Q&A: Matthew Hurt on Sophomore Season, Recruiting and the Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Matthew Hurt on Sophomore Season, Recruiting and the Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/737677?referrer_id=331171

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound sophomore forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, is a current freshman at Minnesota and was ranked as the number two senior in the state this past season.

Matthew Hurt averaged 18.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.1 blocks and 1.7 steals per game this season as the Rockets finished 24-5, losing to Lakeville North 60-58 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fourth straight year. He shot 57.5% from the field, 78.2% from the free throw line and 41.4% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures in all but two games with a season-high 33 points versus Shakopee.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt after their season-opening loss to Champlin Park to learn about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Tough opponent to play tonight, but these are games that are going to help you for the rest of the year. What was the feeling about facing Champlin Park?

Matthew Hurt: I think that they are the best team in the state. We competed the first half. In the second half, we didn't have that same energy. I give all the credit to them, because they are one, a good team and they forced us to take bad shots. They ran and ran. Just give all the credit to them, but I think that helps us, because last year, we didn't play a really good team last year. I think that is going to help us in March, so I think it is a good setup.

Gopher Hole: You have another top opponent next week, too?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. We play Friday and we play Saturday. Hopkins is a great team. They have Simon (Wright) and Anthony (Davis). It will be a really tough game. They can defend. They can shoot. So we are going to have to go over a lot of film and hope that we can compete with them.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch them much? I know that you were getting ready for your game, but did you get a chance to watch the first half?

Matthew Hurt: No. I watched a little bit. A.J. Green is really good. Their defense is really good. Anyone on the floor can score, so it is going to be a really tough matchup.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for the Rockets? Obviously, you have made it to the section finals the last four years.

Matthew Hurt: We should be solid again. We have a good core coming back and a couple of juniors are stepping up. We should be pretty good again.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have been working hard to improve all aspects of your game. What have you been focused on the most to improve yourself as a player?

Matthew Hurt: My three and my pull-up and getting stronger, because if you are stronger and more athletic, it is just easier to run down the court and body people. It helps me. It helps anyone.

Gopher Hole: You have gotten a little bigger and are finally over the 200-pound mark. Can you tell on the court how that has helped you as a player, because in the past, I think that teams tried to get physical with you?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, I think the weight helps a lot. It is just one game. We can learn from this game and get in the weight room and get back in the gym and repeat.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many college football or college basketball games yet this year?

Matthew Hurt: I haven't gone to any college football or college basketball games. I've just been watching on TV, mostly.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are up to now? Do you still keep track?

Matthew Hurt: It is kind of hard.

Gopher Hole: What is the last offer that you remember?

Matthew Hurt: I don't remember.

Gopher Hole: What schools are you getting the most mail from?

Matthew Hurt: Georgetown. Most of the schools out East now.

Gopher Hole: Your brother is now at Minnesota. What is he telling you about Minnesota now that he is finally there?

Matthew Hurt: He is saying that he is liking it. The coaches are good. The players are fun to be around. He says that it is just a good environment to be around.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to see many of their games and see how he is playing?

Matthew Hurt: I watch most of their games on TV. They should be pretty good this year.

Gopher Hole: Any plans to go to other games? I know that it is tough with your schedule high-school wise?

Matthew Hurt: I think that we might go to one of their Saturday games when I don't have practice or have an earlier practice.

Gopher Hole: Are you still liking the recruiting process or are you starting to see how it could a little overwhelming at times?

Matthew Hurt: It can get overwhelming. I really don't like focus on that. I just focus on trying to get better and try to get my team the "W."

Gopher Hole: Do you think it helps in the recruiting process that you not only having your brother, but also your dad and your mom is a former athlete as well?

Matthew Hurt: It helps me a lot to give me some pointers then and there, so I am just grateful to have that.

Gopher Hole: You got to play in late summer and fall in some big events across the country. What did you gain from that experience?

Matthew Hurt: That you have to find other ways to score than just inside. Use your dribble moves. Just try to get to the basket. Finish with contact against taller people.

Gopher Hole: Where all did you go?

Matthew Hurt: I went Miami, Virginia, California and Colorado Springs.

Top Bottom