Q&A: PWO Joey Mydra: "Ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a Gopher."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: PWO Joey Mydra: "Ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a Gopher."

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/483618?referrer_id=388419

Joey Mydra, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound senior safety/linebacker from Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins, recently committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on. Mydra helped lead the Royals to a 5-5 mark this past season, losing to Lakeville North 26-7 in the second round of the Class AAAAAA playoffs.

Gopher Hole caught up with Mydra to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota as preferred walk-on recently. What was the reason that you decided that Minnesota was where you wanted to be?

Joey Mydra: Ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a Gopher. Ever since I was like seven, I grew up watching the Gophers and always really wanted to play for the Gophers. I got into the Carlson School there and I want to get my business degree from Carlson. That is a big reason why, the education part.

Gopher Hole: What other schools were you considering besides Minnesota?

Joey Mydra: I had preferred walk-ons from Northern Illinois and South Dakota State and a scholarship offer from UMD.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many Gopher games this year?

Joey Mydra: Yes. I went to the Wisconsin game. Last year, I went to the homecoming game in Iowa.

Gopher Hole: What has been the reaction of your friends and family since you committed to Minnesota?

Joey Mydra: They are super excited. My brother graduated from Minnesota this past year. He was really excited about that and my family is super happy for me. My friends are really excited about that.

Gopher Hole: If you are getting accepted into the Carlson School of Business, you are obviously a very good student. What is your GPA?

Joey Mydra: 3.8 GPA.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are a player who played several positions in high school. What position are they mostly looking at you playing at Minnesota?

Joey Mydra: I would play outside linebacker.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, at your size, to move to the Big Ten level, you are going to need to get bigger and stronger. Have they talked to you about next year? Are you probably going to redshirt?

Joey Mydra: Yes. We talked about redshirting the first year and putting on more weight and still try to stay fast.

Gopher Hole: How did Minnesota become aware about you?

Joey Mydra: Since I have always wanted to play for the Gophers, it has always been a dream of mine for a long time, so I had my coach contact Coach (Mike) Sherels at the "U" and I had him send out my film. They had been talking back and forth and after Coach Sherels watched my film and he called me to meet with him, so I went and meet with him for a little while and that is when he offered me the preferred walk-on spot.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel even better about your decision?

Joey Mydra: Yes, definitely. I couldn't be more excited.

Gopher Hole: You had some other opportunities. Was it tough on pass on a half scholarship with UMD to walk-on at Minnesota?

Joey Mydra: Yes. It wasn't so much about the money. I want to go where I want to go. I want to get my education from where I am getting my education from, but it was tough pass up UMD. I took an official there and I really liked the guys. I liked the campus, but nothing can beat Minnesota. I have wanted to be a Gopher for a long time. I love the campus. The education is perfect. The Gophers are where I want to be.

Gopher Hole: You are also familiar with it because of your brother. Was that a big factor because you got to know the school a little bit from him?

Joey Mydra: Yes¸ definitely. That is where he really turned me on to the school. He said that he loved his experience and it was great.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing any other sports at Hopkins?

Joey Mydra: No, I'm not.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on to get ready for summer camp?

Joey Mydra: The two main things are gaining weight, while still staying explosive. Doing a lot of speed training. I will also do a lot of weight training since I plan on putting on some weight.

It is their strong personal conviction and that "work-hard to prove themselves attitude" that often turns walk-on guys like Joey Mydra, and many others in many programs over the years, into college stars. And sometimes even NFL stars/long-time NFL veterans. Best of luck to Joey and I hope he has that kind of outcome at the U of M during his time here. Ski-U-Mah!

Top Bottom