Question for FOT

MinnMarchDTF

Musical Magician
Reaction score
If you're around. ESPN said that this is the first time Tubby Smith has been 8-0. Is this true?

From what I understand, this is true as per gophersports report on Gophers and Tubby.

that's gophersports.com, official site of Minnesota Gopher Athletics.

From what I understand, this is true as per gophersports report on Gophers and Tubby.
Some may need to wait for confirmation from Tubby's biographer to find out what is, what was, et cetera ;)

If you're around. ESPN said that this is the first time Tubby Smith has been 8-0. Is this true?

He has never been 8-0 at Tulsa, Georgia, or Kentucky. I don't know about prior coaching stops (as head coach of HS teams).

He is one of only 12 coaches to FINISH 6-0 though.

I think what the question is: Is the the first time in Tubby's illustrious COLLEGE coaching career that he has been 8-0, and the answer is YES. Check gophersports.com about it, they know more than I. Remember, everyone: Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift, hence it is called the Present. Today, We are 8-0, so GO GOPHERS!!!!!

He is one of only 12 coaches to FINISH 6-0 though.

You lost me here. Assuming we're only talking college coaches, every coach who won the NCAA tournament since it went to 64 teams have finished 6-0. Similarly for the NIT tournament winners, except you had to have won the game prior to getting in to the NIT tourney. And I don't remember how many games were played in the old CCIT tourney, but the same theory holds. Then there were the days before the 64 team tourney, when you'd have to win some number of regular season/conf tourney games plus the NCAA tourney to end 6-0. And then in the old days of very few teams making the tourney, you could be in a minor conference and have no chance to be invited, and simply win your last 6 games. YOur claiming that that entire group is 12 people?

You lost me here. Assuming we're only talking college coaches, every coach who won the NCAA tournament since it went to 64 teams have finished 6-0. Similarly for the NIT tournament winners, except you had to have won the game prior to getting in to the NIT tourney. And I don't remember how many games were played in the old CCIT tourney, but the same theory holds. Then there were the days before the 64 team tourney, when you'd have to win some number of regular season/conf tourney games plus the NCAA tourney to end 6-0. And then in the old days of very few teams making the tourney, you could be in a minor conference and have no chance to be invited, and simply win your last 6 games. YOur claiming that that entire group is 12 people?

He's one of 12 active coaches with NCAA title(s) to his credit, hence the 6-0 finish.

Actually, Tubby had never started 7-0, either.

Thanks GG. That philosophy is applicable to all phases of life. What is, is; What was, can't be changed; What ever will be, will be, K sarrah sarrah. :) GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!

You can't have won the game prior to the NIT, and then go on to the NIT, because winning the game beforehand would imply that you have won your conference tournament. The only exception to this is (I believe) if you are in the Ivy League.

You could have happened not all that long ago in the Big Ten or the Pac-10 the two leagues that went the longest before adding a conference tournament.

I actually looked up whether the Gophers won their final six in 1993, but they didn't as they lost to Ohio State in the regular season finale. That team did win seven of its last eight.

Just did a little research. In 1997, Michigan actually won its last seven games. Last two in the regular season and then five in a row to win the NIT.

What's the status of Tubby's contract, are we still only on a handshake deal? With the Arizona opening still sitting there, it has me a bit nervous.

Nope, Tubby signed a contract early last season, about a year ago.

You can't have won the game prior to the NIT, and then go on to the NIT, because winning the game beforehand would imply that you have won your conference tournament. The only exception to this is (I believe) if you are in the Ivy League.

That's true today, but for the greater part of basketball history, lots of conferences didn't have tournaments, or tournament winners didn't get auto invites. You don't have to go very far back--CLem Haskins--to find a time when the big ten didn't have a tourney--and I thinkCLem might have fnished 6-0 one of those years (ignoring whether the NCAA subsequently wiped out the record.)

That's true today, but for the greater part of basketball history, lots of conferences didn't have tournaments, or tournament winners didn't get auto invites. You don't have to go very far back--CLem Haskins--to find a time when the big ten didn't have a tourney--and I thinkCLem might have fnished 6-0 one of those years (ignoring whether the NCAA subsequently wiped out the record.)

Teams that win their last 6 games in the regular season usually go to postseason event.

Top Bottom