QB situation at the U of M - i only go back at far as 1989 but

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO....But in the last 50 some years name me one Minnesota bred QB that has had great success at Minnesota?
You can't. And whose to say the two most noteworthy QB, Chris Weinke and Steve Walsh would have succeeded at
the U. And don't bring up Stocco ( sp ) who went to Becky. All he did was hand the ball off Bottom line. Don't recruit
Minnesota bred QB'S. The jury is out on Mitch. I hope he succeeds.

JMO....But in the last 50 some years name me one Minnesota bred QB that has had great success at Minnesota?
You can't. And whose to say the two most noteworthy QB, Chris Weinke and Steve Walsh would have succeeded at
the U. And don't bring up Stocco ( sp ) who went to Becky. All he did was hand the ball off Bottom line. Don't recruit
Minnesota bred QB'S. The jury is out on Mitch. I hope he succeeds.

By that logic what states are there that we can we recruit quarterbacks from? There aren't that many states from which we have had quarterbacks that have had "great success" at Minnesota.

The quarterback position is sort of emblematic of the whole program in the last 50 years. It's faulty logic to think the problem is that we recruited qbs from minnesota. Just like people suggested that the 77-0 drubbing still affected the kids going into last years Nebraska game. Some of those kids parents weren't even born yet. Some "facts" don't lend themselves to logical conclusions. It is a fact that minnesota born quarterbacks have sucked for the gophers. Skookm brilliantly stated that all the non-native ones have sucked too. Sandy Stephens was awesome and from Pittsburg. Maybe we should only scout and recruit players from the greater Pittsburg area. That's the dumb conclusion "facts" can sometimes lead us to. We need good players. Hopefully kill can change it. I don't care one bit where they are from. Although I'd prefer Minnesotans.

Marquelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Fleeeeeet-wooooooooooooooooooooooood

ah, good times

All-Name Team at least.

I don't think Leidner coming off of last season is any more dire of a situation that Nelson coming off of his freshman season. Heck, there were plenty of stretches where people were arguing that FR Leidner was playing better than SO Nelson last year. I think Leidner this season is going to be better than Nelson was last year. At least so long as he remembers the "tuck" part of "tuck and run".

The quarterback position is sort of emblematic of the whole program in the last 50 years. It's faulty logic to think the problem is that we recruited qbs from minnesota. Just like people suggested that the 77-0 drubbing still affected the kids going into last years Nebraska game. Some of those kids parents weren't even born yet. Some "facts" don't lend themselves to logical conclusions. It is a fact that minnesota born quarterbacks have sucked for the gophers. Skookm brilliantly stated that all the non-native ones have sucked too. Sandy Stephens was awesome and from Pittsburg. Maybe we should only scout and recruit players from the greater Pittsburg area. That's the dumb conclusion "facts" can sometimes lead us to. We need good players. Hopefully kill can change it. I don't care one bit where they are from. Although I'd prefer Minnesotans.

I agree, that is faulty logic or maybe it is just muddled thinking. On one hand you say you "don't care one bit" but then you say "Although I'd prefer Minnesotans." Not a big deal but I had to check to see if wren wrote it.:rolleyes:

Sandy was from Uniontown PA. The most successful QB's have been from out of State Curtis Wilson was from Lawton Oklahoma, Craig Curry, Miami, Florida, Scott Schaffer, Cincinnati, Ohio, Brian Cupito, Ohio, Ricky Foggie, Laueal, South Carolina, Mike Hoenese, California JC, Tony Dungy, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Wedall Avery, Texas, Margual Fleetwood, Georgia Mark Carlson, Illinois.The Minnesota HS system does not produce elite QB's.As Lou
Holtz said: We'll get the brawn from Minnesota and the arms and legs cofrom out of State. There is about 30 years of
QB's there boys. I could also add Ray Stephens, Tim Salem , Corey Sauter. And who engineered the upset of Penn State in Happy Valley? Billy Cockerham. I will also add the 1962 QB tandem of Joe Salem, South Dakota, and yes Anoka Minnesota QB Duane Blaska. So guys, The only QB from Minnesota that had any margin of success was Adam Weber.

Just like people suggested that the 77-0 drubbing still affected the kids going into last years Nebraska game. Some of those kids parents weren't even born yet.

Let's analyze these two sentences for a moment. I'm assuming you meant 84-13. Going off that assumption, that game was in 1983. Let's assume, again, that the very youngest player on the team last fall was 17, meaning he was born in 1996. I very much doubt that there were any 2013 Gophers players whose parents were less than 13 years old when that player was born. Just a hunch.

Yeah, it's not like we've ever had any #1 overall in the nation football prospects who were MN HS QBs.

Probably the two higest ranked nationally were Weinke and Walsh. I also think Mauer was ranked pretty high. You
have to wonder about toughness concerning Mauer and football. There was a blip in the Pioneer Press in the early days of Spring Traing that Mauer was out because of a " hurt " finger.

Terry Baker
Todd Bouman
Dean Carlson
Jacky Lee
Ron Meyer
Mark Reed
Cory Sauter
Jack Trudeau
Steve Walsh
Chris Weinke

These guys played in the NFL and were born in Minnesota. They must have been decent collegiately.

George Burnside
Leonard Calligaro
Donald Curtin
Randolph Dean
Jerry Golsteyn
Chris Greisen
James Haluska
David Krieg
Bruce Mathison
Richard Neuheisel
Dudley Pearson
Ward Saunders
Jay Schroeder
Gilbert Sterr
Timothy Van Galder
Ronald Vander Kelen

This is the list from Wisconsin. Its not much different.

I wonder if their boards are full of people begging Bucky not to recruit QB's from Wisconsin.

Terry Baker
Todd Bouman
Dean Carlson
Jacky Lee
Ron Meyer
Mark Reed
Cory Sauter
Jack Trudeau
Steve Walsh
Chris Weinke

These guys played in the NFL and were born in Minnesota. They must have been decent collegiately.

George Burnside
Leonard Calligaro
Donald Curtin
Randolph Dean
Jerry Golsteyn
Chris Greisen
James Haluska
David Krieg
Bruce Mathison
Richard Neuheisel
Dudley Pearson
Ward Saunders
Jay Schroeder
Gilbert Sterr
Timothy Van Galder
Ronald Vander Kelen

This is the list from Wisconsin. Its not much different.
my yes, and what storied careers they had. You might as well add Weber. Geez, what a BS
post.

1 week later we have learned

2004 the U was poor in qb depth. 10 yrs later we are again in the soup.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic due to your double checking of posts, but I feel that sarcasm is rarely your schtick. Thus, I felt the need to point out the following:

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/topclasses.html

Read the caption under the picture.

I still can't decide whether it was a good thing he picked Florida St and then went baseball, or if I'd have preferred he picked MN and then went baseball. Perception at CDH may have changed had he picked us, but the baseball route would have sucked a lot more...

Who led the Gophers too there only two Rose Bowls? . Mauer? Pure conjecture on whether he could have cut it playing college football. His baseball career screams lack of toughness. Bottom line. You don't win with Minnesota
bred QB'S.

Who led the Gophers too there only two Rose Bowls? . Mauer? Pure conjecture on whether he could have cut it playing college football. His baseball career screams lack of toughness. Bottom line. You don't win with Minnesota bred QB'S.

Bottom line. If you throw out the examples that are inconvenient to Ruppert's point and only he can speculate on Joe Mauer (Your assertion he is not tough is pure conjecture too) then he's totally right, bottom line. Also "too there" is priceless.

Bottom line. If you throw out the examples that are inconvenient to Ruppert's point and only he can speculate on Joe Mauer (Your assertion he is not tough is pure conjecture too) then he's totally right, bottom line. Also "too there" is priceless.
Cut me some Deke. I'm doing this on the beach with my I -phone. " His legs are tired " this is what Gardy told Reuse
after Pat asked why Mauer wasn't in the lineup as catcher after a DH role the previous day. ( 2 years ago ) Patrick wrote an article about it with the Gardenhire quote.

Cut me some Deke. I'm doing this on the beach with my I -phone. " His legs are tired " this is what Gardy told Reuse after Pat asked why Mauer wasn't in the lineup as catcher after a DH role the previous day. ( 2 years ago ) Patrick wrote an article about it with the Gardenhire quote.

I'm sorry, I don't want the focus of my comment to be on your grammar error. That was just a jab because your argument is so stupid that the error made it seem dumber. The point is, you can't say "if you don't count Weinke, Walsh, Mauer, Weber, and Bouman, you can't win with Minnesota QBs!"

Mauer is out of the equation because he didn't play. Would Weinke and Walsh been successful at Minnesota? I would say Weber had a marginal career. The point is in 50 plus years a Minnesota bred QB has brought nothing to the table.
Again, look at the list of QB'S I posted.

Mauer is out of the equation because he didn't play. Would Weinke and Walsh been successful at Minnesota? I would say Weber had a marginal career. The point is in 50 plus years a Minnesota bred QB has brought nothing to the table. Again, look at the list of QB'S I posted.

You need to decide what your point is. What does it matter if Weinke and Walsh would have been successful here or not? If your point is that "you can't win with MN QBs," they prove you are wrong.

You need to decide what your point is. What does it matter if Weinke and Walsh would have been successful here or not? If your point is that "you can't win with MN QBs," they prove you are wrong.

AT MINNESOTA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.The whole premise of the topic.

So your premise is that you can't win with Minnesota QBs that choose to come here? That's a nonsense opinion. As others have said, we haven't won with QBs from any other state that have chosen to come here either.

That would be like UTEP saying that you can't win with Texas QBs. Maybe you can't win with a QB from Texas that is of the caliber where UTEP is their best offer, but that point is nonsense, like yours.

You're right….you can't win with a safety from Minnesota that hasn't transferred from Buckyville either. Minnesota safeties can only win at other BCS schools.

ahem.

The topic is worse preseason QB depth than what we have going into 2014.

nutshell/thumbnail-
2004 bad
2013 also bad
1989 better than 2004 with marquel fleetwood having a great qb name.

My mediocre/poor topic has now been saved.

Its funny that you knock my list of Minnesota quarterbacks that made it to the NFL. To me, making it to the NFL is THE DEFINITION of an extremely successful outcome to a college quarterback. It tells you that we have had several of the top 100 quarterbacks on earth at any given time at Minnesota. Which should tell you that there are good quarterbacks that come from Minnesota. It cant tell you anything different.

So if you knew someone who was a quarterback in college and someone asked you if he was any good, and you said, "yeah, hes so good that he made it to the NFL." The person who asked you would not be convinced that he was a good quarterback in college unless he was a well known all-pro NFL quarterback. A good logical response from your friend in your mind would be, "he must have sucked in college, because hes only a backup in the NFL."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom