QB Drew Viotto commits to Minnesota!

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score

Originally committed to Eastern Michigan. Offers from Maryland and Syracuse.

Liked the comments about him choosing to throw in the rain for his workout with the coaches.

Seems to fit the mold of what they are looking for in QB's. Athan, Knuth, and Viotto are all 6'4" and in the 200-215 range in terms of weight. Morgan and Kramer may the the last of the "short" QBs around here for a while.

Like that he is coming up here with his teammate. Makes it more likely they both stick with their commitments even if some other schools come calling.

I remember when we basically didn't have a scholarship QB on the team. Progress!
There have certainly been times when our QB situation has left a lot to be desired but don't recall a time with no scholarship guys.....now if we are talking scholarship worthy that might be different :)

There have certainly been times when our QB situation has left a lot to be desired but don't recall a time with no scholarship guys.....now if we are talking scholarship worthy that might be different :)
I was thinking of 2017. Ouch that was a bad year for Qb here. Croft and Rhoda were just not very good.

Fleck was very visible in Michigan when a bunch of these kids were at an impressionable age. Gotta think there are a number of kids in Michigan with MN on their radar.

Fleck was very visible in Michigan when a bunch of these kids were at an impressionable age. Gotta think there are a number of kids in Michigan with MN on their radar.
I think connections with local coaches is a big / possibly bigger deal too.

We get a coach from some area ... suddenly we get guys from there.

"It means everything to me," he said. "Since I was a kid, I dreamed to play at Minnesota and a Big Ten school, play on T.V. where everyone can watch you play from anywhere." - Drew Viotto

Here is another recruit who wants to be a Gopher!

Seems to fit the mold of what they are looking for in QB's. Athan, Knuth, and Viotto are all 6'4" and in the 200-215 range in terms of weight. Morgan and Kramer may the the last of the "short" QBs around here for a while.

Like that he is coming up here with his teammate. Makes it more likely they both stick with their commitments even if some other schools come calling.
If they keep getting these big kids on the OL in a few years we may only see QB's in the 6'7" plus range. LOL

Agreed! Great get from Michigan! Good job coaches!

Hey, I hope the kid is good, and I understand the need for depth at the position.

at the same time, according to what I read, we are talking about the #19-ranked player in Michigan, and the #54-ranked QB in the Country. He was committed to Eastern Michigan.

So, I'm not going to turn cartwheels because the Gophers flipped a QB from Eastern Michigan.

Again, I hope the kid is good. Hopefully he can be a depth player at least.

I'm just saying that, if the Gophers really want to be a top-25 level program, at some point, they need to bring in higher-ranked recruits.

the schools with NIL programs are not bringing in the #54-ranked QB in the country. sad but true.

Tell that to Pyburn.

Hey, I hope the kid is good, and I understand the need for depth at the position.

at the same time, according to what I read, we are talking about the #19-ranked player in Michigan, and the #54-ranked QB in the Country. He was committed to Eastern Michigan.

So, I'm not going to turn cartwheels because the Gophers flipped a QB from Eastern Michigan.

I'm just saying that, if the Gophers really want to be a top-25 level program, at some point, they need to bring in higher-ranked recruits.

the schools with NIL programs are not bringing in the #54-ranked QB in the country. sad but true.
The last three QBs they brought in were higher rated. Clark left. Athan and Knuth are still here. We are pretty close to a top 25 program at this point, the QB talent they are bringing in is plenty good enough.

We are now a top 25-level program. Our recruiting is excellent. High school ratings mean little or nothing.

The last three QBs they brought in were higher rated. Clark left. Athan and Knuth are still here. We are pretty close to a top 25 program at this point, the QB talent they are bringing in is plenty good enough.
A high school junior completing 70% of his passes is impressive given the limited receiver skills he might have at that level.

A high school junior completing 70% of his passes is impressive given the limited receiver skills he might have at that level.
Exactly a big accurate QB, seems great for KC’s system. Plus I doubt he is being recruited for what he is now, I’m guessing the coaches are looking at what he can develop into in 2-3 years. He isn’t a plus athlete so he’ll have to really develop his IQ and passing abilities.

Not the rating we would like to see, but he got the physical tools/traits you like to see... Hopefully with some good coaching he can surprise us down the road

Top Bottom