Question for Gopher Pops

RaT

Reaction score
I am not too sure who your son is, but I think I have a decent guess. Maybe a certain DE from Kentucky????

The question I have is, has your son given you any inisght to how some of our young OL are coming along? I am mainly talking about guys that we haven't seen anything from yet. Redshirts, Freshman, etc.

I have high hopes for the future mainly because I truly believe that our O-Line is being constructed from the ground up the right way. Any thoughts?

not from kentucky

I am not too sure who your son is, but I think I have a decent guess. Maybe a certain DE from Kentucky????

The question I have is, has your son given you any inisght to how some of our young OL are coming along? I am mainly talking about guys that we haven't seen anything from yet. Redshirts, Freshman, etc.

I have high hopes for the future mainly because I truly believe that our O-Line is being constructed from the ground up the right way. Any thoughts?

you are absolutely correct.. the offensive line that we had in place the last three years were geared to play the spread which is a lot of zone blocking from an up position.... to run a pro set requires the type o line that puts their hand on the ground and flat knock your head off.. different philosophy that requires a different skill set... so the o line is being built from the ground up the right way to take it a step forward Brewster is using the texas oaklahoma model to build his whole team..... staring with the defense he put all of his best athletes on defense

the defense now has speed and depth at every position and has its foundation set to build on
now he is putting the pieces in place to build the offense the same way so he can be good on both sides of the ball.....

First off, thanks for the reply.

It seems to me that the Gophs are really going after some really big hogs to play both the tackle and the guard position. I am talking the 6'6"-6'8" 280+ guys.

What I am really curious about is if Olson or Brooks Michel are going to be in a position to get some playing time next year and actually be prepared to start, or if we are going to wait another year or two on them.

It seems to me that the Gophs are really going after some really big hogs to play both the tackle and the guard position. I am talking the 6'6"-6'8" 280+ guys.

What I am really curious about is if Olson or Brooks Michel are going to be in a position to get some playing time next year and actually be prepared to start, or if we are going to wait another year or two on them.

what you have to do is see who the two deeps were during bowl practice when the seniors were not on the field and that will give you a decent idea about next year

Anyone happen to know what the two deeps were during bowl practice?

I've heard good things about where Olson (G), Michel (T), and Mottla (C) are in their development. We'll see in the spring where all three of these guys and Campion (likely C) are in terms of competing for playing time. FWIW I think there is a good chance you'll see some if not all of them in the two deep.

RaT, I believe gopher pops is the father of an offensive lineman. I think if you research his posts he stated who it was in one of his posts.

RaT, I believe gopher pops is the father of an offensive lineman. I think if you research his posts he stated who it was in one of his posts.

I think you might be thinking of Jeff Wills father who has posted on here before, and I don't believe is gopherpops.

who i am or am not

I dont mind answering questions and i like posting and talking with you great fans minnesota for the most part has been very good for our family and very good to our son and as i said before he is having the time of his life .. i do not mind sharing insights from a players perspective being that i played from a coaching perspective being that i have coached and from a parents perspective being that i have been blessed to have more than one son to make it to the next level as well as nephews and uncles i am proud of that legacy

My son plays offense i am not mr wilhite mr wills or mr maresh i know i spelled that wrong and even though my son plays offense i am a defensive guy so most of my post are about the defensive side of the ball
but as far as who i am or who my son is that is far as i am willing to go i look forward to continue reading your post and answering your questions

The Gophers appear to have the players in the system to make the O-Line one of the strengths of the team next season. I would love to know who can take over the starting center position and make it a dominating position next season. Does anyone have any info on the health of Ryan Wynn/Josh Campion? I like both of these guys size at 6-5/300. Is Ed Olson another player the Gophers are looking at to compete at Center or has he been moved over to Guard?

The guard position should really be a battle next season with a good number of players ready to compete. Chris Bunders, Matt Carufel, Ryan Orton, Brooks Michel, D.J Burris and Trey Davis are returning players who have the size/strength at this point to do the job.

The Tackle position needs to be improved and hopefully Wills can be a dominant one next season. Dominic Alford has the size and I am going to be watching him closely tomorrow night in the bowl game. Alford has played quite a bit the past 3 years and should also be a dominant player next season as a senior. Brewster is bringing in some big O-Linemen again with this class with Gjere and Ragoo and Eggen already big enough sizewise at 6-7,6-7,6-5/300 plus. Henderson of course would/could make the Tackle position a position of strength and I think there is a good chance he will come to the U,

The Gophers have the numbers and have developed quite a bit of depth the past 2 years so it's time for these guys to step up next summer/fall and be a strength for them in time for next season.

Will Olson-Wynn-Campion take over at Center is my biggest question?

I really think Campion will be RS next season (along with Ragoo and Gjere).

Yes, that is who I was thinking of, Wills. Sorry for the potential mistaken identity. Also thanks for your comments and perspective. I hope the offensive line becomes a strength nest year. It will open up somany possibilities.

I think one think to keep in mind is that the coaches are really trying to establish some consistency. A player is going to really have to appear to be a major upgrade before a starter gets bumped. You should hedge your projections accordingly.

He has said that his son signed as part of the 2008 class. He has also said that his son is an offensive lineman. Since those two are mutually exclusive, he is obviously being untruthful about one or the other.

I personally don't care whether Mr. Wilhite wishes to reveal himself or not, but I don't see the purpose in misdirecting everyone.

He has said that his son signed as part of the 2008 class. He has also said that his son is an offensive lineman. Since those two are mutually exclusive, he is obviously being untruthful about one or the other.

I personally don't care whether Mr. Wilhite wishes to reveal himself or not, but I don't see the purpose in misdirecting everyone.

Are you Woodward or Bernstein?

He said his kid would be irate if he found out his dad was posting on here, so I have no issues with him being vague or less than forthcoming with his identity. Can't we just be cool with him sharing his perspective without trying to divine who his son is?

Reread what Gopherpops said, he said his son plays offense, no mention of where.

Reread what Gopherpops said, he said his son plays offense, no mention of where.

From 11/16/2009:

my son plays on the offensive line so please stop

As for Mr. Kant's question:

He said his kid would be irate if he found out his dad was posting on here, so I have no issues with him being vague or less than forthcoming with his identity. Can't we just be cool with him sharing his perspective without trying to divine who his son is?

I have already answered this:

Like I said, it's up to him whether or not to state his identity. If I were him, I would just respond with silence when asked about my identity. By giving hints as to who he is, he is inviting this type of questioning. And when it is painfully obvious that he is not being truthful as to who he is not (but not necessarily who he is), it makes me question whether or not he is being entirely truthful with the rest of his "insider" information.

Like I said, it's up to him whether or not to state his identity. If I were him, I would just respond with silence when asked about my identity. By giving hints as to who he is, he is inviting this type of questioning. And when it is painfully obvious that he is not being truthful as to who he is not (but not necessarily who he is), it makes me question whether or not he is being entirely truthful with the rest of his "insider" information.

I'm not sure, Bob, that responding in the negative to another's assertion is an invitation to this type of questioning. Regardless, it makes no difference what I think. It's your world, we're just living in it.

Is it possible that his statements (1. son recruited in 2008 and 2. plays on the offensive line) are not incompatible? Maybe I'm straying outside of the reasonable box here, but must one necessarily be a T, G, or C to be considered playing on the offensive line.

It's an Internet message board. My default position is that no one is being entirely truthful. I end up a lot less disappointed and bitter at the world that way. You should give it a try.

Is it possible that his statements (1. son recruited in 2008 and 2. plays on the offensive line) are not incompatible? Maybe I'm straying outside of the reasonable box here, but must one necessarily be a T, G, or C to be considered playing on the offensive line.

I didn't even want to get into this, but do three things for me:

1) Look up who Tim Cross recruited in the 2008 class (as he has already noted his son was recruited by Cross).
2) Note GP's references to the "weather in KY".
3) Note whom he references in his very first post.

He didn't exactly rent a marquee on Broadway or anything, but he might as well have. It's not all that difficult for anyone who's been paying attention.

It's an Internet message board. My default position is that no one is being entirely truthful. I end up a lot less disappointed and bitter at the world that way. You should give it a try.

When it's an average schlub (like you or me), I really don't care whether or not they're truthful, just whether they're right or wrong.

But this particular poster "outed" himself as a player's father on his second post. He didn't have to do that. He did so because he wanted to draw attention to himself. He also gained instant legitimacy and credibility by doing so. His truthfulness is important, because if we can't believe certain things he posts, who's to say we can believe any? He's either not telling the truth about all of the things I mentioned above, or he's not telling the truth about his son playing on the offensive line. Both cannot be true. The two are incompatible.

I very much like having gopher pops on this board, and I value his insights into the program. I guess I just don't like people taking a sh*t in my hand and calling it chocolate ice cream.

I didn't even want to get into this, but do three things for me:

1) Look up who Tim Cross recruited in the 2008 class (as he has already noted his son was recruited by Cross).
2) Note GP's references to the "weather in KY".
3) Note whom he references in his very first post.

He didn't exactly rent a marquee on Broadway or anything, but he might as well have. It's not all that difficult for anyone who's been paying attention.

Nice work. I = PWN3D

When it's an average schlub (like you or me), I really don't care whether or not they're truthful, just whether they're right or wrong.

But this particular poster "outed" himself as a player's father on his second post. He didn't have to do that. He did so because he wanted to draw attention to himself. He also gained instant legitimacy and credibility by doing so. His truthfulness is important, because if we can't believe certain things he posts, who's to say we can believe any? He's either not telling the truth about all of the things I mentioned above, or he's not telling the truth about his son playing on the offensive line. Both cannot be true. The two are incompatible.

I very much like having gopher pops on this board, and I value his insights into the program. I guess I just don't like people taking a sh*t in my hand and calling it chocolate ice cream.

Fair enough. I just don't think it makes much difference whether he absolutely is who he claims to be. At the end of the day, whether he is, in fact, Mr. Wilhite has no effect on my life or perception of the program. He brings an interesting perspective, but I won't lose any sleep if it turns out he's a fraud. Consequently, I don't see any imperative need to parse his every word looking for inconsistencies.

At any rate, let's all hope Mr. Wilhite's son has a good game today. Whether he posts on this board or not. :)

Top Bottom