Purdue now ranked 25

it's about where you finish.

BG and less than impressive win over MiamiOh is holidng us back, not going to worry about it

Perception factors, which is why Iowa fell so far after one loss

Losing as 31-point favorites (at home) is not the same thing as losing by 30 as 4-point favorites. Again, our loss was the second worse in 10-years in all of CFB. We got the exact number of votes that we deserved. That’s just the truth of the matter.

This idea that the severity of a loss should be based on a betting line just doesn’t make sense. Not many people are going to look back at games played and think about the betting line. It’s just not a real stat anyone uses to evaluate a game or a season.

Yes, it was a loss that shouldn’t of happened, but it wasn’t the beatdown it’s been made out to be.
We only lost by 4 points in a low scoring 14 to 10 game. That’s not a blow out, nor a legendary loss.

Of course we should have won the game, but with our offensive system of using maximum time, coupled with a terrible coaching day, beating Bowling Green by 31 points wasn’t going to happen.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. Having Iowa ranked as high as #2 in the country only proves that these pollsters really have no idea.

Some perspective:

Pitt also makes their debut in the AP top 25, at #23.

They're 5-1. They've won at Tennessee and have two ACC wins now, to go along with two home wins over tomato cans.

Their lone loss? Western Michigan.

Take away our Ohio State loss and replace it with a win at some middling P5 team ..... who does this then remind you of?

Wisconsin will fix this next week. Wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If Gophers take care of business for the next three weeks then they'll get a pity ranking ahead of the Iowa game.
Ranking a 7-2 team that is 5-1 in conference with their only conference loss being to a highly ranked Ohio State team would not be a pity ranking.

We shouldn't be ranked right now and we aren't. Don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.

The only 2 loss ranked teams right now are TX A&M and Purdue with big wins over #1 and #2 at the time and Auburn...because it's Auburn. If you're looking at the Coaches poll, no Purdue but add Clemson...because it's Clemson.

If the Gophs win the next two games, maybe after Maryland if it's a blowout (doubtful) they'll be getting some sniffs at ranking.

Coaches poll should be terminated.

AP poll is fine as a placeholder until the real, actual thing that matters - CFP top 25 - starts coming out.

That Bowling Green game is going to make our ranking an interesting situation all year (assuming we move into a spot where we actually contend for rankings). Very few top 25 teams will have a loss to a team that bad, so voters are going to have to decide how they weigh that against the other factors. There is a fair argument that, if beating a really great team is a huge boost to your ranking, then losing to a really bad one should be an equally big hit to it.

We also have two related problems as of right now: (1) only one game against quality peer teams and (2) the only such game we do have was against a team who wasn't thought very highly of when we played them (I agree with whoever said this is unfair, and voters should consider the current rankings of your opponents, not their ranking when you played them). We are 0-1 against really good teams, 1-0 against a solid team, and 3-1 against bad teams. So, our resume is as follows:
-no wins against anybody great
-weren't able to beat all the bad teams
-aren't really getting full credit for a road win against a good Purdue team because their win against Iowa happened after we played them (which I think is BS)

I also agree with everyone who says as the season plays out, this will all sort itself out. Our next three games are against bad (but still P5 B1G) teams. If we lose to any of those teams, we probably don't deserve to be ranked at that point, and if we beat them all, then we are getting into the territory where it is tough to ignore a B1G team with only two losses that late in the season. At that point, Iowa and Wisconsin will be the "prove it" games.

The MAC is a very good league, for what it is. Most people don't notice or care. There's a reason a lot of coaches get hired out of it for P5 spots.

Sadly, BG has started out 0-3 in conference. I have a feeling the Minnesota win is going to end up being their Super Bowl.

Miami OH is 2-1.

We will barely crack the Top 25 if we win our next 3 games. You typically don't get votes unless you prove you can beat teams that are in the top 25 or at least considered top 45 teams. Beating 7 teams ranked 40 - 100 in overall division 1 standings with 1 loss to a bottom 25 team in division 1 does not help matters. Beat these next 3 and we get ranked (or if Purdue beats WI we probably only need 2 more wins to get ranked).

Either way our season will be about getting the wins over the teams we should and then beating Iowa, Indiana and WI.

We will barely crack the Top 25 if we win our next 3 games. You typically don't get votes unless you prove you can beat teams that are in the top 25 or at least considered top 45 teams. Beating 7 teams ranked 40 - 100 in overall division 1 standings with 1 loss to a bottom 25 team in division 1 does not help matters. Beat these next 3 and we get ranked (or if Purdue beats WI we probably only need 2 more wins to get ranked).

Either way our season will be about getting the wins over the teams we should and then beating Iowa, Indiana and WI.
Not true. A lot of the polling for the lower teams is based on nothing more than the surface level "look" of the record.

Pitt made its debut at #23, after getting to 5-1 by beating two unranked ACC teams the last two weeks.

If Purdue beats Wisconsin and we win this week, I think we will be ranked. We would be in a three way tie for the West having beat Purdue.

If Purdue beats Wisconsin and we win this week, I think we will be ranked. We would be in a three way tie for the West having beat Purdue.
Purdue is going to do great work for us this year! That win in the rain was huge.

If MN, and Purdue win, and Ill an NW lose as expected for the Illinois schools. Starting to look like a two team race and it will likely be decided by the winner of the MN vs Iowa game.

Standings would be.
MN 3-1 Still plays Iowa, IN, and WI
Pur 3-1 Still plays NE, OSU, MSU and IN in cross over
Iowa 3-1 Still plays MN, WI and NE
Wis 1-3 Still plays Iowa, NE and MN
NW 1-3
Ill 1-4
NE 1-4

Some here are really plugged into the polls all through the season. Others here — myself included — couldn't give two shits, especially this early in the year. There is a whole lot of football remaining to be played, and every week we see more than a few teams high in the rankings get knocked off their lofty perch.

So... I'm not worrying about it now. I'd rather let it play itself out. I'll start following the polls — avidly — after we play Iowa.
Yep talk to me about polls when we are close to bowl selection. All you need to know about early polls is that Nebraska has been top 25 preseason pretty much every year.

SIAP. I figured that this is as good a spot as any for this image.

Ouch! Image from a Purdue Football tweet:

FB2xSFCWEAEFycF

Purdue Football tweet

If Purdue finishes out of the Top 25 at the end of the season, nobody will even remember that they were ranked #25 by one poll after 6 games.

Just saw that Purdue has lost 14 straight to Wisconsin.

I don't think that this is true. Any 7-2 Power 5 team is going to get a good number of votes. And.....winning the next three would mean that we were also on a five game winning streak. All Big Ten games. You also have to look at how much turnover there has been in the top 25 this year. There's little doubt that there are going to be losses handed out to teams near the cutting line.

Win the next three and I would think the Gophers are inside the top 20 when we travel to Snout, Iowa.

Top Bottom