Q&A: Illinois Safety Darius Jackson Has A Big Supporter In His Head Coach

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Darius Jackson, a 6-foot athlete from Sparta (IL) High, visited Minnesota this past weekend. The under-the-radar senior had a good time on his visit, putting the Golden Gophers in a strong position to land the safety. GopherHole.com caught up with Sparta head coach Edmund Jones, who has unique relationship with the Minnesota program, to learn the latest on Jackson’s recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1598

Sounds like a great kid to get!

btw - let's try and keep this thread focused on the young man and gopher recruit darius jackson. and NOT have it go off on some silly tangent about e.j. jones and that whole 2007 incident involving dominic jones, alex daniels, robert mcfield, etc. which is well in the past.

i know that sentence sounds contradictory and hypocritical since here i am bringing up e.j. jones' name. but i noticed within the gopherhole interview it talks about e.j. jones' dad (he is darius jackson's high school coach) as well as former gopher e.j. jones. i don't want to see one of the hater rubes who post here send this thread about darius in an unnecessary direction about something that happened 5 years ago and darius had absolutely nothing to do with.

anyways, darius sounds like a solid athlete and appears to have a good head on his shoulders. don't mind guys like that on our squad. best of luck, darius!

Sorry supadupafly - there is bad news

Edmund Jones: He loved it. What is not to love, it is a great American city. It is a Big Ten University. An outstanding academic university. Coach Kill and his staff are just outstanding people and leaders and teachers and role models and things of that nature. I have a little bit of insight. My son (E.J. Jones) went there for two years (before transferring to Illinois State). I know that the athletic department has been run by a very fine man in Joe Maturi. I’ve had at least ten to twelve conversations with Joe Maturi over the years and I have a lot of respect for him.

Per the bold statement above, his coach is guilty of the worst kind of crime, i.e. being a Joe Maturi apologist. wren - start writing those letters to the prexy now!

Rivals doesn't show an offer yet. He sounds like a good kid, and a real sleeper, I think that he's a good plan B as a developmental candidate. I think his biggest problem is that if a recruit is available that projects to play early we might have to take him because we have immediate needs.

Top Bottom