Q&A: Ohio Athlete Marcus Whitefield Talks Recruiting

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ohio Athlete Marcus Whitefield Talks Recruiting and Relationship with Gophers Coach Zebrowski
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/276943?referrer_id=331171

Marcus Whitfield, a 6-1, 180-pound cornerback/wide receiver from Massillon (OH) High has received interest from the Gophers and a visit from Coach Zebrowski. Gopher Hole recently caught up Whitfield to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Marcus Whitfield: I went to West Virginia, Michigan State and Indiana.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel that when you go to those camps that you are able to pick up some things that will make you a better player?

Marcus Whitfield: Yes, of course. The coaches are really good and going to those camps really helped me, if I can just carry it over to practice.

Gopher Hole: You have five offers right now from Ohio University, Toledo, Bowling Green, Kent State and Buffalo. What other schools are you hearing from the most?

Marcus Whitfield: Indiana. I have been talking to their coach for awhile, so I am hoping for something out of that. Cincy is also starting to talk to me now. They have been talking to me more and sending me handwritten mail now.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Marcus Whitfield: I have been getting mail from them. They asked me to go to their camp.

Gopher Hole: Have you ever been to Minnesota?

Marcus Whitfield: No.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing both sides of the field again this season?

Marcus Whitfield: Yes.

Gopher Hole: Do you think playing wide receiver helps you as a defensive back since you know what a wideout would try to do against a cornerback?

Marcus Whitfield: Yes, it helps me, plus it helps more with my ball skills on defense.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a football player?

Marcus Whitfield: Offensively, probably quickness and off the run after the catch. That is what a lot of people say. That is what I think, too. When I have the ball, everyone says, I pick up a lot of yards.

Gopher Hole: How about as a defensive back? What do you see as your strengths?

Marcus Whitfield: Probably tackling and breaking to the ball and making the play. Just really analyzing the field and knowing what is going on.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to make yourself a better football player?

Marcus Whitfield: First and foremost, grades in the class room. My grades are good. On the football field, just make sure that I am working hard and staying on top of my game. That, of course, will help me get recruited and that will help me get into college football.

Gopher Hole: What do you think that you have to show to the higher profile programs like Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Penn State, West Virginia and Minnesota to show that you can play at that level?

Marcus Whitfield: Basically showing that I know how to play football. How I am quick. I know what I am doing. I can hit. I can get picks. I can pretty much do anything that a defensive back should do and more.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to get an offer from Minnesota or one of those big time schools?

Marcus Whitfield: It means a lot to me because ever since I was little I wanted to go Big Ten. Of course, my grandpa (David Whitfield Jr. who was a captain at Massillon in 1965 and at Ohio State in 1969) played for Ohio State, so I want to get looks from Ohio State. I want to play in the Big Ten, so I realize what is going on and if I picked up a Big Ten offer, it would mean a lot.

Gopher Hole: Did your dad also play football?

Marcus Whitfield: My dad also played at Massillon, but he didn't play college.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about trying to visit some schools before your high school season starts?

Marcus Whitfield: I do want to go back to Indiana if they were to offer, but other than that, I'll just wait to see what comes up, what coaches are talking and then I'll take visits.

Gopher Hole: You are talking to Gopher coach Zebrowski. What is your relationship like with him been? Have you gotten to know him?

Marcus Whitfield: Not a lot. I do know him pretty well. He has stopped by the school.

Top Bottom