Question about regulation of prep schools ...What is really going on at Findlay Prep?

WanderingGopher

Reaction score
You can move this to the Vaughn thread if you like, but IMO those are becoming a mess. My question is, what are the limits to what a prep program like Findlay can do?

Are there any limits on what they can pay their coaches? On the number of coaches they can have? What's to stop a booster like Cliff Findlay from thinking, hey, let's pay Vaughn's handler $200,000 a year to be an assistant at Findlay (probably 5x teaching salary at Cooper), to create some good will and get Vaughn to Vegas? What's to stop them from telling Kaffey he can stay on for a year or two after Vaughn leaves Findlay, knowing that that would increase the likelihood of Vaughn staying in Vegas?

Are there limits on what benefits the hs prep program can provide to their players?

Here you have a program created and funded by a UNLV booster (Cliff Findlay), with the purpose of bringing 12 or so of the top high school bb players around the world to Las Vegas for their jr or sr years. It's not a school so there are no Las Vegas high school regulations, and it's not a college of course.

While of course UNLV itself cannot provide benefits, you now have a situation where the former coach at Findlay (Todd Simon) is now assistant and big time recruiter at UNLV. I would add that current head coach Dave Rice was an assistant under notorious "rule stretcher" Jerry Tarkanian. And regardless of limits on UNLV itself, here you have a high school age "program" that basically snatches up top kids from their home programs, like Vaughn, and sets them down in Vegas during the most critical part of their recruiting period.

I guess what I'm wondering is, has this booster creating the perfect, "legal" mechanism for influencing recruits to his favorite college? I don't know much about Prime Prep in Dallas, but from what I've heard it might be similar.

Findlay - high school without the school

You can move this to the Vaughn thread if you like, but IMO those are becoming a mess. My question is, what are the limits to what a prep program like Findlay can do?

Are there any limits on what they can pay their coaches? On the number of coaches they can have? What's to stop a booster like Cliff Findlay from thinking, hey, let's pay Vaughn's handler $200,000 a year to be an assistant at Findlay (probably 5x teaching salary at Cooper), to create some good will and get Vaughn to Vegas? What's to stop them from telling Kaffey he can stay on for a year or two after Vaughn leaves Findlay, knowing that that would increase the likelihood of Vaughn staying in Vegas?

Are there limits on what benefits the hs prep program can provide to their players?

Here you have a program created and funded by a UNLV booster (Cliff Findlay), with the purpose of bringing 12 or so of the top high school bb players around the world to Las Vegas for their jr or sr years. It's not a school so there are no Las Vegas high school regulations, and it's not a college of course.

While of course UNLV itself cannot provide benefits, you now have a situation where the former coach at Findlay (Todd Simon) is now assistant and big time recruiter at UNLV. I would add that current head coach Dave Rice was an assistant under notorious "rule stretcher" Jerry Tarkanian. And regardless of limits on UNLV itself, here you have a high school age "program" that basically snatches up top kids from their home programs, like Vaughn, and sets them down in Vegas during the most critical part of their recruiting period.

I guess what I'm wondering is, has this booster creating the perfect, "legal" mechanism for influencing recruits to his favorite college? I don't know much about Prime Prep in Dallas, but from what I've heard it might be similar.

Findlay - high school without the school

What is really going on at Findlay Prep? Shenanigans. Shenanigans are going on at Findlay Prep.

Top Bottom