Q&A: Zach Hovey Weighs Scholarship Offers, Ivy League Opportunities and MN/UW PWO

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Zach Hovey Weighs Scholarship Offers, Ivy League Opportunities and Gophers, Badgers PWO
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/327574?referrer_id=388419

Zach Hovey, a 6-5, 230-pound senior tight end from Eden Prairie (MN) High, helped lead the Eagles to the Prep Bowl title for the third straight year with a 28-7 win over Rosemount. The two-sport athlete also helped Eden Prairie to a fourth place finish in last March's Class AAAA boys' basketball tournament.

Hovey has picked some new recruiting interest with some of the coaching changes that have hit the NCAA. Miami of Ohio has recently gotten involved with Hovey after the hiring of Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin. The Redhawks told Hovey that he was one of the top tight ends available and reminded him that NFL tight ends John Carlson and Kyle Rudolph were successful in the Fighting Irish offense before moving to the pros.

Hovey recently talked to Gopher Hole about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: I know that you made two official visits recently. Where did you go?

Zach Hovey: I went to New Mexico and Bucknell the weekend before that.

Gopher Hole: What were those two visits like?

Zach Hovey: I enjoyed them both a lot. Bucknell was great. I got along with the coaches really well. They have a lot to offer there and their academics are truly world-class. New Mexico, I enjoyed that one as well. The team was really cool. They were fun to hang out with. Their football facilities are phenomenal down there.

Gopher Hole: Both of those schools have offered you since, right?

Zach Hovey: Yes

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to?

Zach Hovey: I believe 12 and I have four Ivies.

Gopher Hole: There is always going to be something good to see about every school? Does that make it even harder in a way?

Zach Hovey: It does make it tough because every time you go some place, they are always trying to present themselves as the best that they can. You see all these great things and sometimes, you almost have to look for the flaws, because if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. That is what people have been telling me.

Gopher Hole: What things do you have set up for January?

Zach Hovey: That is what I was going to talk to my parents about. I was thinking Montana State and Miami of Ohio (he will visit January 17th). Those are the two that I have been leaning towards, but I don't have anything set in stone yet.

Gopher Hole: You have the two preferred walk-on opportunities at Minnesota and Wisconsin. Are you going to try to go visit either of those schools?

Zach Hovey: We'll see. I am definitely interested in those schools, but it is super hard to pass up a full scholarship somewhere.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you are going to even try to decide on a school? The signing date is the first week of February. Is it something that might take until then?

Zach Hovey: Once I am done with visits. I'll probably make my top few and I'll take those. Maybe it will be February 5th. Maybe it won't be.

Gopher Hole: You missed a basketball game at the Breakdown Tip-off Classic to go on an official visit. I know that your coach is pretty understanding and has had football players in the past, but was it hard to not be with the team or did you just realize that I need to do this and get this done?

Zach Hovey: Yes, it is definitely hard to not be with the team. They are a great group of guys and they work hard and they are dedicated to basketball. Coach is great. He understands that football comes first for me because that is what I am going to be doing for the next four years. It is definitely hard to be away from the team, but you have got to do, what you have got to do.

Gopher Hole: Do you still enjoy the recruiting process or will you be glad to finally pick a school?

Zach Hovey: I'll be happy when I pick a school.

Gopher Hole: Is it tough because a lot of your buddies that are seniors know where they are going to college, but you are still undecided?

Zach Hovey: It gets a little tough because they all know where they are going and they know what their future holds for them and I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm not really comparing my future to their future. I'm just living in the moment, trying to enjoy my senior year.

Gopher Hole: It has to make you feel good that no matter where you go, you are going to get a good education and good opportunity to play football?

Zach Hovey: I am really excited about all these opportunities I am getting because I know that I am going to work hard and I will get a degree.

Kid should definitely take one of the full ride Ivy League opportunities. Must be an incredible student. He'd be buried at TE here. Best of luck to him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kid should definitely take one of the full ride Ivy League opportunities. Must be an incredible student. He'd be buried at TE here. Best of luck to him! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. I'm sure there are other financial aids/scholarships available to him there though.

Per the general recruiting thread:

Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff
GopherHole Q&A: Zach Hovey Weighs Scholarship Offers, Ivy League Opportunities and Gophers, Badgers PWO

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_artic...rrer_id=388419
I wish Zach would consider the pwo at the U but can't blame him for taking the full ride elsewhere. I can't be objective since I know his Mom but it's too bad the U doesn't have a scholarship for him. Zach's Mom was a tremendous athlete at the U and she is wicked smart. With four ivy offers, I know where he gets it. Good luck to Zach in selecting his school.

Go Gophers!

i think he committed to miami (oh)

yeah, he and his teammate Olson who committed to Oregon State would have been stud walk-ons. multiple FBS offers including a BCS offer for Olson. Chad Fhanning caliber walk-ons

Top Bottom