PWOs - Preferred Walkons - a Gopher tradition or a Jerry Kill tradition?

Go4theWin

Kill Believer
Reaction score
I've always followed Gopher football but not to this extent -since Coach Kill took over. I know Nebraska built their dynasty with a highly publicized Walk-On Program and I can't help but think that there are a lot of similarities between the two states football players. I have to imagine that this is huge recruiting and player development tool that Kill has emphasized here at the U. So many Division I "tweeners" come out of Minnesota and go to good I-AA programs like NDSU, SDSU, etc... Now, Kill is building depth, State pride, and possibly getting All-Conference players for free. (without using Scholarships)

Is this something the U has been known to do? Is this something Kill put a lot of emphasis on at Northern Illinois? Perhaps he sees a real hidden gem here at the only Division I program in a good football state.

Your thoughts?

Mason had a lot of walk-ons who contributed and Brewster had a few as well, so it's really nothing new. Like other aspects of recruiting, Kill seems to be a bit more intentional with this than his predecessors, but it's hardly new.

Mason had a lot of walk-ons who contributed and Brewster had a few as well, so it's really nothing new. Like other aspects of recruiting, Kill seems to be a bit more intentional with this than his predecessors, but it's hardly new.

Agreed. There might be a little more emphasis on trying to get these guys scholarships down the road (Kill doesn't like the term "walk-on" he considers them delayed scholarship holders or something like that -see DL65's recap of Sunday's Sports Huddle). But there have always been walk-ons that become starters and earn scholarships here (and virtually every school). Even a handful of Mason walk-ons got scholarships under Brewster (which is a little less usual).

The key is Kill RECRUITS all players with the intention that they all will contribute...these guys get all the same benefits of a scholarship player...just no scholly, yet. Some walk on programs are basically blocking dummies and don't get to be a full part of the team...Kill keeps saying how he is RECRUITING players that aren't on scholly yet, but are expected to be contribute and will be included in all team activities and benefits. Love this attitude and hope it builds into a tradition. The NE tradition isn't about walkons becoming All Americans...it is about instate recruits that are part of the great NE tradition in every way except the free ride.

The key is Kill RECRUITS all players with the intention that they all will contribute...these guys get all the same benefits of a scholarship player...just no scholly, yet. Some walk on programs are basically blocking dummies and don't get to be a full part of the team...Kill keeps saying how he is RECRUITING players that aren't on scholly yet, but are expected to be contribute and will be included in all team activities and benefits. Love this attitude and hope it builds into a tradition. The NE tradition isn't about walkons becoming All Americans...it is about instate recruits that are part of the great NE tradition in every way except the free ride.

Well said. I agree, and hope Kill really builds something here with a program like this. I know I was a big fan of Chase Haviland from TRF getting a scholly after walking on. His segment on the Gopher webisodes was great. And, as I went to the Gophersports.com roster to make sure I spelled his name right, I noticed he's not on it. WTF?

Chase Haviland

Well said. I agree, and hope Kill really builds something here with a program like this. I know I was a big fan of Chase Haviland from TRF getting a scholly after walking on. His segment on the Gopher webisodes was great. And, as I went to the Gophersports.com roster to make sure I spelled his name right, I noticed he's not on it. WTF?

It appears that he was on the fast track to graduate. The 2011 roster had him listed as a sophmore but the highlights there where for his 2011 junior year. Then the following clip for 2011 Senior Day included him with the senior group. Thus he was a sophmore, junior and a senior all in the same year. Not bad except it would have been nice have him for one more year.

SENIOR SALUTE
The following is a look at the 24 Gophers who will be honored on Senior Day at TCF Bank Stadium Saturday: Duane Bennett, Chris Bunders, Cameron Gatling, Jacob Glickstein, Chase Haviland, Kyle Henderson, Anthony Jacobs, Johnny Johnson, Bryan Klitzke, Brandon Kirksey, Eric Lair, Christyn Lewis, Adam Lueck, Collin McGarry, Da’Jon McKnight, Ryan Orton, Kim Royston, Shady Salamon, David Schwerman, Troy Stoudermire, Patrick Sveum, Gary Tinsley, Jordan Wettstein and Ryan Wynn.

I believe what happens is they listed every walk-on who is graduating as a senior on senior day, regardless of eligibility class, because they may decide to go off into the real world, rather than hang around (and pay for) college another year.

It appears that Coach Kill invited several MN kids to join the Gophers as walk-ons but most have decided to go elsewhere. In most cases, because they have scholarship opportunities. At this point only 4 have commited as walks-ons and two are from the State of WI. I'm sure he was hoping for a better accept rate. There may well be additions to the four announced tomorrow. I do think Kill has a good story to tell here as he treats all players the same. Once the team begins to perform better on the field, I think more kids will be interested.

It appears that Coach Kill invited several MN kids to join the Gophers as walk-ons but most have decided to go elsewhere. In most cases, because they have scholarship opportunities. At this point only 4 have commited as walks-ons and two are from the State of WI. I'm sure he was hoping for a better accept rate. There may well be additions to the four announced tomorrow. I do think Kill has a good story to tell here as he treats all players the same. Once the team begins to perform better on the field, I think more kids will be interested.

Exactly!

A lot of those guys wait until right at or after the NLI date.

Joe Christensen and Luke Trucilla both became walk ons on signing day.
Gavin Bronson was a bit later.

We'll probably have of another couple 2-5 more kids getting PWOs.

I do think that a solid walk on program can build some good depth and it will likely need to grow significantly in size to get the full benefits of it. For reference since the NE walk-on program was mentioned earlier, they currently have 18 committed walk-ons for this class.

Top Bottom