Purdue game entrance

Regarding the bag policy, maybe the U should ask some folks who work for the Twins how they are able to keep out terrorists while still permitting opaque bags. What's their secret?
Smaller crowds.

When half of the security/scanner personnel look like they're still in middle school and treat this as a dumb, stupid, boring job, and the other half has visions of being a cop, then we have consistency problems. Especially from one gate to another.
A few years back I went through gate E and it was moving pretty slow. Fans were yelling and the poor young girl working there had to take the brunt of it and caved, letting people fly right through. On the other hand, a different time my friends 75-year-old mom had to open up her sunglasses case she had inside her pocket while his dad had to zip up the side of his Carhartt pant legs.

When half of the security/scanner personnel look like they're still in middle school and treat this as a dumb, stupid, boring job, and the other half has visions of being a cop, then we have consistency problems. Especially from one gate to another.
A few years back I went through gate E and it was moving pretty slow. Fans were yelling and the poor young girl working there had to take the brunt of it and caved, letting people fly right through. On the other hand, a different time my friends 75-year-old mom had to open up her sunglasses case she had inside her pocket while his dad had to zip up the side of his Carhartt pant legs.
When I used to bring someone in a wheel chair they would just wave us through...

If you wanted to do something bad you could do it in line with a huge crowd or just bring a wheel chair of bad stuff.

The security line just inconveniences everyone.

Smaller crowds.
Yes, the Twins are typically drawing smaller crowds but Target Field has seen its share of sellouts during good years which are close to 40,000 people. It's not that far off from the 45,000 at the Purdue game in that scenario.

Yes, the Twins are typically drawing smaller crowds but Target Field has seen its share of sellouts during good years which are close to 40,000 people. It's not that far off from the 45,000 at the Purdue game in that scenario.
Yes, and when they do have crowds of 40,000 it's taken me pretty close to the same amount of time to get through the gates at Target Field (on the Plaza) as it does for the Bank. Can mitigate it somewhat by walking to the gate by Homeplate or the parking ramp/skyway, usually a breeze.

Yes, and when they do have crowds of 40,000 it's taken me pretty close to the same amount of time to get through the gates at Target Field (on the Plaza) as it does for the Bank. Can mitigate it somewhat by walking to the gate by Homeplate or the parking ramp/skyway, usually a breeze.
It's been a while since I've been to a Twins sellout, but I don't remember the lines being as bad as at HBS. They do allow bags though, so even if it's comparable, it's with allowing bags.
The Twins host 81 home games though compared to the 7 for the Gophers. I guess you could say they've had more practice and have better-trained employees.

It's been a while since I've been to a Twins sellout, but I don't remember the lines being as bad as at HBS. They do allow bags though, so even if it's comparable, it's with allowing bags.
The Twins host 81 home games though compared to the 7 for the Gophers. I guess you could say they've had more practice and have better-trained employees.
The last jam packed event at Target Field I went to was Jimmy Buffett/The Eagles. I remember waiting for several minutes on the Plaza and there was very little movement for like 10 minutes, and thought it was going to be several more.

Walked up the steps to the Parking Ramp entrance and waltzed right in.

Since then I think they have expanded the number of lines at the Main Gate/34. All 3 games I went to this year were 20,000 - 25,000 and I got there early to meet friends at a bar so getting in was easy. Getting in at the Light Rail gate also goes smoothly, but haven't done that since pre-pandemic.

The last jam packed event at Target Field I went to was Jimmy Buffett/The Eagles. I remember waiting for several minutes on the Plaza and there was very little movement for like 10 minutes, and thought it was going to be several more.

Walked up the steps to the Parking Ramp entrance and waltzed right in.

Since then I think they have expanded the number of lines at the Main Gate/34. All 3 games I went to this year were 20,000 - 25,000 and I got there early to meet friends at a bar so getting in was easy. Getting in at the Light Rail gate also goes smoothly, but haven't done that since pre-pandemic.
Cool thing the Twins have now too is a special entrance for season ticket holders so they can get in quicker. Of course attendance was so low this year that it didn't really matter.

When I used to bring someone in a wheel chair they would just wave us through...

If you wanted to do something bad you could do it in line with a huge crowd or just bring a wheel chair of bad stuff.

The security line just inconveniences everyone.
This reminds me of the dumbest security situation I have ever seen.

Back in the 90’s before strong security and 9/11, I was working for my brother’s company and helping him set up an advertising display at MSP.

It was a large 3D display/advertisement and when we tried to set up the schedule of construction of the display, the airport just gave us a time frame and a date.

When the date arrived, we took a company van to the airport and loaded up a large cart (about twice the size of a Costco cart) with tools, materials, and the display walls. We had zero instructions so we just wheeled that thing down the concourse until we hit security.

They made us wheel the cart to the side, but we had to step aside and go through the security/X-Ray. Once through, we simply stepped to the side and continued to roll the cart that no TSA person had even looked at!

We could have put multiple bombs, AK47’s, and perhaps even a fighter plane on that cart, but not even a pocket knife on our bodies. It struck me immediately how dumb it was. Oh the innocent world prior to 9/11.

This reminds me of the dumbest security situation I have ever seen.

Back in the 90’s before strong security and 9/11, I was working for my brother’s company and helping him set up an advertising display at MSP.

It was a large 3D display/advertisement and when we tried to set up the schedule of construction of the display, the airport just gave us a time frame and a date.

When the date arrived, we took a company van to the airport and loaded up a large cart (about twice the size of a Costco cart) with tools, materials, and the display walls. We had zero instructions so we just wheeled that thing down the concourse until we hit security.

They made us wheel the cart to the side, but we had to step aside and go through the security/X-Ray. Once through, we simply stepped to the side and continued to roll the cart that no TSA person had even looked at!

We could have put multiple bombs, AK47’s, and perhaps even a fighter plane on that cart, but not even a pocket knife on our bodies. It struck me immediately how dumb it was. Oh the innocent world prior to 9/11.

For Rutgers, I got to Gate C at 12:58 PM. Through security, scanner and up the steps by 1:05 PM. I counted 11 people in front of me in the No Bag line. Probably would have been a minute quicker, but a woman with a small purse was in line and had to be told to go to another one just as she got to the scanners. Scofflaw.

Restroom & refreshment stops, in my seat by 1:16 PM in time to see The Minnesota March.

Yeah, the hype for this game was just a bit different than for Purdue homecoming. :cool:

On an unrelated note -- I remember how gorgeous the weather was for that game and thinking that with the huge gap until the next home game, this (the Purdue game) would be the last one with good weather. Glad I was wrong!

Top Bottom