Q&A: Blaine's Duke Anyanwu Commits to Gophers and Now Waits for Arrival Date

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Blaine's Duke Anyanwu Commits to Gophers and Now Waits for Arrival Date
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/129072?referrer_id=331171

Duke Anyanwu, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound senior quarterback/wide receiver/athlete from Blaine (MN) High, has committed to Minnesota after visiting the campus this weekend. Anyanwu talked to GopherHole.com Sunday about his college choice.

Anyanwu helped lead the Bengals to an 8-3 mark this year, losing to Anoka 27-22 in the Section 7AAAAA finals. He completed 115 of 161 passes for 925 yards and five scores. Anyanwu was even more effective as a runner as he carried the ball 199 times for 1130 yards with 18 touchdowns.

GH: How was the visit this weekend?

Duke Anyanwu: It was good. I went to campus and meet up with a couple of guys like MarQueis Gray and Brandon Green. Just hung out with them and toured around and enjoyed it.

GH: Was the visit better than you thought it would be or the same?

Duke Anyanwu: It was definitely better than I thought it would be. I have been on campus so many times. This time I saw so much more stuff and was even more impressed with the facilities.

GH: What all did you get a chance to see and do?

Duke Anyanwu: We went to Fogo De Chao. That was awesome. Got to see some of the new stuff that they added in the weight room. Got to see a bunch of the new stuff that they got so far.

GH: When are you planning on finding out if you will join the team in June or possibly greyshirting? Is that something you have talked to them about or is that still up in the air?

Duke Anyanwu: I think in the next couple of weeks, Coach Kill will be telling me what he wants for sure. We’ll see.

GH: Do you have a preference?

Duke Anyanwu: I really don’t have a preference. If I get another couple of months to work out and get stronger and actually catch-up with my grade that I should be in. It is definitely an advantage. I just turned 17, so being able to catch up with my age-mates and extra time to work out would be a plus, but coming in and making an impact would also be a plus.

GH: Do you feel like there is weight off your shoulder already even though you just made the decision today?

Duke Anyanwu: Oh, yea. It is definitely a huge weight off my shoulders.

GH: What has the reaction of your family been?

Duke Anyanwu: My mom was happy. She was with me when Coach Kill offered me. She was there. My uncles were excited for me. My cousins are excited. My best friends are excited for me, so it is definitely good.

GH: I know that you had some other good opportunities, but is it nice to know that your family and friends will be able to see you play and make all of your games?

Duke Anyanwu: Yes, it is definitely a big plus side to it.

Young kid, lots of room on his frame...grey shirt would be perfect...3 months to build before starting school and getting into spring practice and still have 5 to play 4...6 years from now as a SR this kid could be a monster at H back or DE....especially if he adds another inch or two to his 6'4 height!

Top Bottom