Q&A: Matthew Hurt Discusses Season, Recruiting, and Potential of Growing Few Inches

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Matthew Hurt Discusses Season, Recruiting, and Potential of Growing Few Inches

Q&A: Matthew Hurt Discusses Freshman Season, Recruiting, and Potential of Growing Few More Inches
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/635315?referrer_id=

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9 freshman forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, is a Minnesota Gopher signee and is ranked as the number two senior in the state.

Matthew Hurt averaged 18.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.1 blocks and 1.7 steals per game this season as the Rockets finished 24-5, losing to Lakeville North 60-58 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fourth straight year. He shot 57.5% from the field, 78.2% from the free throw line and 41.4% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures in all but two games with a season-high 33 points versus Shakopee.

Gopher Hole caught up with Hurt at a recent Minnesota Timberwolves game to learn more about his freshman season and upcoming future with the Gophers.

Gopher Hole: You are back at the Target Center. You were hoping to be here for the state tournament. I know that you watched some of the playoffs games. How tough was it getting so close and not making it to state?

Matthew Hurt: It was tough for us, because we played a great game against Lakeville North. They just beat us and they are a really good team. Their coaching is really good. Their players are really good. We had a chance and we didn't take the opportunities, but I hope next year we can.

Gopher Hole: Did it make it a little bit easier seeing them at least get to the state championship game?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. It made it easier, but hopefully, we can do it next year.

Gopher Hole: I know that you lose Michael, but you have four starters back and have a lot of young players coming up, too. What are the expectations for next year?

Matthew Hurt: Next year, we should be pretty good again, but we lose Michael and we lose D'Angelo (Tines) and Brandon (Kriegel), pretty good shooters, but next year, we should be really talented and we'll see what happens. .

Gopher Hole: Next year, you are going to take over a little bit more of a leadership role. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. In practice, being vocal. Telling people what to do on plays and stuff. Helping my teammate get confidence. I hope that I can be one of the leaders on the team next year.

Gopher Hole: You are starting AAU basketball and your team is expected to be one of the better teams in the state. What are the expectations?

Matthew Hurt: Our team is pretty good. We have shooters. We have really athletic people on our team. We should be really tough, because they can't really focus on one guy. Everyone on the court can shoot the ball. That is going to help us a lot.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are playing 17's this year. What is the biggest difference you think that you are going to see from playing 16's in the past to 17's this year?

Matthew Hurt: The pace. More athletic people. Size. More physical.

Gopher Hole: What are you hoping to improve the most in your game this summer?

Matthew Hurt: Getting stronger, Handling the ball more. Just being more of a threat on defense. Locking down the team's best offensive player because of my length and my size can help me a lot.

Gopher Hole: It actually looks like you are bigger than the last time that I saw you?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. I have been lifting at X/O, trying to get big. Lifting and doing some turf work. Lifting for 45 minutes and doing turf work for 45 minutes.

Gopher Hole: What are you up to height and weight-wise?

Matthew Hurt: I'm like 197 right now. My height is like 6-9.

Gopher Hole: Have they talked to you about what you could grow to?

Matthew Hurt: Not yet.

Gopher Hole: You still expect a few more inches?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, A couple more inches.

Gopher Hole: Is it funny that you are the "little brother," but you are three inches taller than your brother?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. It is not really common.

Gopher Hole: What is the going on with your recruitment? How many offers are you up to right now?

Matthew Hurt: Two. (Iowa and Iowa State).

Gopher Hole: Are you hearing from any new schools since the season has been over?

Matthew Hurt: Wisconsin, Virginia and Northwestern. All the Midwest schools. Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: Have the coaches told you that they are going to come watch you once the AAU season starts and the coaches can go on the road?

Matthew Hurt: They are going to try to come to our first adidas event in Dallas in the middle of April. It should be pretty fun.

Gopher Hole: Do you still like the recruiting process?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. It is fun, but there is a lot more to come.

The blue blood offers are likely to start coming in this summer. I know we were letting Michael enjoy his senior season without offering Matthew, but no reason to wait now on an offer.

Ryan James made it sound like he can commit to the Gophers anytime he wants and that there's nothing to worry about

I bet he has a "wink-wink" offer from when they started recruiting his brother.

Top Bottom