Q&A: Drake Michaelson Hoping for Gopher Offer but Will Not Walk-On

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Drake Michaelson Hoping for Gopher Offer but Will Not Walk-On
Already with nine D1 offers, Michaelson hopes to add a Gopher one to that list.

By Chris Monter

Drake Michaelson, a 6-foot-1, 205-pound senior linebacker from Eden Prairie, will make an official visit to Minnesota along with high school teammate Andrew Larson and his parents this weekend. He helped lead the Eagles to a Prep Bowl win over Lake Conference rival Wayzata Friday night. Michaelson, who attended the Minnesota Under the Lights football camp in June, has attended several Gopher games this fall. GopherHole.com caught up with Michaelson right before his visit to learn the very latest on his recruitment in an exclusive interview.

Michaelson and his Eagle teammates got revenge for a 9-0 loss earlier this season on the road to Wayzata to win the Prep Bowl over the Trojans 13-3.

Michaelson had an outstanding senior season and was named to the StarTribune and KARE-11 All-Metro teams and the Associated Press and St. Paul Pioneer Press All-State squads.

GopherHole.com caught up with Michaelson right before his visit to learn the very latest on his recruitment.

GH: What are the Gophers saying to you?

Drake Michaelson: That is what I am going to figure out this weekend. They have said that they want me. That is why they want to get me down there. I think we’ll figure it out this weekend, I’m hoping.

GH: What is the latest on your offers? How many are you up to?

Drake Michaelson: I am up to nine Division I offers. Air Force, Wyoming, Akron, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, Towson, Wofford and Furman.

GH: Have you had a chance to go to any of the colleges for visits yet?

Drake Michaelson: I took an official to Wyoming last weekend. I haven’t taken any other officials

GH: How was the Wyoming visit?

Drake Michaelson: It was fun. It was great. It was my first official, so I didn’t know what to expect. It was awesome and fun. They took us snowmobiling up in the mountains. They took us out to dinner a couple of times, so it was pretty cool,

GH: The last time we talked you were waiting to hear If Minnesota would offer a scholarship or want you as a preferred walk-on. Is that something you are hoping to know after this weekend?

Drake Michaelson: I am hoping to know after this weekend.

GH: Obviously, your preference would be to get a scholarship, but would you be interested in a preferred walk-on opportunity or are you looking more at a scholarship?

Drake Michaelson: I am definitely going to be taking a scholarship, financially and all that. What I want to do is to help my parents out. All these years of them paying for me, I want to pay them back. As much as I would want to walk-on somewhere, if it was my dream school, I would have to go with a full-ride somewhere.

GH: Was winning the state title the perfect way to end your high school career?

Drake Michaelson: Yes. It couldn’t have ended better. That was what our goal was. That was what we were aiming to do and nothing is better than seeing and experiencing something that you have been dreaming about and practicing for to come true.

GH: Did it make it even more special because you have had a rivalry with Wayzata and they had beaten you in the regular season?

Drake Michaelson: Yes. I would have like to play no other team except Wayzata in that game.

GH: You were named to the StarTribune and KARE-11 All-Metro teams and the Associated Press and St. Paul Pioneer Press All-State squads. You have to be very pleased?

Drake Michaelson: Yes, I am. I have to give the glory to God and thank him for everything that I was able to do. It is an awesome and humbling experience winning the state title and getting those honors. I have to point my finger to the big man upstairs and give him credit for that.

GH: You have some Eden Prairie players on the Gopher roster like Grayson Levine, who played with you last year and older players like Ryan Grant and Ryan Orton. Do you know them very well?

Drake Michaelson: I know Grayson very well. I have talked with Ryan Grant before, but because of the hometown and how we can relate to that. I am sure that we can connect very quickly.

GH: Have you talked to those guys about what they like about Minnesota?

Drake Michaelson: Not as much as I had hoped.

GH: How special does it make it that your teammate and friend Andrew Larson are both visiting the same weekend?

Drake Michaelson: It is going to be a fun weekend. It is fun to have one of my best friends going through this process along my side. It is a fun opportunity to take.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/125536?referrer_id=388419

GH: Obviously, your preference would be to get a scholarship, but would you be interested in a preferred walk-on opportunity or are you looking more at a scholarship?

Drake Michaelson: I am definitely going to be taking a scholarship, financially and all that. What I want to do is to help my parents out. All these years of them paying for me, I want to pay them back. As much as I would want to walk-on somewhere, if it was my dream school, I would have to go with a full-ride somewhere.

[/url]

Hard to blame the kid. Having a full-ride on the table would be hard to pass up. It will be interesting to see if the Gophers offer a scholarship this weekend.

Drake Michaelson: It was fun. It was great. It was my first official, so I didn’t know what to expect. It was awesome and fun. They took us snowmobiling up in the mountains.
I realize these are high school prospects and not pro athletes, but that seems like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen. If a kid injures himself do they pull his scholarship?

I realize these are high school prospects and not pro athletes, but that seems like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen. If a kid injures himself do they pull his scholarship?

I was thinking the same thing. It's one thing to go to a ball game, and eat some steak. It's another thing to have a couple of big boys out on the sleds!

Seriously? These guys are 18 and can sign the waiver same as everyone else or they can go sit inside with the coach's wives and talk about sewing and knitting.

Seriously? These guys are 18 and can sign the waiver same as everyone else or they can go sit inside with the coach's wives and talk about sewing and knitting.
I doubt that every recruit is 18 at this point. I'm sure there are plenty who aren't 18 at signing day. I didn't turn 18 until 2 months after I graduated.

Maybe they sign waivers, but if there are waivers, that would indicate that the college recognizes it as a potential legal liability, no? There are pro teams that won't allow their players to play pick-up basketball. If your body is your meal ticket, you have to be careful with it. Just ask Jay Williams.

With the price of college now days, you can't blame a kid for that. I wish him the best wherever he winds up.

A kid that has his priorities, that well sorted out, would make an outstanding Air Force cadet. He's a credit to his parents and the state. If he doesn't get an offer from us I wish him well where ever he ends up.

He sure likes a walk-on type kid at the Big Ten level, completely understand his desire to take a scholarship elsewhere.

im gunna get blasted for this.... but id let him walk... offer him the prefered walk on and let him earn the b10 scolly... i know hes a local kid.... but if the coaches dont feel he has the goods to deserve a scolly... then he doesnt get one...

im gunna get blasted for this.... but id let him walk... offer him the prefered walk on and let him earn the b10 scolly... i know hes a local kid.... but if the coaches dont feel he has the goods to deserve a scolly... then he doesnt get one...

I don't know why you think you'd get blasted for that opinion. Everyone seems to be that exact same position. He's a borderline prospect and if the staff wants to go in another direction, I think everyone respects that. If you look at the entire thread, everyone is pretty much saying the same thing on him. You won't get blasted for it.

Personally....I always find it intersting to do a side-by-side comparison of players regarding height/weight, other college offers, and stats for the season. As some of the players committed early, they may have pulled themself off the table for any other recruiters that came around. At the end of the day, I am a koolaid drinker of Coach Kill and trust they are bringing players to turn the program around.

Josh Ballesteros 6'1 235 - Only other offer was from Western Michigan. In 2011 season, had 44 tackles (15 solo) and 1 sack.

Drew Davis 6'3 240 - Only other offer was from Western Michigan. Couldn't find any other stats on Drew other than his team was 5-6.

Brian Nicholson 6'1 220 - No other offers. In 2011 season, had 78 tackles (30 tackles) and 4 QB sacks.

Jack Lynn 6'3 205 - Other offers were from Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois and Western Michigan.

Link to Miami Herald for Stats - http://sportstrac.herald.com/SportsTrac.aspx?action=team&schoolid=106&sportsid=5

With offers from Wyoming and Air Force and a number of other FCS schools, plus he is on an official visit this weekend, he definitely would have to be evaluated in the same category as the rest of these players. At the end of the day with 4 LB commits already, it is probably difficult to add a 5th at this point.

It will be interesting to see if Drake follows the footstep of AJ Tarpley at Stanford, who Minnesota passed on but probably didn't evaluate him correctly as evidence by his performance there thus far.

Either way.....Go Gophers!

Was it Michaelson's coach that thought he was the best LB prospect he had seen in the MN ranks in many years? Reminded him of James Laurinaitis?

Personally....I always find it intersting to do a side-by-side comparison of players regarding height/weight, other college offers, and stats for the season. As some of the players committed early, they may have pulled themself off the table for any other recruiters that came around. At the end of the day, I am a koolaid drinker of Coach Kill and trust they are bringing players to turn the program around.

Josh Ballesteros 6'1 235 - Only other offer was from Western Michigan. In 2011 season, had 44 tackles (15 solo) and 1 sack.

Drew Davis 6'3 240 - Only other offer was from Western Michigan. Couldn't find any other stats on Drew other than his team was 5-6.

Brian Nicholson 6'1 220 - No other offers. In 2011 season, had 78 tackles (30 tackles) and 4 QB sacks.

Jack Lynn 6'3 205 - Other offers were from Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois and Western Michigan.

Link to Miami Herald for Stats - http://sportstrac.herald.com/SportsTrac.aspx?action=team&schoolid=106&sportsid=5

With offers from Wyoming and Air Force and a number of other FCS schools, plus he is on an official visit this weekend, he definitely would have to be evaluated in the same category as the rest of these players. At the end of the day with 4 LB commits already, it is probably difficult to add a 5th at this point.

It will be interesting to see if Drake follows the footstep of AJ Tarpley at Stanford, who Minnesota passed on but probably didn't evaluate him correctly as evidence by his performance there thus far.

Either way.....Go Gophers!
Until the other three Miami Central kids actually visit (Hinds, Nicholson, Ballesteros), I'm highly skeptical about the solidity of their offers. Not to mention we are taking a TON of linebackers.

I've got family out in Sheridan, WYO- and I think Wyoming would be a lot of fun, especially if you like the outdoors. I've been out to several Cowboys games in Laramie, and it's a great time. Laramie is small and intimate and has a very, very Western feel to it, the scenery out there is spectacular, and the Cowboys fans are really wholeheartedly behind their team.

Air Force would be awesome too, and you would be guaranteed to get one hell of an education out there, however there's that sticking point of making a commitment to serve in the Air Force once the Academy days are over, and if a kid's not called to that, well then he shouldn't do it.

I wish him the best wherever he decides to go!

Just read the Miami Central on TV thread. Appears that Ballesteros and Nicholson didn't start on defense. Ballesteros was in on some special teams play. Neither did Hinds play who has had 2 receptions for the season.

Perhaps Michaelson does come away with an offer.......

Any chance local guy's are offered Grey shirts?

Could Michaelson and Larson be offered Grey shirt opportunities for scholarships next season? Just so many guy's in the class of 2012, next years Minnesota class not so much.
Would be a way to maybe get both and they come in more mature physically and ready to go?

That certainly is possible but I doubt Kill would want to do that. It would only further limit the number of 2013 recruits that they could sign next year. It appears now that they will have about 12+ scholarship opening up with 2012 graduations. Of course there can be additional scholarships that will come available for a variety of reasons but Kill will still most likely need to be very careful with his 2013 scholarships. He therefore would only “grey shirt” somebody for extraordinary reasons.

Another thing about gray shirting this year is that if anything there will be more borderline BCS recruits next year. Next year might be light for elite players but there are just as many FBS/FCS players in total. Coach Kill with limited scholarships will have to use them carefully.

Top Bottom