QB Drew Viotto commits to Minnesota!

Not the rating we would like to see, but he got the physical tools/traits you like to see... Hopefully with some good coaching he can surprise us down the road
Higher rated as a junior than Tanner as a senior. Might be rated higher at the end of this fall’s season. Personally, I’m happy with PJ and KC’s decision to offer. They know what they are looking for.

I'm going to start working with my twin nephews and the Nerf ball...they are not quite 5 years old yet, but Walled Lake Western would be their eventual high school. They are a likely Sparty lean but there's still time. Class of '35!
Sparty? Wut? You need to keep reminding them that they live in Gopher Country!

He was committed to Eastern Michigan.

So, I'm not going to turn cartwheels because the Gophers flipped a QB from Eastern Michigan.

He said he committed early because with the transfer portal he didn't want to get screwed.

Has your kid... Or brother... Or whomever he is found a landing spot?? Your bitterness is so obvious
I have seen him throw 7 on 7 and camps, nothing special he will be a filler for the two QB's in the class of 2021 and 2022. Why would I be bitter about picking up this kid, just think there are many that are better.

Ciarrocca was part of a contingent of coaches that came to see Viotto throw at his school in the spring. On that particular day, it rained heavily, but rather than shelf the workout or move it inside, Viotto decided to move forward with the session and showed schools he could handle it. That day laid the foundation for his eventual Gopher offer.

"They said they were impressed with how I threw in those conditions," he said. "It was a down pour and they were impressed with that. The conversations I had with Coach Ciarrocca after, he got to know me more and see what I know about the game and was impressed with that also."

Viotto has not been to campus before, but has an official visit now set for June. He does have a good idea of P.J. Fleck's history and his success prior to Minnesota as well.

"I've been very familiar with them and knowing where they were at at Western Michigan," he said. "I've done research on them. I like how Coach Fleck coaches and his energy. I'm pumped to play for him."

I trust the Gophers coaching staff's live evaluation more than the recruiting sites.

The Gophers will have three intriguing QBs in Athan Kaliakmanis, Jacob Knuth, and Drew Viotto.

Last edited:

I have seen him throw 7 on 7 and camps, nothing special he will be a filler for the two QB's in the class of 2021 and 2022. Why would I be bitter about picking up this kid, just think there are many that are better.
Nothing personal......well maybe a little personal....but you will have to forgive me if I choose to trust the evaluation of KC and Fleck over your take on watching him at a 7 on 7 camp. I mean we all know who you think should be the QB here....and he hasn't exactly lit it up since graduating from high school.

This might be the most positive review I’ve seen Tommyboy give to any QBs Fleck has brought in. Yet he gives rave reviews to the Kowalkowski kid. Is that kid even on a team at any level at this point?

We got ourselves a future 1st round tackle!!

According to 247 at least:

GopherIllustrated: What are his strengths as a player that will allow him to excel at the next level and what are something's he needs to work on before he becomes a Big Ten defensive tackle?

Kory Cioroch: As I mentioned before Drew’s football knowledge and arm talent sets him apart from other quarterbacks. Drew has continued to work on his athletic ability and agility and has been spending the time making sure his body is ready for college ball.

This might be the most positive review I’ve seen Tommyboy give to any QBs Fleck has brought in. Yet he gives rave reviews to the Kowalkowski kid. Is that kid even on a team at any level at this point?
Is the portal a team? He got black balled at UST—like Happy Gilmore at hockey tryouts. Coaches dogged him!! I’m sure it’s tough to decide between Alabama, USC, Ohio State and Oklahoma. Or just taking two years off and getting drafted.

Nope... I imagine it's gotta be extremely hard to transfer from a school like St. Thomas with absolutely zero game film

Nope... I imagine it's gotta be extremely hard to transfer from a school like St. Thomas with absolutely zero game film
The fact he hasn't ended up anywhere yet makes you wonder if the offers (Central Michigan and Ivy League schools) in his high school 24/7 page were real. If they actually were real, he's really gotta be regretting his decision to go to St. Thomas.

We got ourselves a future 1st round tackle!!

According to 247 at least:

GopherIllustrated: What are his strengths as a player that will allow him to excel at the next level and what are something's he needs to work on before he becomes a Big Ten defensive tackle?

Kory Cioroch: As I mentioned before Drew’s football knowledge and arm talent sets him apart from other quarterbacks. Drew has continued to work on his athletic ability and agility and has been spending the time making sure his body is ready for college ball.

confused-wait.gif

Who's the great football mind doing the interviews at GI?

The fact he hasn't ended up anywhere yet makes you wonder if the offers (Central Michigan and Ivy League schools) in his high school 24/7 page were real. If they actually were real, he's really gotta be regretting his decision to go to St. Thomas.
I'm not going to doubt offers.. but were they commitable or was he option c for them

Top Bottom