Queation?

Rog

Reaction score
Is a targeting call ever made on a offense player, the running back? I have seen many running backs lower their head and hit the tackler's helmet. ie Brooks.

Follow up question: doesn't targeting need to be on a defenseless player? I think it does but I'm not sure. Which is why I think they don't call it on a RB going into a tackler. But it could be called on an offensive player who's making a block and leads with the helmet. Similar to the Iowa player who nearly decapitated somebody on a punt return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is a targeting call ever made on a offense player, the running back? I have seen many running backs lower their head and hit the tackler's helmet. ie Brooks.

It can be. Though I have never seen it

Follow up question: doesn't targeting need to be on a defenseless player? I think it does but I'm not sure. Which is why I think they don't call it on a RB going into a tackler. But it could be called on an offensive player who's making a block and leads with the helmet. Similar to the Iowa player who nearly decapitated somebody on a punt return.

Targeting does not need to be on a defenseless player

Probably would be flagrant foul if he is defenseless.

Last night two USC defensive ends crushed the Alabama QB between them. One began the tackle, while the other one speared him in the head while he sank to his knees/ fell down. It was accidental but still helmet to helmet. It wasnt called. I found that puzzling, considering the Celestin ejection.

When the intent of the tackler is thrown out of the equation I think we have entered la la land. The official should have the ability to judge intent to injure vs inadvertant contact. There is really no way some of the inadvertant contacts can be eliminated when bodies are in motion.

Zero tolerance. Similar to the boy scout being expelled for having his pocketknife in his backpack, etc. What was the intent?

Here's what I want to know, how is it your QB can have two or three blatant targeting calls reversed on him in one season but get three called against your D in one game?

A couple of things 1. It's the first year after the rule change it might take awhile to understand how they're calling it. 2. The officials for our game were PAC 12, the officials for the USC game were SEC, if they followed the normal pattern of the visiting teams conference provides the officials. There will be differences in interpretation until the NCAA provide clarification.

Here's the thing, there will be more injuries with QB's sliding. The kids now days are so quick and fast it is almost impossible to time a acceptable tackle. Remove the sliding rule, period!

Here's the thing, there will be more injuries with QB's sliding. The kids now days are so quick and fast it is almost impossible to time a acceptable tackle. Remove the sliding rule, period!

Anyone watching the Iowa game saw one Iowa play ejected but the officials missed another with a head first hit on a receiver far worst than the last two for the Gophers. Absolutely ridiculous if the rule isn't interpreted the same by all the conferences.

It is a good queation.

Ok, so I wasn't smart enough to record the game, my queation is can I watch a replay somewhere on line? Not seeing it on BTN2Go.

Nevar mind. Found it.

A couple of things 1. It's the first year after the rule change it might take awhile to understand how they're calling it. 2. The officials for our game were PAC 12, the officials for the USC game were SEC, if they followed the normal pattern of the visiting teams conference provides the officials. There will be differences in interpretation until the NCAA provide clarification.

Rule change only impacted 1 of 3 call against Gophs...the sliding QB.

Top Bottom