Q&A: From Germany to Canada to Minnesota? JUCO DE Julien Kafo Considering That Path

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: From Germany to Canada to Minnesota? JUCO DE Julien Kafo Considering That Path

From Germany to Canada to Minnesota? JUCO DE Julien Kafo Considering That Path With U Offer in Hand
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/274189?referrer_id=388419

Julien Kafo, a 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive end from Mont-Tremblant (Quebec) Vanier College, attended the Minnesota Gopher football camp and picked up an offer immediately afterwards.

Kafo talked to GopherHole.com about the latest on his recruitment and interest in Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your college recruitment right now?

Julien Kafo: I am very much looking at a couple of schools, mostly Big Ten schools. I have talked to Vanderbilt in the SEC. I have talked to Pittsburgh and UConn. I have a couple of offers out there, but I have been mostly talking to a lot of schools.

Gopher Hole: What college camps did you get a chance to attend?

Julien Kafo: I’ve been to Sound Mind, Sound Body Academy in Detroit. I went to UConn not too long ago and I went to Pittsburgh and then here.

Gopher Hole: I think the Sounds Mind, Sound Body camp was where the Gophers found out about you. What were you able to show that intrigued Minnesota so much?

Julien Kafo: In my one-on-ones, I think that did pretty good and a lot of coaches were impressed by my size and my ability to move. That has always been one of my great assets. I am still working other parts of my game.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Julien Kafo: I am working on my run blocking recognition. I am looking to be more flexible, stay lower. I am a tall guy. I want to be able to stay lower and take some blocks and get off those blocks faster.

Gopher Hole: Where are you from originally?

Julien Kafo: I am originally from Cameroon, but I was born in Germany. I moved to Canada when I was eight year old.

Gopher Hole: How did you get into football?

Julien Kafo: I remember I was in grade nine and my history teacher was also responsible as the issuing director of football and she always bugged me and said ‘Julien, you need to get into football and Julien, you need to play football.’ I first tried to play receiver and it was great. I love it. I fell in love with the game, not only being a receiver, but the game in general. I have played most of the positions on the field and every single one I love. I just love the game.

Gopher Hole: What is your favorite position to play?

Julien Kafo: I would say defensive end and a tight end. Those are the main two that I am mainly playing at my school right now and they are the ones that I love.

Gopher Hole: What position are most school looking at you playing in college?

Julien Kafo: Defensive end and outside linebacker.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Julien Kafo: I still haven’t talked to Coach Sherels and Coach Phelps right now. I have talked to them and said that no offers are going to come out tonight. I understand that. I will be waiting, even if it is positive or negative news. I will be looking forward to it (the Gophers offered him after the camp and shortly after this interview).

Gopher Hole: Had you been to Minnesota before?

Julien Kafo: No. It is my first time out here. The first time in Minneapolis. First time on campus. Everything was good.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience like?

Julien Kafo: The experience is good. I really love that it is in a big city and the campus is really big. The campus looks good. We love the stadium. Loved the facilities that they have. Practice facilities and everything is going to be renewed. I think that they are only going in the right direction. I love the business school. A top five business school. I am looking to study business.

Is this guy sort of like an Ezekiel Anzah? I mean, maybe not the speed or strength, but he's been playing longer so smarter?

Always love a good DE prospect so hope he signs with us.

I like this guy. CFL MVP 2020 with Alouettes, NFL MVP 2025, with Vikes.

Top Bottom