GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Connor Mayes on Gophers: "It is a good possibility that I end up here."

Connor Mayes on Gophers: "It is a good possibility that I end up here."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/193250?referrer_id=388419

Connor Mayes, a 6-foot-4, 338-pound junior offensive lineman from Van Alstyne, Texas, is the younger brother of Minnesota football commit Alex Mayes. The brothers attended the Northwestern-Minnesota game together. GopherHole.com caught up with Mayes to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Mayes shined at the Gopher Camp this past summer and Gopher fans are hoping that with Alex Mayes already committed that the Mayes duo will join the Olson and McAvoy brothers on the Minnesota offensive line.

Gopher Hole: How is the season going so far?

Connor Mayes: We have got a really young team and we are 0 for 8 right now.

Gopher Hole: Has that been frustrating because I am sure that you were hoping for better success this season? How do you overcome that?

Connor Mayes: I am playing as hard as I can every game. Just get the younger guys to buy into the program. We’ll pick it up pretty soon.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are in one of the toughest conferences in the state. Does that at least give you some great competition to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Connor Mayes: Yes. We have a couple of good guys. The team we played recently had a nose guard who is going to Iowa State. That was a pretty fun game.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Connor Mayes: Just getting faster and stronger. Keep getting good grades.

Gopher Hole: What things are you planning on doing this summer? Have you thought about what camps you might attend?

Connor Mayes: I am planning to commit towards the end of the schools year. I have the Army Combine in January. I might go to a few camps.

Gopher Hole: I know that you and your brother are so close and he is a Gopher commit. Does that means that you are likely to end up here? Have you thought that far yet?

Connor Mayes: It is a good possibility that I end up here. I just want to keep looking at my options.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides Minnesota?

Connor Mayes: I got an offer from K-State (Kansas State). I really like them. LSU has been sending me a bunch of stuff. I am going to visit there pretty soon.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many college games so far this year?

Connor Mayes: Just TCU.

Let's hope he's golden next spring. C Mayes, Ragnow and anyone else off the street would make an outstanding O-line class for 2014.

This would be sweet, he looks like a real mauler.

Top Bottom