Q&A: Junior Big Man Theo John Talks Gophers, Recruitment and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Junior Big Man Theo John Talks Gophers, Recruitment and More
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/592799?referrer_id=

Theo John, a 6-foot-9 junior center from Champlin Park (MN) High, helped lead the Rebels to a 31-1 record as they finished runner-up to Apple Valley in the Class AAAA title game, losing 64-61. He received a scholarship offer from Minnesota this past spring.

John is averaging 17.2 points and 8.7 rebounds per game this year for the Rebels. He has scored in double figures in five of his first six games with two games of more than 20 points, including a season-best 22 points versus DeLaSalle. John has nearly doubled his scoring output as a sophomore (8.8 points) and significantly improved his rebounding from 5.8 boards per game last year

John, who is considered the state's top big man in the Class of 2017, caught up with Gopher Hole after their recent win over DeLaSalle in the Breakdown Tip-Off Classic.

Gopher Hole: This game had a playoff atmosphere. Do you like playing these types of games early in the season to get you ready for conference play and hopefully a long run in the postseason?

Theo John: It is a good test. We have got a lot of young guys and people who haven't played varsity minutes yet, so it is a good test for them to just get the atmosphere down and tempo and the pressure off their back, just so it is not that smack in the face, once we hit playoff time.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with the team's performance so far this season?

Theo John: We did really good as a team. We were moving the ball. Sharing. No selfish play. The defensive rotation were very well. We've got some stuff to work on. There is never a prefect game, but I feel this is good for a first test.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with your own individual play?

Theo John: I feel I did pretty good. Could have done more to help my team, but we got the "W." They pulled through.

Gopher Hole: You and your teammate McKinley Wright are having a lot more of a leadership role with losing some talented seniors from last year's squad. Is that something you like so far, being more of a leader?

Theo John: Yes. We all want to win. We just have to teach them how to do it. Me and Kin were on a winning team last year and we know what it takes, so we just have to bring that intensity to practice and show them, so we can be a good team, not two individual players.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now? How many offers are you up to right now?

Theo John: Right now, I have nine offers. (John has offers from schools such as Minnesota, Marquette, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech)

Gopher Hole: Did you have a chance to go to many college football games at all?

Theo John: This summer, no. I was mainly just training and working on my game, so that I can get more opportunities to go on those.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest offer?

Theo John: I believe it was Oklahoma or Kansas State.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have gotten quite a few looks from the Big 12 schools. Besides Oklahoma and Kansas State, you have gotten Texas Tech and Iowa State, right?

Theo John: Not Iowa State.

Gopher Hole: I thought that they had offered?

Theo John: They haven't offered me yet, but I am hoping that it is pretty soon.

Gopher Hole: One of your first offers was from Minnesota. What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Theo John: They are just telling me what I need to work on. They have been to a few games already. Just kind of teaching me and seeing what college coaches are looking for. I have been to a few games. Got the privilege to go down and see my former teammate J.T. Gibson play for Nebraska-Omaha. We brought the team down for that game. Getting the feel for the college atmosphere and stuff.

Gopher Hole: I know that right now, they really only have one scholarship for your year. I think that you are one of, if not the main guy that they are looking at. Is that something that they have talked to you about that they don't have a lot of scholarships, but they really want you?

Theo John: Yes. They have emphasized on how much they like my game and like my potential, but as far as like specifically saying that they only have one, they haven't really brought that up, but they are definitely interested.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your biggest improvement from last year as a sophomore to now?

Theo John: I guess that leadership role. Last year, I was more timid and this year, I'm just more confident in my game. Catching the ball everywhere on the floor and just leading my teammates.

Top Bottom