Q&A: Two-Sport Star Ben Oberfeld Has Big Decisions Ahead of Him

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Two-Sport Star Ben Oberfeld Has Big Decisions Ahead of Him
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/128875?referrer_id=388419

Ben Oberfeld, a 6-foot-9, 235-pound two-sport standout from Apple Valley (MN) Eastview, is one of the top players in football and basketball in the Class of 2013. GopherHole.com recently caught up with Oberfeld to get an early look at his recruitment.

Eastview is ranked No. 1 in Class 4A and is off to a 10-0 start. The Lightning face Apple Valley tonight on the road in a meeting of crosstown rivals. Oberfeld is the second leading scorer on the team, averaging 12.5 points per game behind Drake signee Joey King, who is scoring 27.3 points per game. The Lightning might have the state’s toughest schedule this week. They defeated previously undefeated and No. 4 Lakeville North 54-48 Tuesday, meet No. 3 Apple Valley (10-1) tonight and Wisconsin’s defending Division 1 state champion Madison Memorial, who is 10-0 and ranked second in the state, Saturday in the Midwest Players Classic at the La Crosse Center.
GH: You are off to an undefeated record so far this season. How pleased are you with the team’s start?

Ben Oberfeld: We started out pretty well, but there is always room for improvement.

GH: What is the latest on recruitment for you? Are you still undecided on what sport you are going to play in college? Is it that you like basketball when basketball season is going on and football when football season is going on?

Ben Oberfeld: Yes, that is exactly it. Right now, I would say more basketball, but as far as basketball goes, Lehigh, Drake and Bucknell are up there. North Dakota State, Santa Clara and South Dakota State.

GH: What about for football?

Ben Oberfeld: I am getting a little bit of interest from the Gophers, Wisconsin and Duke.

GH: Did you get much of a chance to go to any college football games this past fall?

Ben Oberfeld: My family has season Gopher tickets, so we got a chance to go to those, but I didn’t get to go to any other games.

GH: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Ben Oberfeld: They send me letters once a week and e-mails every now and then.

GH: I know that it is hard with your AAU schedule, but are you going to try to get to some football camps this summer?

Ben Oberfeld: I am going to try to get out to maybe the Duke camp, if it lines up right and the Gopher camp, for sure and maybe the Wisconsin camp.
GH: Which camps did you go to this past year?

Ben Oberfeld: I just went to the Gopher camp.

GH: What position are colleges looking at you playing more defensive end or tight end.

Ben Oberfeld: I’m not sure. I have to talk to them about that, but they might put me at left tackle and just get me up to 300.

GH: What are the expectations for Eastview? I know that they had a bit of a down season (5-6) compared to your normal standards.

Ben Oberfeld: I think that we are going to be, I hate to dog on our seniors, but I think that we are going to be better than we were last year. We have more returning starters than we had last year and I think that we are willing to work pretty hard in the offseason.

Wow...might have to take in one of his games. Love football guys with that size that play BBall. Usually indicates good footwork. I would be interested to see what kind of frame he has.

Top Bottom