Q&A - Future Gopher Keelon Brookins: "There is no place like home."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Future Gopher Keelon Brookins: "There is no place like home."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/154497?referrer_id=331171

Keelon Brookins, a 5-foot-10, 184-pound defensive back from Tartan, was the first to commit to the Minnesota football recruiting Class of 2013. Brookins attended the first Gopher summer football camp and talked to GopherHole about his commitment, summer plans and winning the state 200-meter title this past weekend.

GopherHole: How pleased are you about winning the 200-metter title this past weekend with a time of 21.94, just missing your personal best of 21.89.

Keelon Brookins: I am very pleased. I was blessed. It was a blessing coming off surgery last year and attaining my goals, so it was very good.

GopherHole: You had a strong showing in Champaign at the Nike Football Training Camp last week, right?

Keelon Brookins: I was the Defensive Back MVP at the Nike Camp.

GopherHole: Which is the better achievement?

Keelon Brookins: They were both big. I think winning the state championship was better.

GopherHole: What things have you been focusing on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Keelon Brookins: My arm extension. Working on the motions of playing D-back and just working on that and getting that down pat, so it just comes naturally and I don’t have to think about it much.

GopherHole: What are you plans the rest of the summer in terms of going to camps and combines?

Keelon Brookins: I’ll probably be at two or three more Gopher camps. If I get invited to the Nike Open, I’ll go there. I’ll be getting my team ready to compete for the state championship this year.

GopherHole: Are you going to any team camps?

Keelon Brookins: No. Our camp is coming this week.

GopherHole: Are you going to go to any other college camps?

Keelon Brookins: No, probably not.

GopherHole: I know that you are probably hearing from other schools, but you are 100% committed to Minnesota?

Keelon Brookins: There is no place like home. I’ll keep my options open.

GopherHole: You got to interact with the coaches. What were they saying to you?

Keelon Brookins: That I worked hard and did a good job. Glad to have me here.

GopherHole: You had a good season team-wise last year at Tartan, but had some injuries, including yourself. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Keelon Brookins: There are big expectations this upcoming season. Trying to go out big for my senior year. Lead my team to a state championship and see how far that goes.

He's going to be a good one. I can't wait to see him in maroon and gold.

am i miss reading this? possibly miss understanding what is being said here.....

GopherHole: I know that you are probably hearing from other schools, but you are 100% committed to Minnesota?

Keelon Brookins: There is no place like home.I’ll keep my options open.

Basically, no, he's not committed 100%. I think he's solid, but he's not closing the door on hearing from other schools and what not. So like Kill always says, they'll have to keep recruiting him like he's not committed until NSD.

It's too bad there's not an early signing day like it hoops. Recruiting and being held hostage by the whims of seven-teen year old kids would suck.

It's too bad there's not an early signing day like it hoops. Recruiting and being held hostage by the whims of seven-teen year old kids would suck.
An early signing day wouldn't change anything here. At the end of the day he'll make the choice to visit other schools or he won't. If he's still interested in visiting other schools, he wouldn't sign early anyway.

The title is a little misleading, however.

Top Bottom