QB Mitch Leidner updated to...

Reaction score
3*** on Scout. Also Charles Rogers the athlete from Iowa who the Gophers are recruiting has also been updated to 3***

Were Leidner and Lynn on 3M's list? If so, Scout must be mistaken.

But I thought we had to wait and not offer a scholarship until some other BCS school offers a scholarship. After all, they automatically become better then.

I still will be surprised if he is a QB, but the kid is a player.

It appears it could be an honor to be on 3M's list

Were Leidner and Lynn on 3M's list? If so, Scout must be mistaken.

For some strange reason I feel better about a recruit chances knowing that he made 3M's list. Maybe it's my contrarian investing approach that attracts me to his list.

Some of these guys being ranked are simply being seen for the first time. That is why when you have no star players it is a bit of a waiting game until they are looked at by the recruiting services. The same thing is being done across the country and doesnt really say anything about the recruits or how good they are. They real ranking will be decided in 3-5 years when they are actually playing at the college level.

Stars are nice production at the college level will trump all.

I was a senior at Lakeville North High School last year, and we played Lakeville South twice, and Leidner is GOOD. He has a very strong arm and is also accurate with it. My only problem with him is his pocket presence. The first meeting between our teams he was subjected to a lot of blitzes, and he made some poor decisions. Then again, it was one of his first ever varsity games and could have been a little nervous, because when we faced them in the section finals, he picked us apart. So anyway, I think he has a lot more potential than people, and scouting agencies, are giving him credit for.

I think Leidner has a lot of potential. I think he will fit great into Kill's system. He has a very similar skill set and playing style, and I think he could be just as good as Harnish by the time Leidner's a senior. I'll say it again: We're set at QB for the future between Shortell, Nelson, and Leidner! :)

Go Gophers!

I've never seen Leidner play but everyone I know (or virtually know) have said good things about him. Take that and know that Coach Kill saw the kid play QB and offered him the next day (when he already had a QB in the recruiting class)...that makes me have a good feeling about this kid.

Guys like Rosemountain, who watches a lot of HS football and from what I can tell, seems pretty reasonable (isn't always a debby downer and doesn't always think every local kid can play), when they say good things about him, it does mean something (probably more than what Rivals says).

Mitch is a stud, just above Mollberg from Detroit Lakes. I would suspect he'll be switched to free safety after a year or 2 at Minnesota, wouldnt you?

Mitch is a stud, just above Mollberg from Detroit Lakes. I would suspect he'll be switched to free safety after a year or 2 at Minnesota, wouldnt you?

No, he's 6'4" 220. If anything he's a rush linebacker or a DE.

We're set at QB for the future between Shortell, Nelson, and Leidner! :)

Go Gophers!

Along with these guys we also have Parrish (sp?). We will have some great potential and competition over the next several years.

I think Leidner has a lot of potential. I think he will fit great into Kill's system. He has a very similar skill set and playing style, and I think he could be just as good as Harnish by the time Leidner's a senior. I'll say it again: We're set at QB for the future between Shortell, Nelson, and Leidner! :)

Go Gophers!

I agree. Keep 'em all under QB position if at all possible. These are three quality gets. Who to RS is a good problem to have. IMHO, Leidner & Nelson are more multifaceted than Shortell although Shortell looks good on his recruiting videos. I'd say most likely of the three to be No 2 potential QB this season is Shortell, but it's too early to tell.

Kill says it is wide open. Would Parish & Alipate step up? QB is the most intriguing battle shaping up. Gosh, don't you love competition! 'Can't wait.

For the future, we are looking good at QB & OL on paper. Solidifying the WR & RB positions are going to be key offensively. Getting WJ & A McD will certainly help and will lock up the borders.

As we all have seen, anything can happen in college football. There'll be attritions and additions. Who knows how many of these kids will still be around four years from now.

Solidifying the WR & RB positions are going to be key offensively.

I agree with you that we really need some good young WRs, but how can you say we're not set for the future at RB? I'd be shocked if atleast 2 of Edwards, Kirkwood, Wright, Cobb, and Williams don't turn out to be solid.

I agree with you that we really need some good young WRs, but how can you say we're not set for the future at RB? I'd be shocked if atleast 2 of Edwards, Kirkwood, Wright, Cobb, and Williams don't turn out to be solid.

With good offensive line play will come a good running game with the guys we are developing. BTW, I forgot that Dexter Foreman is also in the mix at QB.

IMHO, Leidner & Nelson are more multifaceted than Shortell although Shortell looks good on his recruiting videos. I'd say most likely of the three to be No 2 potential QB this season is Shortell, but it's too early to tell.

Shortell is the only one on the team this coming season, see he definitely has the best shot of the three.

No one cares about some kid from Detroit lakes. The Bison can have him. Is DL even in a conference.

With good offensive line play will come a good running game with the guys we are developing. BTW, I forgot that Dexter Foreman is also in the mix at QB.

I bet Foreman will only be a Wildcat QB. Kill said he wants to start using the wildcat a bit right away so Q doesn't get overused by the end of the year. I doubt Foreman will ever see a ton of reps under center as a true quarterback.

I think Foreman will certainly play that hybrid version of wildcat that you're talking about. Kill has always employed a hybrid Wildcat (not the backup) who gets a bit of PT and I agree that is Foreman, however, he could beat out Shortell. I'm not saying he will, I have no idea, but I think it's hard to really speculate who will be better before either of them has ever even practiced here.

Tweet from Doogie earlier today:

"#Gophers news forgot to mention yesterday: Lakeville So. QB Mitch Leidner told us he'll graduate early so he can participate in spring ball."

Tweet from Doogie earlier today:

"#Gophers news forgot to mention yesterday: Lakeville So. QB Mitch Leidner told us he'll graduate early so he can participate in spring ball."

If i'm not mistaken I think that Phillip Nelson is going to do the same thing.

If i'm not mistaken I think that Phillip Nelson is going to do the same thing.

you_are_correct_sir.jpg

Tweet from Doogie today:

"Leidner has been told to be ready to play TE."

Minnesota kids who graduate early starting this year will get to "take" some of the education aid they "earn (I know, wrong word)" for their school district and use it to defray their first-year of post-secondary cost. I believe the U of M is an eligible recipient under the law passed last session. Any Minnesota athlete in the position to graduate early and head to college would be nuts not to do that (unless they have a spring sport in high school).

Anyone know where the Lakeville North QB (Heid) is heading for college?

Tweet from Doogie today:

"Leidner has been told to be ready to play TE."

Thankfully this means kill is a better evaluator of qb talent than the star tribune who proclaimed Leidner the messiah last summer.

Top Bottom