Purdue coach says...

PJ isn't going anywhere. The Purdue coach has that on his Christmas list but it will not happen.

1. Heather likes MN
2. His kids like it here
3. He wants to restore MN to relevance, he says it over and over again which is great.
4. See number 1

I’m thinking of going to The Bahamas for vacation. Can you check with Heather and PJ’s kids what they think of that? Seems you are pretty tight with them.

Cheap banter. I was talking to a strength coach for Purdue Monday and he is in love with what the Gophers are doing. He loves Minneapolis. Great guy. He was in my gym because Purdue isn't in a bowl game. The big downer is he thinks Fleck is gone if we beat Auburn. Money won't be an object. Hope he is wrong. Visiting with a former Florida State player a couple weeks ago he said Fleck was their #1 pick and was super bummed about Fleck's extension. Fleck has big time National profile. One of my best friends played HS at Shoreview then Notre Dame (cool National Championship ring) and then the NFL. He is excited about Gopher football. Just behind ND football (not North Dakota). Keep Fleck at all costs. Merry Christmas!

I don't doubt your story. I do doubt that this coach has any special insight into the situation.

I’m thinking of going to The Bahamas for vacation. Can you check with Heather and PJ’s kids what they think of that? Seems you are pretty tight with them.

How tall are his kids compared to Mike Morris?

Yeah, I made some assumptions, not gonna lie!!! I don't think you need their permission to choose a vacation spot but I will personally give you permission to go to The Bahamas. Oh what the heck, go anywhere you want.

It was called Roseville Area High School.
No one from Shoreview, MN attends Roseville HS unless of course it is open enrollment. Mounds View HS is the desired school in the area. A majority of the enrollment is made up of North Oaks, Shoreview and Arden Hills. Irondale's attendance comes from the city of Mounds View and New Brighton with a sliver of St. Anthony.

No one from Shoreview, MN attends Roseville HS unless of course it is open enrollment. Mounds View HS is the desired school in the area. A majority of the enrollment is made up of North Oaks, Shoreview and Arden Hills. Irondale's attendance comes from the city of Mounds View and New Brighton with a sliver of St. Anthony.
Check your math.

There's actually a small part of Shoreview that goes to Irondale too. West of Lexington and north of TCAAP.

I would bet some kids in the southern part of Shoreview (between County Road D and 694) would open enroll in Roseville for closeness.

There's a really small part of Shoreview in the Roseville district. Down by Lake Owasso.

I would bet some kids in the southern part of Shoreview (between County Road D and 694) would open enroll in Roseville for closeness.
Not a ton of people open enrolling away from MVHS to Roseville HS. That would be extremely rare. It's not like MVHS is that far away and MVHS is by most measures a much better high school.

Mounds View is one of the best, and richest, public schools in the state.

It is amazing at how much effort people will put into attacking a poster.

I enjoy reading the OC for what it is, some random tidbit. A rivals impressions of the program is valid information, but obviously they don't know anything about how long PJ wants to stay at the U.

Alexander Ramsey for those who are in the know...
Actually Rod Smith was a Frank B. Kellogg HS kid. Ramsey and Kellogg combined to make Roseville HS starting in Rod's junior year. At the time there was a part of Shoreview near Lake Josephine and running east towards Lake Owasso that was in the Roseville district. Not sure where that line is drawn. I lived in Shoreview and went to Ramsey and then Roseville.

There seem to be several suburbs that are served by multiple school districts, even if only a relatively small part of the city.

I wonder if there is some historical aspect to that? Like, school districts were worried that they'd be dominated by city politics if their boundaries were contiguous or completely within a single community? Or perhaps the other way around?

Like I read a while ago about a small part of NW Edina that is actually served by Hopkins district. There would seem to be no reason for that, other than "well that's how the district has always been, and we won't surrender that part, so too bad".

Imagine over-paying for your Edina property, only to find out you can't ship your kids off to country club Edina schools??

Actually Rod Smith was a Frank B. Kellogg HS kid. Ramsey and Kellogg combined to make Roseville HS starting in Rod's junior year. At the time there was a part of Shoreview near Lake Josephine and running east towards Lake Owasso that was in the Roseville district. Not sure where that line is drawn. I lived in Shoreview and went to Ramsey and then Roseville.
Yep, but Roseville Area took over the Alexander Ramsey site while the middle school took over Kellogg.

There seem to be several suburbs that are served by multiple school districts, even if only a relatively small part of the city.

I wonder if there is some historical aspect to that? Like, school districts were worried that they'd be dominated by city politics if their boundaries were contiguous or completely within a single community? Or perhaps the other way around?

Like I read a while ago about a small part of NW Edina that is actually served by Hopkins district. There would seem to be no reason for that, other than "well that's how the district has always been, and we won't surrender that part, so too bad".

Imagine over-paying for your Edina property, only to find out you can't ship your kids off to country club Edina schools??
I hope I'm clear. School boundaries were made years ago to make sure every child had a school to attend. Back then they made the boundaries up and eventually the growth of the Twin Cities was built in. From wiki

Hopkins High School is part of the Hopkins School District 270 and draws students from the city of Hopkins, central and eastern parts of Minnetonka, western Edina, northern Eden Prairie, Golden Valley, western St. Louis Park, and southern Plymouth. (Minnetonka High School draws students from western Minnetonka.)

I actually enjoyed the post. If it was BS, who cares. If it was true, it doesn't seem that far off.

The poster never implied that someone close to Fleck thought he would leave if he won, just that he would leave. Why would an admitted outsider not think that? Tons of us think that. Tons of us thought Brohm would be gone if he won.

I think it's a little odd that a school would chose whether or not to go after Fleck based on the bowl game.

Everybody in that area easily gets granted open enrollment in Edina Public Schools.

The residents have petitioned to get it moved to EPS but Hopkins won't give it up.

Sure open enrollment, but I doubt Edina is getting the same money as they would if those properties were in their district. So they’re taking in those kids at a loss, in a sense. Could easily be wrong.

My point is, I bet there are such examples all over the metro. Bought an expensive house in Shoreview, kids will go to MV. Nope! Roseville. Bought in Plymouth, kids will go to Wayzata. Nope! Armstrong.

Cheap banter. I was talking to a strength coach for Purdue Monday and he is in love with what the Gophers are doing. He loves Minneapolis. Great guy. He was in my gym because Purdue isn't in a bowl game. The big downer is he thinks Fleck is gone if we beat Auburn. Money won't be an object. Hope he is wrong. Visiting with a former Florida State player a couple weeks ago he said Fleck was their #1 pick and was super bummed about Fleck's extension. Fleck has big time National profile. One of my best friends played HS at Shoreview then Notre Dame (cool National Championship ring) and then the NFL. He is excited about Gopher football. Just behind ND football (not North Dakota). Keep Fleck at all costs. Merry Christmas!
Where would he go after the bowl game? There aren't a lot of options at this point of the year unless someone gets fired that late which is very rare.

The number of people in that situation you should feel sorry for is exactly zero. Prominently displayed on every real estate listing is what school district the property is located in. If you don't know what school district you're buying a house in it's your own damn fault.

As to the oddities of school district boundaries, I think it relates to how much of the first- and second-ring suburbs were vacant land when nearby school districts were forming. The north end of Eagan is part of ISD 197 (W.St. Paul/Mendota Heights) because those were the closest schools when that part of Eagan, which is the oldest part of that city, was being developed. No school district will willingly give up property as tax money would disappear along with hit.

The number of people in that situation you should feel sorry for is exactly zero. Prominently displayed on every real estate listing is what school district the property is located in. If you don't know what school district you're buying a house in it's your own damn fault.

As to the oddities of school district boundaries, I think it relates to how much of the first- and second-ring suburbs were vacant land when nearby school districts were forming. The north end of Eagan is part of ISD 197 (W.St. Paul/Mendota Heights) because those were the closest schools when that part of Eagan, which is the oldest part of that city, was being developed. No school district will willingly give up property as tax money would disappear along with hit.

I am an election judge in Eagan, and there is one precinct that is in all 3 school districts (191, 196, and 197). It's a challenge when the precinct has 3 different ballots depending if the district has a referendum.

Sure open enrollment, but I doubt Edina is getting the same money as they would if those properties were in their district. So they’re taking in those kids at a loss, in a sense. Could easily be wrong.

My point is, I bet there are such examples all over the metro. Bought an expensive house in Shoreview, kids will go to MV. Nope! Roseville. Bought in Plymouth, kids will go to Wayzata. Nope! Armstrong.
Smart people usually check school boundaries before they buy a house, especially if they care about it.

Top Bottom