Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Gophers Offer, Recruiting and Decision to Stop Playing Fball

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Gophers Offer, Recruiting and Decision to Stop Playing Fball

Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Gophers Offer, Recruiting and Decision to Stop Playing Football
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/667908?referrer_id=

Race Thompson, a 6-foot-6 rising junior forward from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number two prospect from Minnesota in the class. Thompson received a scholarship offer from Minnesota earlier this year and played with the Falcons recently at the Minnesota Golden Gopher team camp.

Thompson averaged 6.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.0 assists and 0.8 blocked shots per game this past year for the Falcons, who finished 15-13. He scored in double figures in seven games, including a season-best 16 points versus Coon Rapids. However, those seven double figure games were in the team's final twelve contests of the season.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thompson to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: The last week was the first week the college coaches could contact you. What schools did you hear from?

Race Thompson: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Marquette, Northern Iowa and Kansas State. Stanford, a little bit.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Race Thompson: Four. Minnesota, North Dakota, UNI and Marquette.

Gopher Hole: You had a chance to play with you high school teammates at the team camp. Have you had an opportunity to do a lot this summer yet?

Race Thompson: We haven't really played that much together. We went to UNI together to play in a team camp there and this team camp to get to know each other better and play together better.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for the upcoming season? You had a good year last season and want to get even farther this season.

Race Thompson: Yes. Our expectations are high. I expect us to get far and deep into our section and try to make it to state and see what we can do.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to improve yourself as a player?

Race Thompson: Mostly ball handling, shooting and getting stronger and faster. Leadership and playing hard.

Gopher Hole: You are playing with the D1 Minnesota 16-and-under team and you are doing very well (35-3). How pleased are you with how well you are playing so far this spring leading into the summer?

Race Thompson: It's great. Actually, we are playing really good together. It's unbelievable. It is the best basketball. It is a lot of fun.

Gopher Hole: You are playing in South Carolina, Minnesota and Las Vegas this July, What are the expectations?

Race Thompson: I hope that we win every game. That is the expectation. I think that we can win every game.

Gopher Hole: What is it going to be like not having your brother (True, who graduated and will play football at Iowa Western Community College) with you this upcoming year?

Race Thompson: It's going to be different. I've never really played on my high school team without my brother, so it's going to be definitely different, but it will be all right, I'm sure.

Gopher Hole: You played football last year (Thompson was recently ranked as the fourth best football player in the Class of 2018). Are you definitely going to be a basketball player in college?

Race Thompson: I'm done playing football. I'm not playing football anymore.

Gopher Hole: Was that something that was hard to do?

Race Thompson: Not necessarily. Football was never really my favorite sport. Basketball was 1 or 2 up on football, so I let it go because I was doing good in basketball. I realized that basketball was probably my thing, so I decided that I was going to focus on that and be the best basketball player I can be.

Gopher Hole: Was your dad (former Gopher running back Darrell) crushed with that one?

Race Thompson: No. He was fine with it because my brother is going to play football still.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still early in the recruiting process, but do you like the recruiting process so far?

Race Thompson: Oh, yes. It is cool, but it is a lot sometimes. Sometimes, you just want to chill out, but you've always got to talk to the coaches, so it is fun, but also, it is still a lot.

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota was one of the first schools to offer you. You obviously have a connection with your father going there. What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play for Minnesota?

Race Thompson: It means a lot. Definitely something. "Everybody's like, Race is going to Minnesota, Race is going to Minnesota," but, I don't know. I just want to go somewhere I fit best and just play, pretty much.

Gopher Hole: Does that get tiring sometimes because a lot of people expect you to follow in your dad's footsteps?

Race Thompson: It's no bad. It's fine. I don't mind it at all.

Gopher Hole: Does it makes it a little easier that your sister went out-state (and played volleyball at Wisconsin) to show that you don't necessarily have to go to Minnesota?

Race Thompson: Yes. It is definitely like that. I don't feel pressure that much. I don't feel pressure at all from my parents or from anybody to go to Minnesota. They want me to make my decision and go where I want to go.

Top Bottom