QB Evers to Wisconsin

alaska

Reaction score
Nick Evers to Wisconsin from Oklahoma. Fickle worked fast. That’s a big time transfer. Thoughts?

They're supposedly still strong after Brennan Armstrong, which seems like it would piss off Evers who was just behind QBs at OU and why he transferred.

While I still have hope that Fickell will dash to OSU in two years, with Wisconsin having burned the bridge with Leonhard and the Alvarez era, we can’t bank on Wisconsin and Iowa getting worse to beat them. The U has to keep investing so we can match them.

I hate to say it but I think Fickell will build them into a really good program again.

Yeah, I’m not familiar with Fickell or their new OC but this has the look and feel like a sea change in offensive philosophy for our friends to the east. Hard to say if Evers will pan out but what, 50:50 odds for a recruit of his stature so it’s likely he won’t stink. Pressure is on Fleck to bring in some passing game talent to complement AK and Knuth. Some way, some how need to get more out of the passing game to keep up.

AK alone elevates the passing game leaps and bounds. If any of the portal WR's pan out, it'll be a big boost.

Gopher fandom better appreciate these last few wins against the Badgers. Luke Fickell is coming in hot and has a ton of money to work with. You bet your sweet ass that he is going to hit the portal/NIL angle hard, particularly after the pathetic recruiting "philosophy" under Paul Chryst. I hate Wisconsin but the minute Fickell was hired, I hope PJ was already in the car on the way to the offie to get back to work.

AK alone elevates the passing game leaps and bounds. If any of the portal WR's pan out, it'll be a big boost.
There’s potential, not a lot of evidence to say “leaps and bounds.” Best evidence is one game against the worst Wisconsin team in a decade. Overall 52% completions and 3 TDs to 4 INTs. Granted Wisconsin’s Evers has no college track record so I agree he’s a 50/50 or maybe 60/40 that he will live up to his ranking. Although it’s probably a 70/30 or more that he will be an upgrade from Mertz and possibly their last few QBs.

While I still have hope that Fickell will dash to OSU in two years, with Wisconsin having burned the bridge with Leonhard and the Alvarez era, we can’t bank on Wisconsin and Iowa getting worse to beat them. The U has to keep investing so we can match them.
wisconsin is currently trying to match Minnesota. Everything they are doing this offseason is something Minnesota already has - a coach who had an undefeated season at a G5, a young 4* QB with potential, etc. They are just behind.

This is a delicious reversal of all the years Minnesota was trying to catch up to wisconsin and seeing what sticks, while wisconsin just kept being consistent.

wisconsin is currently trying to match Minnesota. Everything they are doing this offseason is something Minnesota already has - a coach who had an undefeated season at a G5, a young 4* QB with potential, etc. They are just behind.

This is a delicious reversal of all the years Minnesota was trying to catch up to wisconsin and seeing what sticks, while wisconsin just kept being consistent.
I would add that Fickell took an undefeated season G5 team to the championship playoffs in contrast to MN's undefeated season G5 coach who lost to WI in a bowl game.

Fickell can build a defense, but most of his success at Cincinnati came in large part due to inheriting Desmond Ridder. He has a lot to prove when it comes to recruiting and building an offense, especially at QB.

Chryst was the great offensive mind and QB guru, yet he couldn't figure that part out at Wisconsin.

I would add that Fickell took an undefeated season G5 team to the championship playoffs in contrast to MN's undefeated season G5 coach who lost to WI in a bowl game.
Sure. I also remember being in New Orleans back in 2010 when Bourbon Street was mobbed with Cincinnati fans doing their dumb "Oooooooh, oooooh, oooooooh, UC!" chant before the Sugar Bowl. They had been there before, far more than Western Michigan.

Fickell can build a defense, but most of his success at Cincinnati came in large part due to inheriting Desmond Ridder. He has a lot to prove when it comes to recruiting and building an offense, especially at QB.

Chryst was the great offensive mind and QB guru, yet he couldn't figure that part out at Wisconsin.
Inherited a 2 star recruit via a recruiting? This is beyond confusing logic, who gets credit for developing him?

Last edited:

Inherited a 2 star recruit who hadn't played? This is beyond confusing logic

3 star. Tommy Tuberville's staff did a good job of recruiting an underrated QB that's now a NFL starter. Either way, he was committed to Cincinnati before Fickell was hired.

Fickell's record at Cincinnati with Ridder as the starter: 44-7
Fickell's record at Cincinnati without Ridder as the starter: 13-11

3 star. Tommy Tuberville's staff did a good job of recruiting an underrated QB that's now a NFL starter. Either way, he was committed to Cincinnati before Fickell was hired.

Fickell's record at Cincinnati with Ridder as the starter: 44-7
Fickell's record at Cincinnati without Ridder as the starter: 13-11
Ok got it, Fickell and staff had nothing to do with his development or play!

Gopher fandom better appreciate these last few wins against the Badgers. Luke Fickell is coming in hot and has a ton of money to work with. You bet your sweet ass that he is going to hit the portal/NIL angle hard, particularly after the pathetic recruiting "philosophy" under Paul Chryst. I hate Wisconsin but the minute Fickell was hired, I hope PJ was already in the car on the way to the offie to get back to work.

Really? How much?

A lot of his success had to do with the fact that he built a good team and played a schedule that had 4-5 real games and then 7 dogs.

We will see how he does against a schedule of 2-3 cupcakes and 9-10 tough opponents.
Last time he did that he was 6-6 with Ohio state

I'm sure he did. But you could say the same thing about Ol Jer and Chandler Harnish at Northern Illinois. Yet he couldn't find a QB of that caliber here. The hardest step is getting the right talent on campus.
How dare you!

Wonder how Fickell’s brand of football will translate to the Big, this is quite a departure from big lineman and smash mouth football Wisconsin is accustomed to. Will it fly or flop??

I wonder how well Wisconsin’s new offensive scheme will match up with the “ground and pound” personnel they have. It may be awhile before their recruiting catches up with the change in philosophy.

Our Secondary is one of the current strengths of our Defense. I'm not worried about the defense holding up (assuming they can figure out how to deal with TEs...), But the offense will need to step up next year. Hoping Athan and the WRs can gel and the play calling can open up the passing game a bit.

Are u high, drunk, or both? Wisconsin trying to catch Minnesota in football that’s cute.

Top Bottom