Q&A Future Gophers TE Gaelin Elmore Talks Commitment, Relationship w Other U Recruits

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A Future Gophers TE Gaelin Elmore Talks Commitment, Relationship w Other U Recruits

Q&A: Future Gophers TE Gaelin Elmore Talks U Commitment, Relationship With Other U Recruits
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/279420?referrer_id=388419

Gaelin Elmore, a 6-5, 240-pound tight end from Somerset, Wisconsin committed to Minnesota in June. Elmore, who is one of the top football players in the Midwest, picked the Golden Gophers over offers from Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa State. Gopher Hole watched Somerset defeat Bloomer 22-14 in overtime in their season opener and caught up with Elmore after the game to learn more about his commitment and senior season.

Gopher Hole: Nice way to start the season with a 22-14 victory in the opener, right?

Gaelin Elmore: Yes. That is a good team. They only lost three kids from last year’s team and we beat them in the playoffs. We weren’t supposed to win this game. My teammates came out and fought hard and we came out with the victory.

Gopher Hole: You don’t catch the ball often, but you had a nice 34-yard catch. That had to make you feel good to get involved in the offense early?

Gaelin Elmore: Coach definitely instills “we block, block, block” and when you get an opportunity to make a big play, make it, so I owe to my teammates to help me get ready.

Gopher Hole: You also stepped up and made some big plays on the defensive end as you forced two fumbles and also recovered a fumble. How about your defensive play?

Gaelin Elmore: I made a few plays there, but once again, our defense is set up where our teammates help us out. We made a lot of mistakes. The mistakes were a lot higher than the good plays, so we still have a lot to get better at.

Gopher Hole: You were state champions last year, but you lost some key players on offense like your starting quarterback who rushed for over 1,700 yards and 21 touchdowns and starting running back who gained over 1,600 yards and had 20 scores. What things are you trying to do to replace some of those key players?

Gaelin Elmore: Nothing. We have faith in our program where we know the kids that have been waiting for their chance and opportunity to come up and play, that they will be ready. It’s not like we are playing sophomores and freshman out here. We are playing seniors who backed up some really good upperclassmen for the past few years and they are ready for their turn. They are hungry.

Gopher Hole: How does your role change, if at all, this year from last year?

Gaelin Elmore: Just being a leader. I am one of the kids who has been out there before. I owe it to my teammates to be the best leader I can, to help show them the ropes until we get later in the season and they can figure things out for themselves.

Gopher Hole: I have seen you at a couple of practices leading up to the season for the Gophers. What are your expectations and what are you hoping to see from the team in terms of improvement from last year?

Gaelin Elmore: I am hoping to see at least six wins. I know that they are a really good team. They are underestimated. They’ll beat some people that they are not supposed to this year and the Gophers will just keep getting better year by year. The third year, is Coach Kill’s year to do big things and I expect nothing less.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about making some games and do you know when you are going to make your official visit to Minnesota?

Gaelin Elmore: The coaches talked to me about taking the official during Bowl Week with a bunch of other recruits. As far as just unofficials, I’ll go whenever I can because we are so close, but I know for a fact our whole team is coming over for the San Jose State game. That will be a fun atmosphere.

Gopher Hole: I know that you won over a lot of Gopher fans with your Tweets about Wisconsin and them recruiting you. What was going on with that?

Gaelin Elmore: Nothing. I’m competitive. I like to have fun. It is nothing but a little banter to spice up their rivalry. I am just dishing it back a little bit after I committed that I’ve got some chops. I’m just having fun and I’m being a kid.

Gopher Hole: Are you still hearing from other schools, though?

Gaelin Elmore: Yes. Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa State consistently and Indiana.

Gopher Hole: But, you are 100% committed to Minnesota?

Gaelin Elmore: All Gopher. All Gopher.

Gopher Hole: I know that we have talked before, you said that you have built some good relationship with your future teammates and Gopher commits like Connor Mayes and Andrew Stelter. Have you been in regular contact with those guys?

Gaelin Elmore: Yes. I am definitely going to text those guys tonight and talk to them a little bit and stay in contact with them whenever I can. Whenever I see something, I’ll send a text and stay in contact.

Gopher Hole: Who are you closest to of the commits?

Gaelin Elmore: I wouldn’t say closest to anyone. I try to spread it out. I don’t want to shut someone out before we even get on campus. That is not a good thing to do, so I try to talk to everyone and build a relationship.

Gopher Hole: You won the state title last year and would love to get back there again. You lost some key players, but what are the expectations for this season?

Gaelin Elmore: Every year, our team motto is, as far as success, playing the last day possible. If our team is only able to play the third round of the playoffs, so be it. We’ll be happy with anything we do as long as we played our hardest and know that we gave it our all.

Damn I really like this kid. Can't wait to see him in maroon and gold.

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. I like his attitude and can't wait to see him play.

Top Bottom