Q&A: Ra'Shede Hageman Talks Draft Prep, Choosing an Agent, Back Massages and Yoga

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Ra'Shede Hageman Talks Draft Prep, Choosing an Agent, Back Massages and Yoga
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/383891?referrer_id=331171

It’s been an amazing journey for former Gophers defensive end Ra'Shede Hageman. From humble beginnings to Washburn High School to starring for the Gophers, Hageman will realize his dream this weekend when he is selected early in the 2014 NFL Draft.

GopherHole’s Nadine Babu caught up with Hageman to learn about his draft prep, how he chose an agent and other fun items with the future NFL player.

GopherHole: How has your post-Gopher career training differed from training with the U?
Ra'Shede Hageman: Right now its all individual workouts. When I was with the team, we had strength coordinators, but now its one-on-one. I feel like I’m getting the work I need plus I’m getting back massages and that’s always good. It’s more intense but its preparing me for the next level.

GopherHole: How is it more intense?
Ra'Shede Hageman: I’m working a lot on my flexibility, I’m doing some yoga. A lot more stretching.

GopherHole: What qualities did you look for when hiring an agent?
Ra'Shede Hageman: Someone that actually played football before. We wanted someone that has prepared other athletes through this journey. The facilities they use, the location as I wanted to go down South. The connection with the agent. I looked into about a dozen different agents.

GopherHole: Did you do that or did your parents?
Ra'Shede Hageman: My dad’s an attorney and he did a lot more investigation into that than I did. I focused on graduating college and he did a lot of the research. My Dad played a big part in picking an agent.

GopherHole: What role does your agent and staff play in your draft preparations?
Ra'Shede Hageman: Daily reminders. My agent will call and see how I’m doing, making sure I stay low key, stay out of the spotlight. My agent is like a family member now.

GopherHole: What’s it like when you make visits to NFL teams with other players? Is it competitive?
Ra'Shede Hageman: It’s more of a friendly competition. We get to tour the facilities together, get to know the guys, see a glimpse of what its like at the next level.

GopherHole: What current or former players have you sought advice from during this process?
Ra'Shede Hageman: MarQueis Gray. We do a lot of chit-chatting. I’m asking some advice on some things, and he’s telling me how to prepare. Me and him have always had a good relationship.

GopherHole: What has surprised Gray about the NFL?
Ra'Shede Hageman: Everyone is out playing for a job. The veterans take it very seriously and the young guys have to show the veterans that you take this as seriously as they do?

GopherHole: What advice have you received from Coach Kill and the staff?
Ra'Shede Hageman: He’s told me to stay focused. He said to always remain humble and don’t forget where you come from. Me and Coach Kill had our battles but we came a long way and he’s family. He says he’s always rooting for me?

GopherHole: Would you be in this position if he hadn’t become head coach?
Ra'Shede Hageman: I had to prove myself when he came. I had to work hard and he pushed me great.

GopherHole: Who will be with you on Draft Day?
Ra'Shede Hageman: We’ll be in New York City and I’ll have my Mom and Dad, Coach Kill and Coach Jenkins from high school. I’ll also have a few of my Day One Homeboys there as well.

GopherHole: Best case/worse case scenario on draft day?
Ra’Shede Hageman: Best case is top 10, worse case is second round, but at the end of the day you gotta work hard know matter where you get drafted.

Appreciate the interview. Ra'Shede and Brock have really been the only thing gopher sports i have been following religiously this past week. Reading draft profiles and teams message boards about what they think about them has been very interesting. I hope they land on the same team and preferably a winning team. I got to watch Decker so much more playing with Manning and Tebow then i ever would have if he was on any other team. I wasn't able to see a single Browns game with MarQueis for the entire season.

Very cool of Ra'Shede to give Gopherhole some time and love. Appreciate that from him and hope you guys thanked him profusely. I am sure he, like any other athlete in his current position, could have easily brushed you guys off with all that they have going on this week and others things they need to focus on. And frankly much bigger media outlets (both locally and nationally) also requesting your time for interviews, etc. Shoot I know I would have probably blown you guys off if I was in his position. Well, maybe not Nadine. Ha! :p

Best of luck tomorrow Ra'Shede. Your current skill set and your high ceiling for even greater improvement over time dictate that you should absolutely be a day one/round 1 draftee. Let's hope the teams are smart enough to also realize that.

Go Gophers!

Ra'Shede Hageman: We’ll be in New York City and I’ll have my Mom and Dad, Coach Kill and Coach Jenkins from high school. I’ll also have a few of my Day One Homeboys there as well.

I was kind of surprised by this, I wonder how many picks bring their coaches? I personally really liked seeing that and think it's a good sign for the program

I was kind of surprised by this, I wonder how many picks bring their coaches? I personally really liked seeing that and think it's a good sign for the program

The NFL invited 30 players this year to the draft. Basically, they want the first day to be a huge gala, so they want to get as many photos, videos, and interviews of the rookies as possible on Day 1.

It looks like there will be 10 college coaches there tonight:

According to NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, at least ten college head coaches will be in New York this week for the NFL Draft.

This list of coaches includes Lorenzo Ward (South Carolina defensive coordinator), Jeff Quinn (Buffalo head coach), Les Miles, Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Gary Patterson, Brady Hoke, Jerry Kill, Urban Meyer, and Dabo Swinney.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/10-college-coaches-heading-to-New-York-for-the-NFL-Draft-28492253

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom