Q&A: QB Mike Conway Likely to Choose Between Minn or NDSU UPDATED: Conway a Gopher!

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: QB Mike Conway Likely to Choose Between Minn or NDSU UPDATED: Conway a Gopher!

QB Mike Conway Likely to Choose Between PWO at Minnesota or Scholarship at North Dakota St.
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/212753?referrer_id=331171

Mike Conway, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound senior quarterback from La Crosse (Wisc.) Aquinas, visited Minnesota this past weekend. Conway, a
three-sport standout, has narrowed his choice to two schools, including the Golden Gophers. GopherHole.com recently caught
up with Conway to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Conway threw for 1,950 yards and 20 touchdowns as he completed 108 of 225 attempts. He ran for more than 800 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns and had a receiving touchdown and a punt return for a touchdown.

Conway was named the 2012 La Crosse Tribune Football Player of the Year after several strong performances against crosstown rivals Central (404 combined yards passing and rushing, five total touchdowns) and Logan (250 passing yards, four touchdowns). He shined down the stretch, especially in the last five contests of the season, including playoff games against previously undefeated Cuba City and Durand. Conway either passed or ran for 1,559 of Aquinas' 1,721 yards of offense.

Conway tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder during an injury-shortened junior season. He had surgery in November and missed basketball season, but competed in track and field, finishing third in the Division 2 triple jump at the WIAA state meet. He wasn't able to throw until late May, but went to several camps in this past summer.

Conway completed 65 of 136 passes for 619 yards as a junior in five games in an injury-shortened season. He threw for three touchdowns and had seven interceptions. Conway, who helped lead the Blugolds to a 2-7 mark, rushed 40 times for 183 yards and three touchdowns. He caught five passes for 98 yards.

GopherHole.com recently caught up with Conway to learn the latest on
his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your football recruitment right now?

Michael Conway: Right now, Minnesota wants me as a preferred walk-on and NDSU (North Dakota State University), I have a full ride with them. I have pretty much narrowed it down to those two.

Gopher Hole: You visited Minnesota this past week. How was the visit?

Michael Conway: Oh, I loved it. I love the city. I like the campus. I like the coaches and I think that I could see myself there, but I have an official visit to NDSU a week from Saturday, so we’ll see how that goes.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a way that you are leaning yet or are you keeping an open mind until you take that visit to NDSU?

Michael Conway: I am trying to stay pretty balanced right now to give a fair look to NDSU right now. After that, I’ll probably make a decision that week right after.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers don’t have a lot of quarterbacks on their roster. Is that something that they have talked to you about and that they are looking for people at that position?

Michael Conway: Yes. They said that they are running a little bit thin at the QB position and even a little bit at receiver right now. I try not to look at receiver right now. Hopefully, focus right on quarterback right now.

Gopher Hole: You were named the La Crosse Tribune Player of the Year. You obviously had to be pleased with that kind of honor?

Michael Conway: Yes. To be recognized as a player. There have been so many great players to have been named the Tribune Player of the Year. To get that recognition is an honor.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go many college football games this
fall?

Michael Conway: I went to two Minnesota ones against Syracuse and Michigan and then I went to one NDSU one. They played South Dakota State,

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many football camps last summer?

Michael Conway: Yes. I went to Wisconsin’s camp, Minnesota’s and NDSU’s. They were all one-day camps.

Gopher Hole: How is your health? I know that you missed some time last year with a rotator cuff injury. How are you feeling now?

Michael Conway: It feels great right now.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor of picking Minnesota or NDSU?

Michael Conway: I don’t know if there is one main thing rather than just a bunch of things. It obviously comes down to the coaches and their program and the direction that they are headed. NDSU obviously has a great program right now, winning two national championships, but Minnesota with Kill’s track record, they are definitely on their way up. Academics is a big one. I love Minnesota’s school and their classes and all that. I haven’t really had a chance to see much of NDSU’s school and all that. It is just what I am feeling, I guess. Where I feel most at home as of right now.

Gopher Hole: How involved have other people been like your high school coaches and your parents or has it been mostly your decision so far or are you looking at them for advice?

Michael Conway: They all have which ones they prefer me to go to, which they think is the smartest, but overall they all think that it is my decision and wherever I think is the best fit, they will be behind me all the way, which is great to have. There are a few people that I have asked their opinions on. A few people that I respect a lot and would not point me in the wrong direction.

Gopher Hole: You have to feel that with either situation you are going to have some great opportunities, no matter which way you go?

Michael Conway: Right. One, they are back-to-back national champions and in the other, you are playing in the Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: You won the state title in basketball when you were a sophomore. Unfortunately, last year, you had some injury issues with yourself and Wisconsin signee Bronson Koenig? How pleased are you with how well things are going so far this season?

Michael Conway: We started out a little bit slowly. We had some guys out and we had some injuries, but since we have had everybody healthy, we have seemed to get into a groove and we have been rolling pretty well. It is great.

Gopher Hole: Does having that experience of winning a state title two years ago help you so that you know what you need to do to get to that level again?

Michael Conway: Right. It was great to win it a couple of years ago, but one of the biggest things right now is having the leadership that we did a couple of years ago and use that as a role model to guide our team. We know what it takes to get there, so it makes us strive that much harder.

Gopher Hole: Has Minnesota talked much about what you need to do to go from being a preferred walk-on to being a scholarship player? Minnesota, like a lot of schools, has kids who started out as preferred walk-on who are now scholarship players.

Michael Conway: Right. They talked to me about that. They said, just come in and work hard, be coachable and just compete every day. If you do your best and go out there and prove something and make plays, they are definitely going to take care of you.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a quarterback?

Michael Conway: I have been around the game for a very long time. My dad (offensive coordinator at Aquinas, who was the defensive coordinator at UW-La Crosse after playing at St. Thomas) has been coaching for as long as I can remember, so I have been around the game so much that I understand it pretty well. I know what defenses are trying to do, so I know how to attack them, that obviously makes it a lot easier for me. I have a decent arm, so I can get the ball in there, but it is a lot easier to anticipate things and place it at the right spot. I would say accuracy is one of my bigger things and the ability to escape if I have to.

Gopher Hole: You have also become friends with Jack Jablonski, the high school hockey player from Benilde St. Margaret’s who last winter was paralyzed after taking a hit in a game. How did you get to become friends with him and what has that relationship meant to you?

Michael Conway: His dad (Mike Jablonski) and my dad (Jeff Conway) were really good childhood friends, so they grew up together and are still pretty close. I would meet Jack every once in awhile. For that to happen to him is just terrible. I use him as kind of a reference whenever I feel like not getting up and lifting or not going hard in some reps. I look at him and he would do anything to get up at six a.m. and lift. I can’t complain much when you have someone sitting in a chair his whole life.

Gopher Hole: You mentioned possibly moving to wide receiver. Have you played that position much throughout your career?

Michael Conway: I have always been a quarterback, but last year I broke my thumb in the summer and I had to tape it to the rest of my hand, so I couldn’t throw. I just tape it up and put a glove over it and played receiver for two games. This year, with my shoulder and all, they didn’t want to rush me into the first game, so I started off at quarterback, but then I went to receiver right away after the first quarter. Every once in awhile on a third and long at the beginning of the season, they put me at receiver and told me to go deep and get the ball.

I'm more excited about this then I was to hear about Conor Rhoda.

Take the scholarship kid.

Eh, it depends upon the situation. There have been plenty of walkons who have gone on to have had a ton of success playing big time football. I would never rip a kid for always choosing a scholarship, but it certainly isn't a no brainer. I'm sure guys like Abredaris (WI), Botticelli, Engel, Hill, Mottla, Christensen, etc., are glad that they took the PWO route and got to play Big 10 football. The opportunity to play in the Big 10 for a lot of these players is priceless.

Again, I don't blame a kid for choosing the scholarship, ever. But under the right circumstances, I can see how the PWO offer would be justifiably more enticing.

For what it's worth, the U is also a better school.

Eh, it depends upon the situation. There have been plenty of walkons who have gone on to have had a ton of success playing big time football. I would never rip a kid for always choosing a scholarship, but it certainly isn't a no brainer. I'm sure guys like Abredaris (WI), Botticelli, Engel, Hill, Mottla, Christensen, etc., are glad that they took the PWO route and got to play Big 10 football. The opportunity to play in the Big 10 for a lot of these players is priceless.

Again, I don't blame a kid for choosing the scholarship, ever. But under the right circumstances, I can see how the PWO offer would be justifiably more enticing.

For what it's worth, the U is also a better school.

I agree. Unfortunately my athletic skills were never good enough to be in this position, but I think it would be one of the hardest decisions I would ever have to make. I would probably go the walk-on route. It has always been my dream to play major college football and even a bigger dream to have it be for the Gophers. If the kid doesn't make it, and isn't Big 10 caliber, he can always bounce down. I don't think SDSU or NDSU take many bounce backs, but I know a lot of the D2 schools in the area will take them in... and they offer scholarships too.

A family friend of mine was a senior last year has a son who was in a similar situation. He chose the walk on route at the U. He mentioned that Kill was very honest and if things don't turn out well at the U, he will do whatever he can to help him get a scholarship to another school (lower level) or help him move to the next phase of schooling.

I love it. When's the last time you heard of a recruit deciding between a full scholarship at the U and a PWO at NDAC?

Don't forget about Barker, he's another one that took the PWO.

Exactly, free education and for Christ sake they just won the D1AA Nat'l championship! No brainer!

Um. No.

Maybe he wants to compete at the highest level of football, D1.
Maybe he wants to go to a school who offers a top level education in a major metro area with all the offerings that go with it(restaurants, culture, pro sports, a diverse population, job opportunities)

He may end up on the edge of civilization playing in front of 18,000 for a D2 title, but we here should hope he has bigger and better things in his future as a golden gopher.

I figured it must be some kind of joke, but doesn't make much sense when looking at the previous comments.

No, it's not a joke. And it makes perfect sense. I'm saying that NDAC needs to look at this and know their place. Minnesota is a vastly superior choice - so much so that someone is actually considering paying to go here rather than go to NDAC for free. No one would ever pay to go to NDAC if they had the opportunity to go to the U for free. No one would even give that choice a moment's consideration. Conway might end up going to Goat Roper U, but the fact that he is even considering paying to go here is hilarious to me, and again, puts NDAC in their place as a JV school and football team.

We are starting to see a postive change over there.

No, it's not a joke. And it makes perfect sense. I'm saying that NDAC needs to look at this and know their place. Minnesota is a vastly superior choice - so much so that someone is actually considering paying to go here rather than go to NDAC for free. No one would ever pay to go to NDAC if they had the opportunity to go to the U for free. No one would even give that choice a moment's consideration. Conway might end up going to Goat Roper U, but the fact that he is even considering paying to go here is hilarious to me, and again, puts NDAC in their place as a JV school and football team.

+1,000,000.

[/B]

+1,000,000.

I think NDSU being so good helps the Gophers in their walk-on program. NDSU is the best AA program in the country and they are talented and have tough competition for starting spots. If you are good enough to get an offer from them, you are good enough to walk on here and work for a schollie. Add to that if it doesn't work out we have MSU and St. Thomas as options to transfer. I wonder if Kill works this angle. Pay your way and if it doesn't work out there are scholarship options close to home and the best D3 program in the area if not country.

The bashing of the lower level schools/football programs, I have to admit, at times wreaks of the same inferiority of the Badger fans when they come over to this board and feel the need to weigh in on everything Badger-related. For the most part, I think some of the people who are doing the most bashing don't know a lot about what they're talking about.

There are a ton of valid reasons for kids to make the decision to play at those schools.

> Playing time. PT is a big factor, and it's also the reason the Gophers are able to beat out some of the "helmet schools" for recruits. It matters.
> Some people like being a big fish in a small pond. To each his own. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.
> I know it's shocking, particularly for someone like a current student who hasn't actually had to PAY for their education yet, but a full ride is a major deal to some people. Everyone has a different financial situation. To a lot of families, a paid 4 years could be everything.
> NDSU is playing for National Championships. The Gophers, not so much. It means something to some people, although of all the reasons listed here, this might be the smallest.

Another aspect in terms of playing time. If you're a Walk-On, and you're competing against a scholarship player, you have to do more than beat them out; you have to be CONSIDERABLY better than the scholarship player to see the field. It's not that different than in the NFL, it is almost impossible for a Free Agent player to beat out a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. The team has a lot invested in those higher draft picks. It's the same for scholarship players against Walk-Ons. The Walk-On is fighting an UPHILL BATTLE.

Bottom line, it shows a level of ignorance to question how anybody could POSSIBLY consider a full scholarship at an FCS school rather than walk on for the Gophers.

The bashing of the lower level schools/football programs, I have to admit, at times wreaks of the same inferiority of the Badger fans when they come over to this board and feel the need to weigh in on everything Badger-related. For the most part, I think some of the people who are doing the most bashing don't know a lot about what they're talking about.

There are a ton of valid reasons for kids to make the decision to play at those schools.

> Playing time. PT is a big factor, and it's also the reason the Gophers are able to beat out some of the "helmet schools" for recruits. It matters.
> Some people like being a big fish in a small pond. To each his own. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.
> I know it's shocking, particularly for someone like a current student who hasn't actually had to PAY for their education yet, but a full ride is a major deal to some people. Everyone has a different financial situation. To a lot of families, a paid 4 years could be everything.
> NDSU is playing for National Championships. The Gophers, not so much. It means something to some people, although of all the reasons listed here, this might be the smallest.

Another aspect in terms of playing time. If you're a Walk-On, and you're competing against a scholarship player, you have to do more than beat them out; you have to be CONSIDERABLY better than the scholarship player to see the field. It's not that different than in the NFL, it is almost impossible for a Free Agent player to beat out a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. The team has a lot invested in those higher draft picks. It's the same for scholarship players against Walk-Ons. The Walk-On is fighting an UPHILL BATTLE.

Bottom line, it shows a level of ignorance to question how anybody could POSSIBLY consider a full scholarship at an FCS school rather than walk on for the Gophers.

KEY DIFFERENCE: Those Badgers are coming to this board to chime in on everything Gopher related. If Gopher fans went to Bisonville to talk about Conroy and then ripped on their program...it'd be apples to apples. That's not what is happening in this thread. . .on Gopherhole.

As far as your points......
#1: Everyone has admitted that PT is somewhat of a factor. However, it doesn't seem to be a huge factor for these kids because I can't recall a single player choosing NDSU over the U when they both had scholarship offers. You'd assume (maybe not accurately) that it'd be easier to get PT at NDSU than the U. I do agree with you that this might be a tiny factor for the walk-ons, just another thing to consider, it isn't the draw to NDSU.
#2: Theoretically...yes. However, AGAIN, I have yet to see a scenario where a kid had a MN offer and a NDSU offer and he chose NDSU. So it would seem that VERY few athletes want to be that larger fish in a smaller pond. Although, I'll give you that it happens. We seem to be seeing it with Andrews (choosing us over Alabama so far).
#3: Yep, the money is important and everyone has acknowledged the fact, even the NDSU bashers. Dpo was acknowledging the importance of the financial situation with his point....that even though the scholarship (money) is a huge factor, some athletes are considering giving it up to walk on.
#4: Again...you could argue that in theory, however, I can't find 1 example of a kid choosing to play for FCS championships at NDSU over the Big 10 (when they both are offered). This point would seem to be a good argument in why a kid would choose NDSU over North Dakota, but we've yet to see the scenario have ANY impact when it comes to the U recruiting against NDSU.

Your last point is tough, I think it's hard to say at the U. Kill doesn't seem to hesitate to play the best player, regardless of status. We saw walk-on RB Banham in the Bowl Game over guys like Cobb and Wright (on scholarship). We've seen the McAvoys be below guys like Christenson, Mottla, Bak and even Heifort on the depth chart. Wettstein over Hawthorne. The Aussie (I don't believe he's on scholarship) over Orseske. Scholarship WR's like Kiese, Hutton, and Wilson can't find the field. I realize that SOME of these are Brew guys, but in general, Kill doesn't seem to have any reluctance in playing a walk-on over a scholarship player.

Nobody on this thread did this. Not a single person.

Dpo talked about it's impressive/unimpressive for NDSU that a kid would even consider a walk-on from the U over an offer from NDSU. He never argued the inverse (your assertion).

Everyone else just pointed out that there are some good reasons why a kid might choose the U over NDSU. I wrote how you could never argue with a kid choosing the scholarship, a bunch of people argued he should take the scholarship without even thinking about it.

Your statement is a strawman. No one made that argument.

Nobody on this thread did this. Not a single person.

Dpo talked about it's impressive/unimpressive for NDSU that a kid would even consider a walk-on from the U over an offer from NDSU. He never argued the inverse (your assertion).

Everyone else just pointed out that there are some good reasons why a kid might choose the U over NDSU. I wrote how you could never argue with a kid choosing the scholarship, a bunch of people argued he should take the scholarship without even thinking about it.

Your statement is a strawman. No one made that argument.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the points that were being attempted. What I took was that many were saying you should automatically try to walk on at the U rather than take a scholarship at the U. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that every person that weighed in was only talking about the scenario of a scholarship at one school versus walking on at the U. I guess it's possible.

Most of your rebuttals were to the above argument, scholarship at an FCS versus walking on at U. That's not what I was referring to. If it were, yes, your points would all be valid.

I'm just offering a different perspective. Browsing over the thread, it sure seemed many thought it was inexcusable for somebody to take a scholarship over walking on. Dumb argument.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the points that were being attempted. What I took was that many were saying you should automatically try to walk on at the U rather than take a scholarship at the U. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that every person that weighed in was only talking about the scenario of a scholarship at one school versus walking on at the U. I guess it's possible.

Most of your rebuttals were to the above argument, scholarship at an FCS versus walking on at U. That's not what I was referring to. If it were, yes, your points would all be valid.

I'm just offering a different perspective. Browsing over the thread, it sure seemed many thought it was inexcusable for somebody to take a scholarship over walking on. Dumb argument.

That's my entire point. . .no one has said that he should take the U's walk-on offer immediately. They have said that there are positives to both. In fact, the only people who have claimed it should be an easy decision have said that he should go to NDSU.

As far as my rebuttals....well, that's also the point.
You were trying to make points as to why a player would choose NDSU over the U. I understand that the situation is a walk-on at the U and a scholarship player at NDSU. However, my point is that almost the ENTIRE discussion comes down to that single fact (you've now just admitted as much).
The only thing that matters between the two offers is that one is a scholarship and one of them is not (in favor of NDSU). My point was that all of the other things you mentioned (big fish/small pond, FCS Championships, etc.) are completely meaningless because IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE SCHOLARSHIP. If the scholarship is from the U, no one ever chooses the Big Fish stuff. Therefore, talking about the FCS Championships and being a Big Fish are sort of pointless, it's all the scholarship. That's the draw to NDSU over the U and THAT ALONE.

That's my entire point. . .no one has said that he should take the U's walk-on offer immediately. They have said that there are positives to both. In fact, the only people who have claimed it should be an easy decision have said that he should go to NDSU.

As far as my rebuttals....well, that's also the point.
You were trying to make points as to why a player would choose NDSU over the U. I understand that the situation is a walk-on at the U and a scholarship player at NDSU. However, my point is that almost the ENTIRE discussion comes down to that single fact (you've now just admitted as much).
The only thing that matters between the two offers is that one is a scholarship and one of them is not (in favor of NDSU). My point was that all of the other things you mentioned (big fish/small pond, FCS Championships, etc.) are completely meaningless because IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE SCHOLARSHIP. If the scholarship is from the U, no one ever chooses the Big Fish stuff. Therefore, talking about the FCS Championships and being a Big Fish are sort of pointless, it's all the scholarship. That's the draw to NDSU over the U and THAT ALONE.

We are going to great lengths to agree with each other here, apparently. Everything you said is exactly what I'm getting at. For the record, I went back and re-read the thread and a case could certainly be made that a few arguments were attempted that essentially say walking on versus a scholarship is STILL not a choice, why would you ever go to the smaller school. But you are correct, many did chime in that you should go with the scholarship in most cases.

One 'X' factor here, obviously, is the educational aspect of it. If you're going into Agricultural Engineering or Pharmacy, for example, NDSU might be your choice, regardless. Geography could be another; maybe the smaller school is closer to home, parents can see games, etc. Maybe you've grown up rurally your entire life and the thought of living in MSP doesn't exactly float your boat.

Competitive drive is different with everybody. With the "Big Fish" analogy, I wasn't necessarily referring to being a celebrity, etc. I meant moreso that perhaps there are some people who would prefer to be a starter, almost guaranteed, for 3 or even 4 years, as opposed to be fighting it out for some snaps on special teams.

Ego is a big thing that sometimes gets forgotten. Remember, virtually every one of these guys (Gophers or FCS players) were team captains, homecoming kings, All-Conference, All-State, et al. Hitting campus and being a peon freshman is a cold splash of water in the face. Many, MANY of them wash out after a semester or two because they aren't used to NOT being the Big Dog. Nothing like a 22 or 23-year old MAN with a beard telling you in the locker room or at practice that you're just another worthless Freshman when you're 18 years old.

Okay, done ranting. There are a ton of factors, to say the least....

We are going to great lengths to agree with each other here, apparently. Everything you said is exactly what I'm getting at. For the record, I went back and re-read the thread and a case could certainly be made that a few arguments were attempted that essentially say walking on versus a scholarship is STILL not a choice, why would you ever go to the smaller school. But you are correct, many did chime in that you should go with the scholarship in most cases.

One 'X' factor here, obviously, is the educational aspect of it. If you're going into Agricultural Engineering or Pharmacy, for example, NDSU might be your choice, regardless. Geography could be another; maybe the smaller school is closer to home, parents can see games, etc. Maybe you've grown up rurally your entire life and the thought of living in MSP doesn't exactly float your boat.

Competitive drive is different with everybody. With the "Big Fish" analogy, I wasn't necessarily referring to being a celebrity, etc. I meant moreso that perhaps there are some people who would prefer to be a starter, almost guaranteed, for 3 or even 4 years, as opposed to be fighting it out for some snaps on special teams.

Ego is a big thing that sometimes gets forgotten. Remember, virtually every one of these guys (Gophers or FCS players) were team captains, homecoming kings, All-Conference, All-State, et al. Hitting campus and being a peon freshman is a cold splash of water in the face. Many, MANY of them wash out after a semester or two because they aren't used to NOT being the Big Dog. Nothing like a 22 or 23-year old MAN with a beard telling you in the locker room or at practice that you're just another worthless Freshman when you're 18 years old.

Okay, done ranting. There are a ton of factors, to say the least....

Huh??!! I beg to differ. Definitely will not rip the NDSU pharmacy program, but it's solid here (as a current COP student)

Huh??!! I beg to differ. Definitely will not rip the NDSU pharmacy program, but it's solid here (as a current COP student)

Completely agree, Pharmacygopher! I am an alum of the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy and someone with professional experiences with students from both NDSU and the U's program, and there is no comparison.

Um. No.

Maybe he wants to compete at the highest level of football, D1.
Maybe he wants to go to a school who offers a top level education in a major metro area with all the offerings that go with it(restaurants, culture, pro sports, a diverse population, job opportunities)

He may end up on the edge of civilization playing in front of 18,000 for a D2 title, but we here should hope he has bigger and better things in his future as a golden gopher.

Yea, but if he never earns a scholarship or plays here then it's a dumb choice. By the way, it's D1AA national title wise guy. True, Fargo isn't as fun as Mpls, but graduating without 100k in debt and being able to contend for a nat'l championship at the D1AA level is pretty damn fun too.

Yea, but if he never earns a scholarship or plays here then it's a dumb choice. By the way, it's D1AA national title wise guy. True, Fargo isn't as fun as Mpls, but graduating without 100k in debt and being able to contend for a nat'l championship at the D1AA level is pretty damn fun too.

Bolded part...you can't make that statement without knowing the individual.
I'm generalizing but, U of M degree >>>>> NDSU degree...., again generalizing.

Also, (he may have mentioned this) would you want to look back 20 years and wonder if you could have played in the B1G?? Hindsight is 20/20.

The first part is true, nobody's argued that.
Many walk ons don't do either and in that case in 20/20 hindsight,
it would be better to take the scholarship.
BUT
the chance to be a part of Big Ten football, and compete at the highest level of college fotball may be worth it.
D1aa is still the 2nd level of college football regardless of what it's called, therefore i'll call it D2.
Fargo offers very little as far IMO, both in fun and job opportunity.

Witness the hordes of bison fans in the TC area as testament to Fargo's draw.

The first part is true, nobody's argued that.
Many walk ons don't do either and in that case in 20/20 hindsight,
it would be better to take the scholarship.
BUT
the chance to be a part of Big Ten football, and compete at the highest level of college fotball may be worth it.
D1aa is still the 2nd level of college football regardless of what it's called, therefore i'll call it D2.
Fargo offers very little as far IMO, both in fun and job opportunity.

Witness the hordes of bison fans in the TC area as testament to Fargo's draw.

Not to start an argument here, but there are hordes of Gopher fans in the Fargo/Moorhead area also. Regarding PWO at the U versus scholly at NDSU, it is none of my business because it is up to the individual only.

Top Bottom