Q&A: Brandon Lingen on Committing to U: "It just seemed like the perfect situation."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Brandon Lingen on Committing to U: "It just seemed like the perfect situation."

Q&A: Brandon Lingen on Committing to Gophers: "It just seemed like the perfect situation."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/297936?referrer_id=388419

Brandon Lingen, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound tight end/defensive end from Plymouth (MN) Wayzata, became the eighth player to commit to Minnesota. He has helped lead the Trojans to a 3-1 start this season. Gopher Hole caught with Lingen to learn more about his decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason that you decided to commit?

Brandon Lingen: It just seemed like the perfect situation. I love the coaches. The education is great and it is the hometown team. It is something that you dream about growing up, so it was too perfect of an opportunity to pass up.

Gopher Hole: What other offers did you have?

Brandon Lingen: I had an offer from Air Force and Florida Atlantic.

Gopher Hole: Were you surprised by the Minnesota offer?

Brandon Lingen: I had been talking to them and they were saying that they were getting a little more interested, so I was hopeful, but I definitely did not know that they were going to pull the trigger last week. It was a pleasant surprise.

Gopher Hole: Did you have a chance to talk to them much when you were down there for the Iowa game?

Brandon Lingen: Yes. I got to talk to Mr. Glasscock for a little bit before the game and stayed after the game and talked to Coach Reeves for a little bit, so that was nice.

Gopher Hole: What camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Brandon Lingen: I went to Minnesota’s camp, NDSU’s camp and Air Force’s camp.

Gopher Hole: Besides the two offers and Minnesota, what other schools were you hearing from?

Brandon Lingen: I was hearing from NDSU and Rutgers a little bit

Gopher Hole: What position are they looking at you playing? Tight end or maybe defensively?

Brandon Lingen: I haven’t ever had that type of discussion with them, but from what I have heard, it would be tight end, but I could be wrong. I would be willing to try anything or do anything to help the team succeed.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a football player?

Brandon Lingen: I have been able to improve my blocking a lot this offseason. I know that I have been doing pretty well at that so far this year. I am just looking to improve. Being a hard working guy. Being a tough guy who brings 100 percent every play.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota has a couple of former Wayzata players on their roster like Ben Lauer and Chris Wipson. Do you know either of them and have you ever talked to them much about Minnesota?

Brandon Lingen: Definitely. I played with both of those guys. They are pretty good friends of mine and I was definitely talking with them throughout the process and they are great guys and I am lucky enough to be teammates with them again.

Gopher Hole: What did they tell you about Minnesota?

Brandon Lingen: Everything that they told me about was that they loved it. They had no regrets about going there and it really helps making the decision easier, too. Just knowing that those guys are having great experiences, so hopefully, I know I will, too.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just decided today, but do you feel like a little bit of weight has been lifted off your shoulder already?

Brandon Lingen: Yes. Definitely. It feels good to know where I am going to be next year, so I can really focus on finishing out this high school season strong and get ready to practice next year and do whatever I can.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? How did you think that you have played so far this year?

Brandon Lingen: So far this year. I feel that I have done pretty well. I have been able to catch a few passes. I think that my run blocking definitely improved this year, but there are always things to work on. Definitely, trying to get a little quicker off the ball and do a little more downfield with the ball. There are things to work on.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from an athletic family?

Brandon Lingen: My sister is a pretty good swimmer. My dad played football in high school, but other than that, no one else has done this sort of thing. That is pretty cool.

Gopher Hole: Where did you get the love for football?

Brandon Lingen: Honestly, just growing up around it. I always watched football with my dad on Sundays and Saturdays and played in the backyard, throwing the football around with him and then growing up with my neighbors. We would always be playing football in the backyard. I have always really enjoyed playing it and it grew into a passion of mine.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports at Wayzata or are you just football-only these days?

Brandon Lingen: Just football.

Gopher Hole: Once the season gets over, what things are you going to try to work on to be ready to make that jump to the next level?

Brandon Lingen: I am going to have to keep lifting, getting stronger. Definitely, going to work on my speed and agility. Get quicker, because everyone at that level is very fast, very strong, so I am going to be working on those type of things to try and get myself ready to compete.

Top Bottom