Q&A: Melvin Holland on Why He Committed to U: "The fans. The coaching staff is great"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Melvin Holland on Why He Committed to U: "The fans. The coaching staff is great"

Q&A: WR Melvin Holland on Why He Committed to U: "The fans. The coaching staff is great."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/343494?referrer_id=388419

Melvin Holland Jr., a 6-3, 190-pound wide receiver from Ashburn (VA) Briar Woods is the latest player to commit to Minnesota and is a big time commitment from a position in great need. Holland Jr. has the potential to be an impact threat for Minnesota.

Holland Jr helped lead the Falcons to a 13-2 mark, losing in the state title game to L.C. Bird 35-28, despite Holland catching five passes for 199 yards and three scores. Briar Woods had won the three previous state titles. He had 64 catches for 1032 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Gopher Hole caught up with Holland Jr. Monday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you decided to commit to the Gophers tonight?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Basically, the family atmosphere. The fans. The coaching staff is great. Coach Kill is a great coach. Coach Anderson recruited me really well. When I got there, I really like the school and it was just a football program that I had to be a part of.

Gopher Hole: Did you visit Wake Forest this past weekend?

Melvin Holland Jr.: I just got home from Wake Forest. It is a great school. I really enjoyed it. Their coaching staff is really good, too. I really liked the school itself. I meet a lot of the players and my friend Cam (Serigne, a freshman tight end from Briar Woods) goes there, too. Minnesota was just a better fit for me.

Gopher Hole: Did you like the recruiting process or were you glad to be done with everything?

Melvin Holland Jr.: I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it overall. I got to meet a lot of people and meet a lot of coaches. I got to see schools that were really interested in me. I just liked the whole thing.

Gopher Hole: What about least favorite? Was there anything that you didn't like?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Not really. The only thing was the phone calls, but that's about it. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but does it seem like a weight lifted off your shoulders already having that decision done?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Oh, yes. Definitely. It is good.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a wide receiver?

Melvin Holland Jr.: It is hard to boast about yourself, but I guess that I am pretty fast (he runs a 4.5 40 yard dash). I am a real technician about my routes. I like my routes to be crisp. I would say that I have pretty good hands. They are pretty soft for a receiver. I am a quick learner, so that should help me, too.

Gopher Hole: How did Minnesota first find out about you?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Coach Anderson. It is funny because coach Anderson said that he usually gets about 100 e-mails a day about kids sending in their stuff and one day, he particularly clicked on an e-mail and it was mine and he said that he liked my stuff and when he saw that I didn't have any BCS offers or stuff like that, he wanted to know how to get in touch with me and that is how it all happened.

Gopher Hole: What have they said about your role for next season? Are you hoping to play next year or would you want to redshirt? Have you thought that far yet?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Not really. Actually, I just want to work hard and if I work hard enough, hopefully, I'll be able to play soon, but if I am not ready, I'm not ready. I am going to work hard and do the best that I can for the team.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on to continue to improve yourself as a wide receiver?

Melvin Holland Jr.: Trying to gain a little weight. Get a little faster. Get a little stronger and work better at my craft. I am doing strength training and that will help me get faster out of my breaks.

Top Bottom