Q&A: Jericho Sims on University of Minnesota: It would be a good opportunity for me.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jericho Sims on University of Minnesota: It would be a good opportunity for me.

Q&A: Jericho Sims on University of Minnesota: "It would be a good opportunity for me."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/645697?referrer_id=

Jericho Sims, a 6-foot-9, 210-pound junior forward from Minneapolis (MN) Cristo Rey Jesuit, is considered one of Minnesota's top players in the Class of 2018 and he has exploded on the AAU scene this Spring.

Sims has helped lead D1 Minnesota to a great start in the adidas series and has added several top offers in the past two weeks. He is averaging 5.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game this spring.

Sims comes from an athletic family. His father, Charles, played basketball for the Gophers from 1971-1975. Two of his brothers also played Division basketball. Jason played basketball at Northern Iowa, where he averaged 8.0 points and 4,8 rebounds in three season Ty played basketball at Kansas State, averaging 4.7 points and 2.4 rebounds. Older brother Dominique played football for the Gophers after a standout high school career at DeLaSalle.

Sims averaged 22.5 points and 11.9 rebounds per game this season as the Pumas finished 20-8, losing to Heritage Christian 62-44 in the second round of the playoffs.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Sims at a recent D1 Minnesota practice to learn the latest on his AAU season and recent scholarship offers.

Gopher Hole: You guys are off to a very good start AAU-wise. How pleased are you with how well you guys have been playing?

Jericho Sims: I am pleased, but I know that we can do a lot better. This is why we are practicing, keeping our regular schedule Tuesdays and Thursdays, so we can be better at the end of the month.

Gopher Hole: What is the biggest difference you have seen from playing at a 16-and-under level to playing 17's?

Jericho Sims: There are definitely bigger and stronger kids. This is our last year of AAU, so we are just putting it all out on the court.

Gopher Hole: You picked up some recent offers, including one from Minnesota. What other offers have you received recently?

Jericho Sims: Kansas State, Xavier and Iowa State. (Texas and Florida have since offered).

Gopher Hole: Minnesota is the home state school. What does it mean to get an offer from them?

Jericho Sims: It means a lot because we have a legacy there with my brother and my dad. It would be a good opportunity for me.

Gopher Hole: What has your dad and your brother said about the University of Minnesota?

Jericho Sims: They said it was a good school. It used to be different and sometimes, my dad talks about his old coach.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play at the same school that your dad and brother played at?

Jericho Sims: I think that it would be a good opportunity.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are still aways from making a decision, but what are going to be the main factors that are going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Jericho Sims: A lot of places have the same things, so it basically comes down to the players and the coaches and how I fit in with the environment. .

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota has also offered a few other players who play on this team like Nathan Reuvers, McKinley Wright and now Matthew Hurt. Have you talked to some of the guys about what they are going through recruiting and share some stories?

Jericho Sims: I have not, actually.

Gopher Hole: Who do you talk to mostly to get advice? Obviously, your dad has been through and you have three brothers, who played college sports. Do you talk to them about recruiting?

Jericho Sims: Yes, I mostly talk to my brothers.

Gopher Hole: What have you learned from them so far?

Jericho Sims: Just stay cool. Don't show too much to these coaches. Just to stay neutral.

Gopher Hole: Do you know what schools you are planning on visiting soon?

Jericho Sims: I haven't had any plans on visit.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you are going to try to decide on a school? Would you sign in the early signing period or would you wait awhile?

Jericho Sims: I'll probably wait awhile, in the fall period.

Gopher Hole: What are the rest of the plans for the summer? I know that you are playing in some big tournaments. Are you going to go to any college camps or any individual camps that you know of yet?

Jericho Sims: I probably wouldn't. I'll just use this opportunity after the AAU season to really work on my game even more so than I am doing now.

Gopher Hole: What things do you really want to work on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Jericho Sims: My post play, when I get someone smaller on me. My jump shot. I can't rely going to the basket all the time. My handles. Just being more versatile.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as the biggest area of improvement from your game from last year to this year?

Jericho Sims: Accountability and energy.

Gopher Hole: Were you surprised when you picked up a lot of interest and attention after last summer?

Jericho Sims: That is what I expected to do because I went out there and played my hardest every game.

Gopher Hole: Is it a little bit tough sometimes playing against a lot smaller players in high school and you are getting double and triple teamed at times?

Jericho Sims: Yes, it is a big adjustment from AAU to come here with people double teaming me, because I am the main player all the time.

love the gopher bloodlines, love the potential.

Top Bottom