Qualifying score for Trabis "best 'n Nation" Ward

We should not be taking risks on these guys because it makes us look worse both as an athletic program and as an institution of higher learning.

I take myself very seriously as opposed to some of you on here with your rediculous and unfunded opinions.

NOTE: I realize there a many very good high school student athletes, but for this discussion, I'm referring to those that haven't had a good academic experience in high school.

You have NO idea what kind of risk any player is going to be, unless you know them personally. For athletes, test scores and high school grades usually aren't an indicator for how academically well they may do at college. Many players are allowed to pretty much take high school off and therefore haven't learned what they need to know for the ACT/SAT tests. They may also have been given better high school grades than they deserve, so they can't be really judged by that either. Players coming from a lenient high school, most likely haven't learned a good study skill set.

What is more important than high school grades and entrance exams are desire, work ethic and dedication. Just about any person that has those attributes can enter a college football program and succeed academically at all but a few colleges. At Minnesota, they have put together a very good academic program for athletes. If needed, there are tutors, resources, and a staff motivated to help the athlete pass their classes. To flunk out of a Minnesota athletics program takes someone that just doesn't want to better themselves.

So when a coach is recruiting a player, do their current grades really mean all that much? Maybe, or maybe not. What is equally important is the type of person the athlete is. Are they driven to do better, do they care about others, do they play for themselves or for their team? Obviously, there are many aspects to look at, but it's just not one thing like grades, or a test, or something else. When an offer is made, good coaches are looking at the entire profile of the player, and if there are deficiencies does the college have the resources to help the player.

I'm confident that Brewster's staff knows what they are doing and are attempting to recruit the best football players that will also be able to graduate from Minnesota.

i have known a LOT of very smart people in my life and i have come to the conclusion that the best judge of natural intelligence is a sharp wit and good sense of humor.

when i saw trabis in that interview at the miami camp, i could tell the guy was sharp, and he made me laugh.

i think that he is the kind of guy i would have loved to have taken a class with at the U. i bet he has people laughing all the time.

here's that interview

That's my experience as well. It takes a smart person to really be funny. In that interview it seemed he was just rolling with the interviewer until he answered a couple questions about his team, and then he became a little more serious and had the answer right away. I'd love for him to choose the Gophers.

I see on Rivals that South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida State, and Ohio State are included with Minnesota as medium interest. Also lists an offer from tOSU.

I don't think that list is accurate/up to date.

I really think that losing the coach ( mcdonald ) who was recruiting him has hurt us. I guarantee if he was still our coach, Ward would be ours.

totally agree herbs. btown is right though. that list hasnt been updated in a long time except for them adding us to his list

Top Bottom