Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Potential of Playing for Hometown Gophers: "It would great."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Potential of Playing for Hometown Gophers: "It would great."

Q&A: Sophomore Gabe Kalscheur on Potential of Playing for Hometown Gophers: "It would be great."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/597591?referrer_id=

Gabe Kalscheur, a 6-foot-3 sophomore guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, is one of the top players in the Minnesota Class of 2018.

Kalscheur is averaging a team-best 25.6 points per game this year for the Islanders. Kalscheur averaged 6.3 points per game as a freshman with five double figure games, including two of the Islanders' three games in the Class AAA state tournament. He had 10 points in their first round win over Albany and 12 versus Mankato East in the second round.

Kalscheur, who attended the Gophers game on Saturday vs Northwestern, recently caught up with Gopher to learn the latest on his recruitment. .

Gopher Hole: I know that it early, but what schools are you hearing from right now?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have got an offer from North Dakota. I am talking to Wisconsin, Minnesota and UNI.

Gopher Hole: You went to one of the Gopher game recently. What game did you attend?

Gabe Kalscheur: I was at the game when they played Clemson. (Gabe also attended the game yesterday)

Gopher Hole: What was that experience like?

Gabe Kalscheur: It was a good one because it was high rising.

Gopher Hole: What things were you focused on before the season to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have just been trying to get my shot down, because my coach told me to be an offensive threat more and also to improve my defense, because defense impacts on my offense.

Gopher Hole: Your role this year is a lot different with the graduation losses of starters Jarvis Johnson (Minnesota), Sacar Anim (Marquette) and Josh Collins (North Dakota) . Is that something you are looking forward to being more of a scorer and more of a leader this season?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes. I am very excited about that and having Goanar (Mar), too, because we can both be leaders, too. That is a great role to play this year.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, the goal is to win another state title. You guys have the past four. What would it mean win another title with DeLaSalle, especially since your role is much bigger this year?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be like history. It would be history and it would also help going on from next year, too. I'm only a sophomore, so the junior season and the senior season, would be great too, if we won this year.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, when you play at DeLaSalle, you are going to get everyone's best game because everyone wants to beat you because you win so much. Is that something that you like knowing that you are always going to get someone's best game?

Gabe Kalscheur: We like that. We like being the top outlet. We know that we are not the top outlet really. We need to bring it every game and bring it at a 100%.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the opportunity to play Division I basketball?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would mean a lot to me, because I have worked so hard. I have worked really hard and in school, I have been working super hard and I put in my time and effort.

Gopher Hole: Where did you get your love for basketball? Any relatives play basketball?

Gabe Kalscheur: No, I was a single child. My mom was there to raise me. My mom, pretty much, helped me every day, so I got it from her.

Gopher Hole: I know it is still far away, but do you know your summer plans and who you will be playing for this summer?

Gabe Kalscheur: I don't know who I'll be playing with.

Gopher Hole: What are some of the things that are going to make you pick School A over School B or School when it comes on making a decision?

Gabe Kalscheur: The atmosphere. The style of play. The tempo. I like playing up in transition.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have talked to Pitino a little. I have been to a lot of their games this year.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have a chance to play for the hometown school?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be fun. It is close by. It would be great.

This kid has big time talent and when all is said and done, he'll have big time offers.

Kalscheur was the dominate player in the 3A title game, he looks like he is going to be very good.

State tourney was my first time seeing him. Didn't disappoint. Very impressive.

One of top shooters in 2018 class nationally. Will have plenty of opportunities to see him this summer with the 17 under HP EYBL squad.

That 2018 class could be a big one for the Gophers on a couple of different fronts.

First one is that we'll likely need to replace multiple starters in Mason and Lynch. Fitzgerald too, who could very well be a starter or at least a major minutes guy and likely Konate who will be a backup big. That's 4 schollies without taking into account transfers and departures.

Second is that if next year goes poorly, it could be the first real full recruiting class a new coach would have as the 2017 class would likely be a poor one given said unnamed new hired coach wouldn't have much time to establish with those kids.

If this upcoming year goes well and Pitino continues to build this thing, that 2018 class could be a really important one.

Would love to land Kalscheur and Thompson. Doubt Jones comes here but I'd love him too.

That 2018 class could be a big one for the Gophers on a couple of different fronts.

First one is that we'll likely need to replace multiple starters in Mason and Lynch. Fitzgerald too, who could very well be a starter or at least a major minutes guy and likely Konate who will be a backup big. That's 4 schollies without taking into account transfers and departures.

Second is that if next year goes poorly, it could be the first real full recruiting class a new coach would have as the 2017 class would likely be a poor one given said unnamed new hired coach wouldn't have much time to establish with those kids.

If this upcoming year goes well and Pitino continues to build this thing, that 2018 class could be a really important one.

Would love to land Kalscheur and Thompson. Doubt Jones comes here but I'd love him too.

Yep those three have to be at the top of the big board,

[/B]
Yep those three have to be at the top of the big board,

Guys like Shae Mitchell, Daniel Oturu, Javonni Bickham, Jarvis Thomas, and Adam Trapp all have the potential to be high major recruits as well. Mitchell is a SF, Bickham, Oturu, and Thomas are PF's, and Trapp is the 7'2 kid from Esko. I think Mitchell will will eventually see a Gopher offer myself. Bickham, Thomas, and Oturu are likely backup plans to Thompson. Trapp is still a wildcard in regards to his development, but you can't teach that height, so he will likely be on the radar.

Guys like Shae Mitchell, Daniel Oturu, Javonni Bickham, Jarvis Thomas, and Adam Trapp all have the potential to be high major recruits as well. Mitchell is a SF, Bickham, Oturu, and Thomas are PF's, and Trapp is the 7'2 kid from Esko. I think Mitchell will will eventually see a Gopher offer myself. Bickham, Thomas, and Oturu are likely backup plans to Thompson. Trapp is still a wildcard in regards to his development, but you can't teach that height, so he will likely be on the radar.

Trapp already has an offer from Iowa, so he is a high major recruit.

I'd go Oturu, Thomas, Mitchell, Bickham in terms of priority level for the other four. Oturu is really impressive, I think he'll blow up soon. Thomas is a phenomenal athlete but sooooo raw; at this point all he can really do is dunk and play defense.

Trapp already has an offer from Iowa, so he is a high major recruit.

I'd go Oturu, Thomas, Mitchell, Bickham in terms of priority level for the other four. Oturu is really impressive, I think he'll blow up soon. Thomas is a phenomenal athlete but sooooo raw; at this point all he can really do is dunk and play defense.

Oturu is playing for Pulley this summer so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up against very good competition.

Oturu is playing for Pulley this summer so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up against very good competition.

Kalscheur is playing for Pulley this summer also, just announced today.

Interestingly enough, D1 MN (the MN team that plays in the Adidas AAU league) probably has a deeper roster than Howard Pulley this year.

Pulley: Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr., Theo John, Gabe Kalscheur, Daniel Oturu, Brad Davison, Isaac Johnson, Jeremiah Coddon, DJ Hunter

D1 MN: McKinley Wright, Goanar Mar, Matthew Hurt, Ishmael El Amin, Nathan Reuvers, Jericho Sims, Jack Hutchinson, Jack Sorenson

All the D1 MN guys have D1 offers and only Hutchinson doesn't have a high major offer.

Top Bottom