Q&A; McKinley Wright Having Big Junior Season, Recruitment Picks Up as a Result

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A; McKinley Wright Having Big Junior Season, Recruitment Picks Up as a Result
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/594769?referrer_id=

McKinley Wright, a 6-foot, 164-pound junior guard from Champlin Park (MN) High, helped lead the Rebels to a 31-1 record as they finished runner-up to Apple Valley in the Class AAAA finals, losing 64-61 at the Target Center last March.

Wright is averaging a team-best 19.3 points, 9.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game this year for the Rebels. He has scored in double figures in six of his first seven games with four games of more than 20 points, including a season-best 26 points versus DeLaSalle.

Wright averaged 13.8 points and led the Rebels in rebounds and assists as a sophomore.

Wright, who is considered one of the state's top guards in the Class of 2017, recently caught up with Gopher Hole.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you guys are off to a good start. How pleased are you with how well the team has been playing?

McKinley Wright: We are off to a great start. We started off slow, but we picked it up in the second half a lot. I really like how we are playing right now.

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at the Nebraska-Omaha game versus the Gophers. Did you have a chance to go to many college football or college basketball games this fall?

McKinley Wright: I have been to about three or four college basketball games this year. It has been good. I have been to two football games and the rest are basketball games, so it is good.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

McKinley Wright: I have seven.

Gopher Hole: Do you remember who off the top of your head?

McKinley Wright: I have Dayton, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Sam Houston State, Illinois and Creighton.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, that has to make you feel pretty proud. Does that makes you want to work even harder to continue to add to that list?

McKinley Wright: Of course, it does. I want to keep on proving that I am a better player than people think I am. Continue to receive scholarship offers, so yes, it does.

Gopher Hole: You lost a lot of key seniors, but you and Theo (John) have stepped up your play, not only individually, but being more of a leader. Is that something that you like, being more of a leader because you lost some great players like J.T. Gibson, Marty Hill and Jeremy Johnson?

McKinley Wright: We lost some very good players, but me and Theo picked up our roles a lot. Coach told us that we have a big role in trying to lead this team to a state championship this year. I like my role on this team.

Gopher Hole: What is the biggest area of improvement that you have seen from your game from last year to this year?

McKinley Wright: My jump shot. It has come a long way from last year. I went from taking about two jump shots a game to nine. My jump shot has come a long way.

Gopher Hole: One of the things I am impressed with when I watch you is your rebounding. Last year, you led the team in rebounding, even though you are not one of the taller guys? Is that something you take a lot of pride in knowing where the ball is going to be?

McKinley Wright: Yes. I like to add that part in my game. I try to stuff the stats. People don't think I should be rebounding, but coach likes it. I like it, so I get in there and rebound.

Top Bottom