QB Robert Gregory (Purdue commit) could be back on the market

Reaction score
Rumor has it he could be an admissions casualty due to lack of core requirements (i.e. not ACT or GPA related).

He had Minnesota high on his list IIRC.

not a shock. Kid was too talented to not be more highly sought after

We don't have any scholarships available this fall. At best he's a gray shirt candidate for us. That is if he can even get admitted. I doubt Purdue's admission requirements are any more stringent than ours.

Lack of core requirement can cut two ways, lack of requirements for admission to a particular school, or lack of NCAA core requirements. In the former case he's a full qualifier and can enroll in a JUCO, not play, and have 4yrs to play 4 or enroll in a prep school and have 5yrs to play 4. If the latter if he enrolls in a JUCO program he has to graduate to avoid sitting out a year because of the transfer rule.

We don't have any scholarships available this fall. At best he's a gray shirt candidate for us. That is if he can even get admitted. I doubt Purdue's admission requirements are any more stringent than ours.

I think we do have scholarships available. I could be wrong, but Mitchell left and Hinojosa never enrolled.

I think we do have scholarships available. I could be wrong, but Mitchell left and Hinojosa never enrolled.

First, the Mitchell and Hinojosa scholarships are being used by Duke Anyanwu and Ben Lauer to enroll this fall instead of January as grey shirts. I doubt it if the coaches are looking at this as if there is an extra scholarship available that could be used on Robert Gregory. They have x number of scholarships available and their objective is to recruit x number of players that will best meet their needs. If they think Robert Gregory could be one of these players they will take a look at him, not because Mitchell left and Hinojosa never enrolled.

Well I believe what has been reported is that Bobek is paying his own way for the fall semester because they are currently at the 85 limit for this fall, then will be on scholarship when one opens in the spring.

First, the Mitchell and Hinojosa scholarships are being used by Duke Anyanwu and Ben Lauer to enroll this fall instead of January as grey shirts. I doubt it if the coaches are looking at this as if there is an extra scholarship available that could be used on Robert Gregory. They have x number of scholarships available and their objective is to recruit x number of players that will best meet their needs. If they think Robert Gregory could be one of these players they will take a look at him, not because Mitchell left and Hinojosa never enrolled.

#1: Unless Kill has awarded more walk-ons with schollys, we aren't full. Coaches usually don't do that until August. If we assume that Hahn and Hill had their scholarships (came in as walk ons), we are at 84. I could be wrong on that, but my math seems completely inline with MV at FBT's scholarship grid. But like I said, I could definitely be wrong about that.

#2: I doubt the coaches are looking at Gregory and I wasn't advocating that, I was merely saying that I think we do have a scholarship available if we really wanted to do something. Again, I wasn't hoping Kill would go after Gregory. I understand how recruiting works as far as going after the players that best fit their needs. However, sometimes, things come up (see Bobek) and if Kill wanted to, I think we would have room for Gregory.

#1: Unless Kill has awarded more walk-ons with schollys, we aren't full. Coaches usually don't do that until August. If we assume that Hahn and Hill had their scholarships (came in as walk ons), we are at 84. I could be wrong on that, but my math seems completely inline with MV at FBT's scholarship grid. But like I said, I could definitely be wrong about that.

#2: I doubt the coaches are looking at Gregory and I wasn't advocating that, I was merely saying that I think we do have a scholarship available if we really wanted to do something. Again, I wasn't hoping Kill would go after Gregory. I understand how recruiting works as far as going after the players that best fit their needs. However, sometimes, things come up (see Bobek) and if Kill wanted to, I think we would have room for Gregory.

I don't want to make this into a GopherHole pissing match but of course we have a potential scholarship available now for Robert Gregory! The math is that we will have x number of scholarships available and as long as we still have one less verbal than that we have a scholarships to award we could award Robert Gregory one. It may be that you believe that all the scholarships we have to give out are spoken for but I don’t think it works that way. The coaches have some general objectives in recruiting as to who potentially will receive scholarships but they are constantly are having to make adjustments to this as things play out.

P.S. As far as Bobek nsmike wrote the following about him:
He's not on scholarship until Jan, he's paying for the first semester, so he'll only count against scholarship numbers in the years he's eligible to play. He plugs the only position on the O-line; I had some reservations about, all I see are positives. He's not on scholarship until Jan, he's paying for the first semester, so he'll only count against scholarship numbers in the years he's eligible to play. He plugs the only position on the O-line, I had some reservations about, all I see are positives.
I am not sure why this is the case but I believe it may be because there are no more scholarships available until January.

I suspect we may be arguing over semantics but if you want to clarify this further that is fine but I don’t think I am going to be able clarify what I am trying to get at any further.

#1: If we assume that Hahn and Hill had their scholarships (came in as walk ons), we are at 84.

Hahn has been accepted to grad school at Notre Dame. You'll just have to believe me.

I believe this guy was an elite 11 guy, right?

No, Gregory was not an Elite 11 QB. Purdue is loaded at the QB position so I never really understood why he picked the Boilers - perhaps a position switch?? They have Austin Appleby coming this Fall who is an Elite 11 QB and 2013 commit Danny Etling will likely be an Elite 11 QB as well. Gregory would never take a snap at QB for Purdue.

I don't want to make this into a GopherHole pissing match but of course we have a potential scholarship available now for Robert Gregory! The math is that we will have x number of scholarships available and as long as we still have one less verbal than that we have a scholarships to award we could award Robert Gregory one. It may be that you believe that all the scholarships we have to give out are spoken for but I don’t think it works that way. The coaches have some general objectives in recruiting as to who potentially will receive scholarships but they are constantly are having to make adjustments to this as things play out.

P.S. As far as Bobek nsmike wrote the following about him: I am not sure why this is the case but I believe it may be because there are no more scholarships available until January.

I suspect we may be arguing over semantics but if you want to clarify this further that is fine but I don’t think I am going to be able clarify what I am trying to get at any further.

All my point was that we weren't at 85 for next year. Someone else posted that we already have 85 scholarships, so even if we really wanted Gregory, we'd be SOL. I was merely pointing out that we don't have 85 scholarships for next season (the max). That's all. I wasn't advocating us going after Gregory.

Bob_Loblaw

All my point was that we weren't at 85 for next year. Someone else posted that we already have 85 scholarships, so even if we really wanted Gregory, we'd be SOL. I was merely pointing out that we don't have 85 scholarships for next season (the max). That's all. I wasn't advocating us going after Gregory.

I owe you a big apology. I knew there was something wrong with our exchanges but I kept on missing what it was. Then this morning I woke up and the answer was right there. It must have happened in my sleep because I immediately knew what my problem was. It was that I thought Robert Gregory had decommitted from Purdue for 2013. I now realized that wasn’t the case. What happened was that Purdue had rejected him recently after he had already signed a national letter of intent because he did not qualify. Therefore what you were actually suggesting was that he was now available as a 2012 recruit and maybe we should take him. Again, I thought you were talking about 2013.

Mea culpa. Sorry for all the confussion.

I owe you a big apology. I knew there was something wrong with our exchanges but I kept on missing what it was. Then this morning I woke up and the answer was right there. It must have happened in my sleep because I immediately knew what my problem was. It was that I thought Robert Gregory had decommitted from Purdue for 2013. I now realized that wasn’t the case. What happened was that Purdue had rejected him recently after he had already signed a national letter of intent because he did not qualify. Therefore what you were actually suggesting was that he was now available as a 2012 recruit and maybe we should take him. Again, I thought you were talking about 2013.

Mea culpa. Sorry for all the confussion.

It's all good, I realized that we weren't fully connecting on our exchanges. I thought maybe I was just going crazy in the offseason :)

MinnesotaBoiler99 said:
No, Gregory was not an Elite 11 QB. Purdue is loaded at the QB position so I never really understood why he picked the Boilers - perhaps a position switch?? They have Austin Appleby coming this Fall who is an Elite 11 QB and 2013 commit Danny Etling will likely be an Elite 11 QB as well. Gregory would never take a snap at QB for Purdue.

Thanks, I was thinking o Appleby.

In years past it's been said that the U's admissions were second toughest in the B1G behind NW. I don't know if that is (or ever was) completely true, but I'd be a little surprised if he didn't qualify for PU if he qualified at the U (though it is certainly possible - maybe PU requires knowing what a Boilermaker is?).

After Kill's comment on Grandpa Sports last week that the U will have to cut players to make 105, and that some of those players could be scholarship (Orseske?), the scholarship total could be in flux a little, so they possibly could have one available, if he qualified. Of course, that would mean one more cut for total head count.

I'm wondering if the U has a scholarship available would this make sense? At QB they already have 2 true freshmen coming in, a redshirt freshman, a true sophomore, and a senior. I know a lot of folks think Leidner will switch positions, so I guess my question is do people think that Robert Gregory would be an upgrade over Leidner that would force the position change? I've never seen Gregory play, and I've only seen Leidner in the Spring Game.

And I don't think too many people are pushing hard for the U to sign him, just stating facts that he may be available and he was interested to come here potentially. I'm just kind of throwing out the questions for curiosity's sake.

In years past it's been said that the U's admissions were second toughest in the B1G behind NW.

Link? There is no possible way that the U's admissions are tougher than Michigan. None. I also highly doubt that they are tougher than Wisconsin or Illinois.

After Kill's comment on Grandpa Sports last week that the U will have to cut players to make 105, and that some of those players could be scholarship (Orseske?), the scholarship total could be in flux a little, so they possibly could have one available, if he qualified. Of course, that would mean one more cut for total head count.

That is not what was said. What was said is that there are more than 105 players on the roster, and you can only bring 105 to fall camp. Thus, some roster players will not be suited up, and some of those not suited up may be scholarship players. None of these guys will be cut.

Well there is this little thing called injuries. Ask Wisconsin fans about it. I think they were down to their 3rd or 4th string QB before O'brien transferred.

((Yuck Wisconsin...))

Top Bottom