Putting Weber on the run to simulate more O....

Reaction score
Here's an area where my Eastern GH needs some enlightening...

Adam is a qb with average...or more... running ability as he has demonstrated in previous campaigns, but granted, Brew/JF don't want to get him hurt because he's the core of the Gs point production. So...

> If the opponent is not stacking the box because of the Gs feeble ground game and electing to double up Deck etc, and thus Weber is seeing open field more often...why don't Brew/JF teach him how to slide if there's even a hint of being hit? His role models...the Mannings...are masters of this and noone will think AW less macho IMHO. Also NW's Kafka...a good running qb... is really good at sliding this year and hasn't taken any serious hits as far as I know.

> A collapsing pocket has been a key problem this year vs better opponents given the Gs OL capabilities at this point in the program and thus AW has had little time to work his way through
his progressions. Why haven't Brew/JF developed more "roll-out" packages for Weber in order to "buy" time thus giving him more options and of course, the ability to take off and run if he sees some daylight of 5-15 yards?

Pile on!

Not anymore

Weber just isnt running much anymore. You cant go out there scared that you may be hurt. Tarkenton ran for 17 years before getting hurt. Running was a huge part of Adams and the gophers game. Take off for some big gains again Adam.

This is, I think, the biggest question of the year and the one thing that everyone should be talking about a lot more. You can't 100% blame Weber for not running, since he shouldn't have to for the offense to work. But if he were, this would be a much more effective offense, and the issues on the o-line would be less harmful to the team.

There was a thread yesterday linking to a story about this same thing:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9321

It doesn't really explain why, though. I suppose it could be one of two things...Weber's scared (possible, but slightly unlikely because he continued running after his past injury) or the coaching staff is telling him not to (which would, even to an armchair coach, seem completely idiotic).

Wish we knew for sure, because this seems like our best shot for making a quick, dramatic improvement to the team this year.

Top Bottom