Purdue to go with Plummer

I was wondering whether Sam Jackson, the Chicago area kid who committed to the Gophers twice, and de-committed twice (because Fleck had him penciled in as a WR not QB) had a chance to start as a QB at Purdue--where he committed as a QB after his second de-commit from the U. Looks like Jackson later de-committed from Purdue (same issue?) and then committed to and enrolled at TCU, where he is listed as a QB on the roster. Long journey.

Disgustingly, I can see a Duluth Trading Company or a Nair Commercial coming, LOL. Maybe an opportunity for NIL money for players on the team? Hmmm. 🤔

All kidding aside, there are bound to be a few recruiting misses (Lance) or miscues (Viramontes). We will hear about the Trey Lances of this world when they become successful.

Does anyone know why PJ Fleck did not offer Trey Lance in the 2017 class? This was PJ Fleck's first year. I believe he was convinced that Tanner Morgan was going to be his QB because he re-offered him when he took the job with the Gophers.

It is all about timing. If you remember, PJ Fleck had to act fast to load up on commitments. Maybe, there were no offers available.

Disgustingly, I can see a Duluth Trading Company or a Nair Commercial coming, LOL. Maybe an opportunity for NIL money for players on the team? Hmmm. 🤔

All kidding aside, there are bound to be a few recruiting misses (Lance) or miscues (Viramontes). We will hear about the Trey Lances of this world when they become successful.

Does anyone know why PJ Fleck did not offer Trey Lance in the 2017 class? This was PJ Fleck's first year. I believe he was convinced that Tanner Morgan was going to be his QB because he re-offered him when he took the job with the Gophers.

It is all about timing. If you remember, PJ Fleck had to act fast to load up on commitments. Maybe, there were no offers available.
All of that logic doesn't make for a good story. Fans would rather believe a kid was kicked to the curb right after a coaching staff said something like, I dunno, "you suck!", or "you throw like a girl!...you'll never play college football! Get out of here with your dreams and aspirations!". And then laugh and throw a couple bucks at his feet.

Last edited:

Fleck told a quarterback whom he recruited that he wouldn't recruit another quarterback in the class. Unfortunately I believe days before NSD, that particularly quarterback rescinded. Vance understood Fleck's loyalty as to his word and did admire him for that. There was a large newspaper article on that about 2 or 3 months ago or so.

All of that logic doesn't make for a good story. Fans would rather believe a kid was kicked to the curb right after a coaching staff said something like, I dunno, "you suck!", or "you throw like a girl!...you'll never play college football! Get out of here with your dreams and aspirations!". And then laugh and throw a couple bucks at his feet.
Gutter story sells rags.

I was wondering whether Sam Jackson, the Chicago area kid who committed to the Gophers twice, and de-committed twice (because Fleck had him penciled in as a WR not QB) had a chance to start as a QB at Purdue--where he committed as a QB after his second de-commit from the U. Looks like Jackson later de-committed from Purdue (same issue?) and then committed to and enrolled at TCU, where he is listed as a QB on the roster. Long journey.
I'll say! My head hurts now!!!

Fleck told a quarterback whom he recruited that he wouldn't recruit another quarterback in the class. Unfortunately I believe days before NSD, that particularly quarterback rescinded. Vance understood Fleck's loyalty as to his word and did admire him for that. There was a large newspaper article on that about 2 or 3 months ago or so.
I completely forgot about that last-minute de-commitment.

It is a story of timing, of keeping your word, and of missed opportunity. There is plenty of what-ifs.

The only one that fits that timeline was Brennan Armstrong. He had de-committed from the Gophers on November 5, 2017. He then committed to Virginia on November 20, 2017. This probably was very upsetting for the Gophers coaching staff. PJ Fleck kept his word. Simply, a kid reneged on his. Truly, he is one that got away. He is a true dual-threat QB that would have wreaked havoc with the Gophers.

On the other side of the coin, if he had committed to the Gophers, would the Gophers have ended up with the Zach Annexstad, Daniel Fa'alele, Curtis Dunlap trio from IMG Academy? Zach decided to walk on so that his two teammates can get scholarships.

In the end, it worked out for everyone.

Tanner Morgan
committed to the Gophers on January 6, 2017.
Trey Lance committed to NDSU on May 23, 2017, after receiving no offers from the Gophers due to commitments.. https://247sports.com/player/trey-lance-93591/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Quarterback Recruiting Misses:
Hank Bachmeier ended changing his about the Gophers and committed to Boise State on May 9, 2018, despite having family in the Twin Cities. I believe his dad swayed him. https://247sports.com/player/trey-lance-93591/

Max Duggan changed his mind about the Gophers and committed to TCU on April 15, 2018.

Last edited:

Top Bottom