Q&A: Matthew Hurt Says Gophers Future is Bright With In-Coming Recruiting Class

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Freshman Matthew Hurt Says Gophers Future is Bright With In-Coming Recruiting Class
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/605977?referrer_id=

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9 freshman forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019 and is a big recruiting target of the Gophers.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, is a Minnesota Gopher signee and is ranked as the number two senior in the state.

Matthew Hurt is averaging 18.9 points, 8.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 2.6 blocks and 2.1 steals per game this season for the Rockets, who are off to a great start this season.. He is shooting 56.2% from the field, 74.6% from the free throw line and 40.0% from three-point range.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt to learn the latest on his freshman season and recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You have had a couple of close losses this season. What have you learned from those two losses against Shakopee and Woodbury that is going to help your team get better and better?

Matthew Hurt: There are little things that make the fate of the game really big. We can have little mistakes and that can change the game a lot. We just have to not do those little mistakes and I think that we can really improve.

Gopher Hole: What have you seen from last year to this year in your game that has shown the most improvement?

Matthew Hurt: I'm scoring more. I am being more active, cutting without the ball handling. You can always get better at everything.

Gopher Hole: When you play at your age level during the AAU season, it isn't as physical as when you play against the older guys. Have you been able to adjust to that pretty well?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, but I can always get stronger. I am going to keep getting stronger because I am only a freshman. I always take "no," and never back down.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? How many offers are you up to right now?

Matthew Hurt: Two. (Iowa and Iowa State)

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from? I know that it is so early being only a freshman.

Matthew Hurt: Northwestern, Minnesota, Marquette, Stanford, Virginia and UNI.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still so early, but do you like the recruiting process?

Matthew Hurt: It is fun so far, but I am going to get more of it in the future.

Gopher Hole: Do you think having your brother go through and watching him is going to help you a little bit?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. That has helped me a lot.

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at a few Gopher games. What have you seen from the Gophers? I know that they are struggling a little bit and are a very young team, but what have you seen from them this year?

Matthew Hurt: They are young, but they are always going to get better. Their future is bright with the class coming in. The class this year was pretty good, so the future is bright in Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to be playing back at the Target Center in March (for the state tournament)?

Matthew Hurt: It would mean a lot, but Lakeville North is a tough team. Their coaching is really good and their players are good. We just have to get past that first.

Top Bottom