Q&A: St. Cloud Athlete Brevyn Spann-Ford Recruited in 2 Sports, Attends Gopher Game

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: St. Cloud Athlete Brevyn Spann-Ford Recruited in 2 Sports, Attends Gopher Game

Q&A: St. Cloud Athlete Brevyn Spann-Ford Recruited in Two Sports, Attends Gopher Football Game
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/701719?referrer_id=

Brevyn Spann-Ford, a 6-foot-7, 215-pound junior wide receiver from St. Cloud (MN) Tech, is one of the top multi-sport athletes in the Class of 2018.

Spann-Ford has helped lead the Tigers to a 3-0 record this season as he caught a team-high 19 passes for 286 yards and four touchdowns. He caught six passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns versus Chisago Lakes, eight passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns against Sartell and five passes for 50 yards versus Bemidji.

Spann-Ford helped lead the Tigers to a 15-12 mark on the hardwood, losing to Rogers 74-67 in the first round of the Section 8AAAA playoffs. The Tigers won nine of their final ten regular season contests. He averaged 13.3 points and 8.0 rebounds per game and picked up a scholarship offer from North Dakota State last April.

Spann-Ford is also a high jumper for the Tigers' track and field team.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Spann-Ford to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You were at the Gopher football game versus Indiana State. Have you had a chance to get down to many Gopher games in the past?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I have been to a couple. This is probably my third.

Gopher Hole: Did you go to any games last year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I went last year, just with my family and watched them play Middle Tennessee.

Gopher Hole: How about your team? You are undefeated. How pleased are you with how well things have been going so far this year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I have been pleased. We have a long season ahead, but happy with we are at right now.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for you guys this year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Win the conference and make it as far as we can in the playoffs. We have a lot of athletes on our team and we want to go far this year.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many football camps this summer?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No. I did not. I actually hurt my hip flexor this summer, so I didn't get to do any football camps.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a wide receiver?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Going deep. I've got pretty good hands and good speed for my body.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is so early, being only a junior, but are you starting to hear from some colleges yet?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Football-wise, a couple. U of M. I've gotten a couple of letters from UCF (University of Central Florida). A couple of schools.

Gopher Hole: You also play basketball. What schools are you hearing from?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: NDSU, SDSU and Nebraska.

Gopher Hole: You played for the Minnesota Comets 16-and-under team this spring and summer. Where all did you play this year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: We played in Omaha, Milwaukee, Sioux Falls, Vegas and St. Cloud.

Gopher Hole: How pleased were you with how well thing went for you guys this season? I know that you played well this year.

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It was fun. We had a good season this year. We had a pretty good team.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are getting looks in football and basketball. Do you have a preference in what sport you would like to play in college or have you even thought that far yet?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I haven't really gotten that far yet.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to have the opportunity to play Division I football or basketball?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Free schooling and education is important to me. With sports, I like to have fun and whatever sport I choose, I choose.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a sports-minded family?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: My brother played high school football. My father played basketball at SDSU.

Gopher Hole: What would it maybe mean to have the opportunity to play for the homestate school?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It would be really cool, but we'll see how things go.

Top Bottom