Question for the "Anti-Flecksters"

Maybe if they recruit some poltergeists who can move through walls we'll finally have a pass rush

Rossi's defenses will never be at the top of the conference in sacks. He goes lane discipline first and makes the QB beat coverage and limits scramble runs. In the past, that worked great with excellent defensive backs. Not so much this year. I feel that they tried to rush the QB more earlier in the season but got burned enough times where that got shelved.

@Husker Dont's

Ryan Burns even does you one better: he says Greg Harbaugh is just fine at OC. Backs this up with several anecdotes of great to brilliant play calls that we then badly failed to execute.

Says it’s much more simply a matter of Fleck getting TF out of the way and to stop meddling with the offense.

What say you to that?

Me personally, I don’t think Fleck is capable of that. For two reasons:
1) he can’t live with not having tight control over every aspect of the program and certainly gameday, and
2) his ego won’t allow something good to have happened without it having come down to him and his decisions, or at least him feeling like that’s true.

We live by Fleck, we die by Fleck.

The only people who want to fire Coyle are basketball people.

If you only care about football, then there’s no universe where it makes sense to fire Coyle but keep Fleck.

College football has become varying levels of minor league professional sports. At present, UMN is a lower tier team in a top tier professional league. Either they pay premium dollars for players or they try to be competitive with unwanted players that couldn't get the payout from the top paying teams.
This is the landscape of college sports and, unlike euro sports, it is unregulated.

Fleck's idea of mentoring young men may not work in this wild west environment. His premise for development may not be viable.

1. Not firing
2. Always have a short list
3. What’s your plan? If your plan comes to fruition, what does it look like?
4. Pound alumni and local business for NIL. Corporate and Fortune 500 aren’t giving money. As Mason said on the radio yesterday, if MN wants a competitive program, show the money and be honest about it.

This is a football team - you are focusing on the goals. Our team needs to be about high GPA and graduation rates, not spirituality. Some on here foolishly think the goal is to win - the clearly don't understand football.

Where is your sarcasm radar?

Maybe if they recruit some poltergeists who can move through walls we'll finally have a pass rush

You know, that's not the worst idea for improving a pash rush. Actually, the worst idea would be to continue what we have been doing.

Rossi's defenses will never be at the top of the conference in sacks. He goes lane discipline first and makes the QB beat coverage and limits scramble runs. In the past, that worked great with excellent defensive backs. Not so much this year. I feel that they tried to rush the QB more earlier in the season but got burned enough times where that got shelved.
Yeah. It's clearly a read defense and a departure from Claeys/Sawvel who ran a more "forward" defense. Rossi has had two top ten defenses in 2021 and 2022, but I still think the LBs are either too slow or required to totally stay within the scheme. We miss guys like Terrell Smith.

if MN wants a competitive program, show the money

Why should they?? They have a competitive program: the Vikings.

I guarantee more out-state people care about the Vikings than the Gophers, which is where you’d like that to be reversed more so than the metro.

And with the Vikings, it’s a level playing field. They just have to make the right choices, and they can win a championship as easily as any other franchise.

Gophers, no chance. Everything in CFB is stacked against programs like the U right now to the nth degree.

College football has become varying levels of minor league professional sports. At present, UMN is a lower tier team in a top tier professional league. Either they pay premium dollars for players or they try to be competitive with unwanted players that couldn't get the payout from the top paying teams.
This is the landscape of college sports and, unlike euro sports, it is unregulated.

Fleck's idea of mentoring young men may not work in this wild west environment. His premise for development may not be viable.

You're probably right. Maybe it is too bad that the new Big Ten doesn't have A and B divisions but I guess the B teams are there to fatten up the records of the A teams. I guess the B teams probably are satisfied enough with this arrangement if they get to share the TV money.

@Husker Dont's

Ryan Burns even does you one better: he says Greg Harbaugh is just fine at OC. Backs this up with several anecdotes of great to brilliant play calls that we then badly failed to execute.

Says it’s much more simply a matter of Fleck getting TF out of the way and to stop meddling with the offense.

What say you to that?

Me personally, I don’t think Fleck is capable of that. For two reasons:
1) he can’t live with not having tight control over every aspect of the program and certainly gameday, and
2) his ego won’t allow something good to have happened without it having come down to him and his decisions, or at least him feeling like that’s true.

We live by Fleck, we die by Fleck.
I think Fleck has shown he will rely on the talent we have to do what they are good at. In 2019 we had a couple great receivers and a really smart QB, and we had a really fun offense. With Mo we had a dominant RB, one of the best in college football so we leaned on him. This past year we had a banged up backfield, a receiving corps that dropped a ton of passes and a QB who was extremely inconsistent. Tough to run an offense and really tough to evaluate the coordinator.

Fleck may be dictating during the game if he wants run or pass and things like that but he doesn't have a play sheet on him so he isn't making the play calls themselves. I know most of the time when they show him on the sidelines he isn't even talking into the headset.

LB injuries and inexperience played a huge role in this as well.

if MN wants a competitive program, show the money

Why should they?? They have a competitive program: the Vikings.

I guarantee more out-state people care about the Vikings than the Gophers, which is where you’d like that to be reversed more so than the metro.

And with the Vikings, it’s a level playing field. They just have to make the right choices, and they can win a championship as easily as any other franchise.

Gophers, no chance. Everything in CFB is stacked against programs like the U right now to the nth degree.
Oh, woe is me. Yikes give it a rest.

A football coach at a B1G school is coaching and recruiting and selling the program to boosters, doing PR in the form of radio and TV and social media, visiting hospitals, planning itineraries for team travel, dreaming up ways to keep the team motivated, working with assistants in design of game plans for upcoming opponents, reading and digesting scouting reports, spending hours in film study (of opponents, recruiting targets, his own team's practices and games, transfer targets), coming up with pre-game and halftime pep talks, hiring and firing assistants, and on and on. In addition, a younger coach like Fleck has kids and a wife that need and deserve a good chunk of his time and attention back at home. He's also now dealing with the portal, planning his scholarship count and roster makeup, while being involved in all sorts of minutiae such as team nutrition, making sure 18-20-something year old athletes go to class, etc.

Yes, he should find probably also find time to "listen to other ideas and points of view" as well.

My question: how much of his time should he dedicate to that, and at the expense of which items I've mentioned?

By listen to other ideas and points of view - I am talking about other coaches. IMHO Fleck has a very narrow view of how to coach football. I would like to see Fleck expand his horizons - look at different systems, different approaches. these are things that would be done in the off-season. sit down with coaches from other programs and pick their brains on their approach to offense and the passing game. who knows - Fleck might even learn something that might cause him to alter his approach.

Fleck is the Head Coach - not the OC or the DC. He is the CEO of the program. the OC and the DC are responsible for the bulk of the game-planning and play-calling. My advice to Fleck would be to let the coordinators coordinate while Fleck deals with the big-picture stuff.

Fleck has done a decent job here and got us to the Jerry Kill/Glenn Mason level which is where we at least need to be. I don't think he should be fired, but I do think his conservative nature has turned me off from the team. My request would be to make the team/games fun somehow again. As someone with young children and limited time it is really hard for me to justify going to Dinkytown to watch the team punt from the opponents 43 yard line on 4th and 3. The games are boring. Find the money to get a competent QB to pair with Jackson and get back to a 2019 level offense again before I die. I would hope the guy making 6M a year would have a plan on how to get there. I don't think that is too much to ask.

I could also really do without Flecks incessant whining about NIL money and saying "its on me" after every mind boggling loss.

I would if I could.
I wasn't trying to corner you or anything like that. I'm just wondering if you are tweaking Fleck when he mentions "spiritual" or if you believe it should be stressed more like it seems to be at some programs.

I wasn't trying to corner you or anything like that. I'm just wondering if you are tweaking Fleck when he mentions "spiritual" or if you believe it should be stressed more like it seems to be at some programs.
Most definitely tweaking Fleck.

Top Bottom