Question about tailgating at the State Fairgrounds lot

DillonPGP

Reaction score
I am trying to plan a trip to see your new stadium this season and in looking over the parking information recently, it would seem that the only place that will allow tailgating on a single ticket (parking) basis is the lot at the State Fair.

I was wondering if anyone had experience parking there in 2009? Specifically what kind of crowd was out there, was there any sense of "event" around being in a lot that is completely removed from the stadium environment? How is the shuttle service that runs between the State Fair and the stadium? Do the buses get bogged down in the rest of the traffic near the stadium or does the university make it a priority to keep the buses moving? What is the ratio of Gopher fans to those from visiting schools? Is the "supervision" of the lot (for the lack of a better term) adequate, overbearing or non-existent?

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

Good tailgating, despite the remote location. Probably 80 percent Gopher fans (somewhat lower for the Wisky game last year). The shuttle worked well, after the disastrous first game. Supervision is good - they won't bother you if you follow the rules. If you're in a hurry to leave afterwards, the lot empties out pretty quickly.

I have never parked there for games, but traffic should not be an issue, the road they drive on is a bus only route.

The tailgating was great and the atmosphere was awesome had alot of fun, being a first time season ticket holder. Shuttle service worked very well doesn't take long to get to the stadium.

Lots of tailgating. Good atmosphere. The cops will patrol around the lot every so often but as long as you are drinking beer from a can and not causing a scene they will leave you alone. The shuttle to the stadium is quick and easy. Taking the shuttle back to the lot after the game can take awhile though. The lines can last anywhere from 20-40 minutes. I would suggest heading to one of the bars after the game and enjoying a beer or two, then walk back to the shuttle line and you'll have no wait time. That's what we did and it worked beautifully.

To me, that tailgating lot being over in St. Paul is really my only complaint with the new stadium. I didn't care for the atmosphere at all. It's just so far away, and knowing that you've got a bus ride awaiting you on both ends really takes away from the whole experience. I know space is very limited, but I wish they could have somehow found space to accommodate all the tailgaters within walking distance of the stadium. The thing that frustrated me the most was to see that expensive lot right at the stadium sitting almost completely empty every game (at least when I walked by).

Thank you to those who chimed in with observations from the State Fairgrounds. They were greatly appreciated.

Especially glad to know the shuttle is reliable (and on a designated route). Also glad to know that common sense prevails when it comes to security - something that is becoming increasingly rare in a couple of places around the league, I am sorry to say.

Top Bottom