Puzzling Quote From Bielema

I think he may have simply misspoke. He likely meant to say choose which goal to defend, and knowing that would lead to kicking off, just said choose to kick off. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to choose to kick off after winning the coin toss, because the other team can then opt to defend the goal of their choice, thus getting both the ball and the wind(if there is any).

I think he may have simply misspoke. He likely meant to say choose which goal to defend, and knowing that would lead to kicking off, just said choose to kick off. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to choose to kick off after winning the coin toss, because the other team can then opt to defend the goal of their choice, thus getting both the ball and the wind(if there is any).

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but if that's what you're gonna go with...

Fascinating discussion, but we're missing the real talker from this thread:

Josh...Badger Sports Report? Only the die-hardest of die-hards goes to such great lengths with the arch-rival to support his squad.

In my household, we don't touch Wisconsin sports shows/days/weeks on BTN with a 10-foot pole. Unless, of course, it's a replay of a great Gopher victory.

Which has been far and few between. By the way, I think you guys should focus on your own coache's "intellect" than a coach who runs a successful program.

Ha! This is all kinds of awesome in how U of M football smashes a fan's heart till it is drained white. Like the one sweet shot out of 100 hundred in golf that has you back on the course in 2 weeks.

What made it worse was this game was televised & the announcers made it seem like Illinois made some kind of epic comeback...

The simple answer is he must just be an idiot. He is running the program into the ground and that is going to be apparent any year now.

Too bad he is only going to have one more shot at Brewster.

Even if the wind is a major, major factor, you would never choose to kick. If you do, the opposing team gets to decide if they want the wind right away, or in the 2nd quarter.

Technically, you don't necessarily "choose to kick", you tell the ref which end of the field you want to defend.

There are without question situations every now and then where the wind is enough of a factor that you would make a decision like this.

Hard to know just what Bielema is capable of doing with kickoffs though. He still thinks he's some kind of rocket scientist with that BS he pulled against Penn State a few years ago before halftime. Nice job, Bret. Way to lead by example and show your kids how to use loopholes in the rules to protect a lead. Ask JoePa if he's forgotten that one yet.

Top Bottom