Purple Rain and Dwight Yoakam

This could be the worst form of Prince's song I have ever heard.

As someone who works in the building where the Artist became famous, and having endured more covers of this song than probably any other human alive, I feel i am uniquely qualified to weigh in on this matter.

You aren't off, this is a bad cover. However, i'd rate around #7 or #8 worst that i've heard and promise it's not the pinnacle failure or anywhere close to competing for it. (At least it's got the bluegrass thing going for it - if you can tune out those vocals). For one thing, he's not tank-drunk and falling offstage (presumably), and for another, he seemed to know the lyrics...and that's very much a head start over a lot of renditions.

As someone who works in the building where the Artist became famous, and having endured more covers of this song than probably any other human alive, I feel i am uniquely qualified to weigh in on this matter.

You aren't off, this is a bad cover. However, i'd rate around #7 or #8 worst that i've heard and promise it's not the pinnacle failure or anywhere close to competing for it. (At least it's got the bluegrass thing going for it - if you can tune out those vocals). For one thing, he's not tank-drunk and falling offstage (presumably), and for another, he seemed to know the lyrics...and that's very much a head start over a lot of renditions.

So....what did you think of the Prince tribute that was played on CBS this past week? Personally, I thought some of it was outstanding, others not as much.

So....what did you think of the Prince tribute that was played on CBS this past week? Personally, I thought some of it was outstanding, others not as much.

To be honest, I haven't watched it yet. Due to Covid's impact on the entertainment industry, I don't expect to get to return to work anytime soon and will probably get to it at a later point when i'm feeling uber-nostalgic. My world is already swollen this time every year with Prince this and Prince that, as it's inundated with memories both public and private. I have to tune it out a little so i don't get burned out on it. When Prince passed, every single band that played the venue for the next year and a half played "Purple Rain". It was already a popularly overdone cover, but suddenly it was everyone's encore; it still is, rather often.

I have watched and highly recommend a viewing of the recent PBS special "First Avenue: Closer to the Stars". Especially if you're a fan of independent music, or iconic Minneapolis history, it's a really worthwhile watch.

To be honest, I haven't watched it yet. Due to Covid's impact on the entertainment industry, I don't expect to get to return to work anytime soon and will probably get to it at a later point when i'm feeling uber-nostalgic. My world is already swollen this time every year with Prince this and Prince that, as it's inundated with memories both public and private. I have to tune it out a little so i don't get burned out on it. When Prince passed, every single band that played the venue for the next year and a half played "Purple Rain". It was already a popularly overdone cover, but suddenly it was everyone's encore; it still is, rather often.

I have watched and highly recommend a viewing of the recent PBS special "First Avenue: Closer to the Stars". Especially if you're a fan of independent music, or iconic Minneapolis history, it's a really worthwhile watch.
Thanks - yeah there are a lot of Prince songs to choose from if you want to do a Prince tribute at First Ave; Purple Rain is unnecessary. Best of luck getting back to work.

Not that I've been keeping track, but has The Revolution been playing much at First Ave?

Thanks - yeah there are a lot of Prince songs to choose from if you want to do a Prince tribute at First Ave; Purple Rain is unnecessary. Best of luck getting back to work.

Not that I've been keeping track, but has The Revolution been playing much at First Ave?

I appreciate that, thank you. It's weird not to get to be there. We have a pretty great team, a large family of misfit, passionate, music & people lovers. I am uniquely blessed in that i actually look forward to going to work every day, and it's hard to be away from them.

The Revolution played a few times right after Prince's passing, but i think it's been a couple years now? I'm horrible at this game: 17+ years and honestly i don't pay as much attention as most of my peers, it all blends together and i have a hard time differentiating what was 3 years ago from what was 3 days ago. We've since also had a ton of dance themed events - every DJ wanted to do a tribute (or multiple), but those have largely petered out. There are still two or three annual events including my favorite - the Kids (& Parents) only - dance party. A hundred screaming, dancing, giggling little monsters high on sugary drinks at 11:00am on a weekend morning.... can actually prove to be surprisingly rejuvenating for the soul.

I appreciate that, thank you. It's weird not to get to be there. We have a pretty great team, a large family of misfit, passionate, music & people lovers. I am uniquely blessed in that i actually look forward to going to work every day, and it's hard to be away from them.

The Revolution played a few times right after Prince's passing, but i think it's been a couple years now? I'm horrible at this game: 17+ years and honestly i don't pay as much attention as most of my peers, it all blends together and i have a hard time differentiating what was 3 years ago from what was 3 days ago. We've since also had a ton of dance themed events - every DJ wanted to do a tribute (or multiple), but those have largely petered out. There are still two or three annual events including my favorite - the Kids (& Parents) only - dance party. A hundred screaming, dancing, giggling little monsters high on sugary drinks at 11:00am on a weekend morning.... can actually prove to be surprisingly rejuvenating for the soul.
I was there the night after his passing for the Bob Mould show. They covered "When You Were Mine" towards the end of the show. It still is the only Prince cover I have ever enjoyed.

Man, I hope we all can get back to First Ave. soon. I met my wife there back in 93 and still rank it as my favorite place in the world.

I love all of the comments on this thread. Thank you all for clearing the air on your thoughts on Prince and his music.

I was there the night after his passing for the Bob Mould show. They covered "When You Were Mine" towards the end of the show. It still is the only Prince cover I have ever enjoyed.

Man, I hope we all can get back to First Ave. soon. I met my wife there back in 93 and still rank it as my favorite place in the world.

Funny you should mention that one. I saw Ani DiFranco open up for Willie Nelson @ Midway Stadium back in '97(?). I had never previously been aware of the song, but she covered "When You Were Mine" that day and it still haunts me to listen to it. (If you're interested, it's an easy Google search - there's only one recording out there.) For me, probably the only Prince cover i have ever enjoyed, or at least, one of very few.

I love all of the comments on this thread. Thank you all for clearing the air on your thoughts on Prince and his music.

For the record, i am actually a big fan of Prince's music, which is why I prefer to keep the songs somewhat meaningful and to not be viciously overexposed.

I was going to mention the Mould/Suicide Commandos cover. Fun end to the show and great to walk out into all the Prince fans waiting to get into the Prince dance party that was taking place after. Also, funny to see people on You Tube ripping the performance. It's a thrown together semi-goof with a guitar tech on vocals people. Lighten the eff up.

And yeah, really missing shows. Had tickets for Neko Case at First Ave, Drive by Truckers at the Palace and Jason Isbell at the Armory. I guess the Isbell is technically still on but it's hard to imagine it happening.

The song is not that good to begin with so keep that in mind. Decent musician but the worst lyricist

I believe he may have been speaking abouit the other bands cover song. Not Purple Rain.

Top Bottom