QB competition next year???

Sand Gopher

Reaction score
I think Tanner has cemented his role as the starting quarterback. I hear PJ talking about him and calling him a "winner and a leader." I'm wondering if ZA will be sticking around. Of course, an injury can come up at any moment and things can change in a heartbeat. Any thoughts on this?

I think it seems as though Morgan has cemented himself, but I bet if he were to have 2 bad games in a row next year that Fleck throws Annexstad in. Or maybe he even goes with Clarke or Kramer. I think Fleck, regardless of how much Morgan does to prove himself, had his eyes set on Annexstad from day one. I don’t quite know why, but it seems like Annexstad has some special spot in Fleck’s eyes. I think the expectations placed on Morgan just to maintain his starting spot are higher than we would expect.

I think that next year's QB coach needs to focus seriously on developing a no. 2 QB who can be productive if Morgan is injured. Morgan has to start, but I'm not convinced that Annexstad comes next.

I think it seems as though Morgan has cemented himself, but I bet if he were to have 2 bad games in a row next year that Fleck throws Annexstad in. Or maybe he even goes with Clarke or Kramer. I think Fleck, regardless of how much Morgan does to prove himself, had his eyes set on Annexstad from day one. I don’t quite know why, but it seems like Annexstad has some special spot in Fleck’s eyes. I think the expectations placed on Morgan just to maintain his starting spot are higher than we would expect.
I think fleck, all things equal, wanted the sales story of rebuilding the program with a walk-on qb. He’s a salesmen.
Now things are no longer equal. It’s tanners job until he says it’s not.

The battle is for #2. With a high ranked QB coming in for 2021 class, I can see the two other guys transferring.

No need to have schollys tied up in extra backup QBs. Frankly would rather see those guys get or play somewhere.

Streveler certainly proves that path can be fruitful.

It's almost unbelievable how stacked we've become at this position. Is this even the Gophers? WTF
I wouldn't say that yet. Annexstad wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire as a starter and none of the other qb's have played enough to form an opinion. We have one QB that has proved to be a solid winner. So I'd be shocked if he didn't start every game next year as long as he's healthy.

I thought ZA entered the portal or was at least planning on it. Did he not do this? Is it to late for him to do this?

One of the top QB in D1 is returning. Morgan will be the starter.

I thought ZA entered the portal or was at least planning on it. Did he not do this? Is it to late for him to do this?
Haven’t heard that.

But wouldn’t surprise me if he transfers, if he loses the backup spot in spring to Clark or Kramer.

I'm sure Fleck will say it's a competition, but if anyone BUT Morgan starts next year, I'll be disappointed

As to back up QB's, I'm sure one will transfer. ZA wouldn't surprise me to see remain as back up with eyes starting his SR year.

I'm sure Fleck will say it's a competition, but if anyone BUT Morgan starts next year, I'll be disappointed

As to back up QB's, I'm sure one will transfer. ZA wouldn't surprise me to see remain as back up with eyes starting his SR year.
True but, and it’s terrible to say but ... if he does stay we might need that scholly. He didn’t get it as a freshman, so we can take it if needed.

Clark might be too talented to deny him the backup.

I hope it is a competition. Hear me out. This team just had one of the best passing attacks in Gopher history. If there is an actual competition, that means there is between 1 and 3 other guys that are talented enough to make it a competition. If there is no competition that means the number 2 guy is as talented as me. To elaborate: I was never talented and now am 30 years older and 40 pounds heavier than when I was considered not talented.
What I mean is this team is in great shape if there are multiple QBs that can compete for the starting job.

I hope it is a competition. Hear me out. This team just had one of the best passing attacks in Gopher history. If there is an actual competition, that means there is between 1 and 3 other guys that are talented enough to make it a competition. If there is no competition that means the number 2 guy is as talented as me. To elaborate: I was never talented and now am 30 years older and 40 pounds heavier than when I was considered not talented.
What I mean is this team is in great shape if there are multiple QBs that can compete for the starting job.

Competition is always good. Every player on the roster should have a fair chance to win a starting job. If someone is able to beat out Morgan for the starting job, it means that they've stepped up to be even better than Morgan.

aside from the 2016-17 year we have had multiple year starters who hold all the school records. Tanner is no Weber/Leidner....yet. We need to see more tho many of you wanna crown him.

Competition is always good. Every player on the roster should have a fair chance to win a starting job. If someone is able to beat out Morgan for the starting job, it means that they've stepped up to be even better than Morgan.
That was kind of the short version of my rambling. If there is healthy competition, this team is in a good place moving forward and anyone that can beat Tanner has got to be similar to the Tua beating Jalen equivalent.

I think even more than a good backup QB, we need a kicker who can put the ball deep in the end zone and make 50 yd field goals.

I think even more than a good backup QB, we need a kicker who can put the ball deep in the end zone and make 50 yd field goals.

We have a new punter coming in. We also need a new kick off guy, being totally unable to put one out of the endzone is risky. As good as this season was, our special teams were a disaster. Watching our kick off unit having to squib kick all the time is like watching someone bowl with the bumpers on. Seems out of sorts with where we are as a team overall for ability and talent. Also was worrisome to me to see Barber out there on special teams, doesn't speak well to depth when your senior MLB is out covering punts.

Not sure if our special teams issues were coaching, talent depth, or just bad kicker related but I hope they address it next year.

We have a new punter coming in. We also need a new kick off guy, being totally unable to put one out of the endzone is risky. As good as this season was, our special teams were a disaster. Watching our kick off unit having to squib kick all the time is like watching someone bowl with the bumpers on. Seems out of sorts with where we are as a team overall for ability and talent. Also was worrisome to me to see Barber out there on special teams, doesn't speak well to depth when your senior MLB is out covering punts.

Not sure if our special teams issues were coaching, talent depth, or just bad kicker related but I hope they address it next year.
Your last sentence is what I've been wondering also. If I remember correctly, last year was damn good (I mean more coverage and returns than field goals). Other than different physical abilities of new players, I don't see why any philosophy could change on coverage. Maybe someone that is a lot smarter than I am can chime in.

I have no qualms with playing the best defensive players on special teams in big games. Let the younger players get their time in all the other games. I agree with your overall point though. No question the kicking game needs to improve.

I’d be very surprised if Fleck said it was a competition.

It's my understanding Annexstad gave up a scholarship offer his freshman year to make room for and recruit Faalele and Dunlap, his buddies from IMG Acadademy. That's a special kind of leadership/loyalty and opened a future recruiting pipeline to IMG. Add that to looking like the most polished QB in camp early last season, and he got the start until injured. Regardless of whether Zach stays or leaves, he's had a big impact at Minnesota.

aside from the 2016-17 year we have had multiple year starters who hold all the school records. Tanner is no Weber/Leidner....yet. We need to see more tho many of you wanna crown him.

We'd have missed a bowl game with Leidner this year

I'll say it again: how can Lantz not be the kickoff guy, if he has won the FG/PAT job??

We cannot give two scholarships to two placekickers. That's ridiculous.

If there's a guy who can walk-on with a huge leg and can blast it every time on kickoff, perfect. Congrats kid, you get to be on a P5 team, travel with the team on airplanes/nice hotels/etc., suit up, and contribute to the team. And you don't need to get hit much, really at all, and don't really need to practice much either.

That's enough of a reward. No scholarship

I'll say it again: how can Lantz not be the kickoff guy, if he has won the FG/PAT job??

We cannot give two scholarships to two placekickers. That's ridiculous.

If there's a guy who can walk-on with a huge leg and can blast it every time on kickoff, perfect. Congrats kid, you get to be on a P5 team, travel with the team on airplanes/nice hotels/etc., suit up, and contribute to the team. And you don't need to get hit much, really at all, and don't really need to practice much either.

That's enough of a reward. No scholarship

I believe our K recruit is a walk on for next year. Didn't know Lantz was on scholarship?

It's my understanding Annexstad gave up a scholarship offer his freshman year to make room for and recruit Faalele and Dunlap, his buddies from IMG Acadademy. That's a special kind of leadership/loyalty and opened a future recruiting pipeline to IMG. Add that to looking like the most polished QB in camp early last season, and he got the start until injured. Regardless of whether Zach stays or leaves, he's had a big impact at Minnesota.
Huge impact. Can't be overstated.

And the crazy thing was, until he got hurt this pre-season, he might've been the starter again. Sorry, but Tanner has proven himself.

Tanner is the starter until he gets hurt or until he has a catastrophic game and has to be benched for the rest of the game. It does happen, but really hasn't so far.

Top Bottom