth a call into the ticket office so you don't have to mess with tickets.

i had heard that technically we were sold out, but that in reality there were single seats available. I've only heard this and never verified it but might be worth a call into the ticket office so you don't have to mess with tickets.

1-800-U-GOPHER is the #. You can also call the Monday before the game to see if Purdue returned any of their seats (which are then sold as single game).

I wouldn't be so sure about ticket availability. I bought two for my kids on Stub-hub a week ago and couldn't even get two togerther for under a hundred dollars. Prices were easily and quickly running into the hundreds of dollars for seats.

I looked at Stubhub.com, the cheapest I see for the Purdue game is $75 for a single tickets, the cheapest I saw for tickets that were together was $89. I believe that at 9 AM on Monday, you can purchase any leftover tickets from Purdue's allotment, if they returned any.

I wouldn't be so sure about ticket availability. I bought two for my kids on Stub-hub a week ago and couldn't even get two togerther for under a hundred dollars. Prices were easily and quickly running into the hundreds of dollars for seats.

I think it will be better if you wait until kickoff...scalpers with any singles left will just be happy to get rid of them.

I think it will be better if you wait until kickoff...scalpers with any singles left will just be happy to get rid of them.

This was my point. Needing a single and walking around the stadium will likely result in a near-face-value purchase. There were enough tickets on the street for the Cal game to make it affordable near game time.

Thanks for all the info.
I am looking forward to going to the game.
BTW - It's funny you bring up ESPN because we in the south see their man love for Pete Carroll and Jim Tressel.
But then again the do have a major cruch on Tebow even helped him with the heisman.

Sounds kind of like tailgating at Arkansas. Spread out and everyone is welcome (unless you have a Texass shirt on).
But even if you do we will still give you a beer, just not one of the real cold ones down at the bottom of the ice chest.

I've been to an Arkansas home game...

I enjoyed myself, except for two things. 1. Fayetteville is not easy to get to.
2. I went with an Alabama fan who made me hang with other obnoxious Recede fans, but the Arkansas fans who noticed I wasn't wearing Alabama stuff or colors where very nice to me, and I did enjoy myself very much. Crimson and Red are not too different, but my Gold t-shirt did stand out.

When did you go? Before or after renovation of the stadium?
I'm sorry you had to be with Alabama fans. They are the worst
in the SEC by far.

Delta,

I tailgate with someone who has a extra single. PM me if your interested, send phone # and I will get back with you.

Delta,

Has Ronnie Wingo played at all this year? Curious as he did visit MN before deciding to go to the hawgs.

Thanks

Yes he has played some.
He has rushed 12 times for 66 yards. Caught 1 for 8 yards.
We did a lot of passing against Missouri State and then Georgia
shut down our running game. Folks around here are very high on
him. We are loaded at WR and have a good feature back.
He will be a household name at Arkansas soon I think.

I sure hope not. I expect him to start next year since our current running back is a senior.

Delta:

Funny how things appear depending on where you sit ....

Gator fans thought ESPN & Co spent a lot of time pumping up the Big 12 QB's last year, ignoring that they were putting up their big numbers against less than stellar defenses.

But I'm biased - I've been watching Tebow from 'fairly close' as a Gators season ticket holder. When he's "one of yours", it's hard not to love the kid.

BD:

Could not agree with you more.
BTW I like Tim Tebow and have the upmost respect for him. It's good to see a good Christian young man being very successful.

I got a chance to tour the Razorback campus when I was there this spring for a wedding. Since they were doing construction on the stadium field, I was able to walk right into the stadium and pretty much walk wherever I wanted, including onto the field where they weren't working.

I actually really liked the campus and the stadium. The frat houses on campus are immaculate - and are something right out of central casting. Pillars in front, clean white exterior and you could tell they took pride in the appearance. The stadium has an intimate feel. The only thing I would want to upgrade are some of the older looking bench seats. Paint is peeling and some of the steps are crooked and uneven.

Driving into Fayetteville on the freeway we noticed plenty of razorback landscaping and "Go Hogs" on all the licence plates. Reminded me how cheering for a college team in a pro sports town is so frustrating. Nobody seems to care. Heck, I was in Target the other day and half the people had on Vikings jerseys. I was the only one wearing any gopher colors. At least I tried my best with gopher sweats, a MN sweatshirt, and matching visor. But alas, in this town I will always be a minority.

I was actually upset when Favre tossed that TD. I wouldn't mind it at all if they moved to CA. For those that think the Vikings don't take fans away from Gopher football - get real.

I would imagine it would be frustrating living is a pro and college football town. Anywhere you go in Arkansas you can find Razorback gear. Interesting fact that on gameday Razorback stadium is the 3rd most populated place in Arkansas with around 74,000 people. Most of you may not know but we actually play two games in Little Rock each year. Old stadium that holds about 52,000 but there is a golf course right next to it where everyone tailgates.

You are right, Alabama fans are wildly obnoxious...

When did you go? Before or after renovation of the stadium?
I'm sorry you had to be with Alabama fans. They are the worst
in the SEC by far.

Before, I don't remember exactly which year but I will look it up.
I looked it up, it was 1994. A close game I remembered and I was right, 13-7 The menstral cycles barely edged you guys out.

Alabama fans

Wasn't it an Alabama fan that jumped in the river after we beat them in Nashville five years ago or so? That was classic.

2004 Music City Bowl...

Wasn't it an Alabama fan that jumped in the river after we beat them in Nashville five years ago or so? That was classic.
I remember it well...for a month all we heard was, "Alabama's run defense is invinciable, they held "the best running back tandom in the country" Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown of Auburn to less than 100 yards between them...8 men in the box. Both LaMo and MBIII went over the hundred yard mark that day. We had three bad turnovers, did more to keep Bama in the game then they did. Then of course there was the whinning about "Rocky Top" after....They were lucky when the band didn't run in front of their bench playing the "Battle Hymn of the Republic".
I recall it fondly....

Top Bottom