Punting

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but what is wrong with Santoso? He started the season not only booming punts but sticking them inside the 10 yard line like a pro. Now he can't even get them up in the air half the time. Is he hurt or what's his deal?

On the other side of the ball can we put someone else back there besides Wolitarsky? How many punts does he have to muff before we make a change? The times he doesn't muff them his decisions to catch vs let them bounce are questionable at best.

Maybe I missed it but what is wrong with Santoso? He started the season not only booming punts but sticking them inside the 10 yard line like a pro. Now he can't even get them up in the air half the time. Is he hurt or what's his deal?

On the other side of the ball can we put someone else back there besides Wolitarsky? How many punts does he have to muff before we make a change? The times he doesn't muff them his decisions to catch vs let them bounce are questionable at best.

Agree on both. Santos is punting himself out of a shot at the NFL & Woli does not belong back there...

Wolitarsky has muffed at least two punts this year. I don't mind that it looks like he runs in quicksand, but the tradeoff is that he must secure the ball. There should not be an opportunity for a third chance. This week, I would hope that Antoine Winfield Jr. and Tyler Johnson get a shot. They're young, but already mature beyond their freshman status.

I would love Tyler Johnson to get a chance. I can't understand sending Wolitarsky out there to catch punts anymore. Claeys is doing some questionable things but this is a glaringly easy thing to change. If the next guy muffs it too at least it's no worse than Woli.

I feel like Wally's two muffs and Santoso are the same thing, psychological, but in fairness to Wally it has been all of TWO times.

When you see Santoso warm up he'll hit every other kick, or maybe hit two good and then one bad. he seems seriously frustrated with it all and I think it is just in his head now.

Drew should not be returning punts. Right now he has one more td than he has muffed punts. Granted he has had a decent season by why risk having a decent season nullified by putting him in a role he is not good at. It is not like he is a risk to become an electrifying return man. The downside outweighs the upside.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I only listened to the game on the radio but they were saying that his muff could have been called catch interference. Was it that close or were they exaggerating?

Looked like punt coverage was within 18 inches of Woli when he attempted to field it. I thought there was supposed to be a 'halo' around the return man. What's the rule?

Looked like punt coverage was within 18 inches of Woli when he attempted to field it. I thought there was supposed to be a 'halo' around the return man. What's the rule?

Here's a still shot. Maxy - please clarify the rule on this! All I could find is that there is no set yardage you need to give the returner, but they must be "unimpeded". Pretty vague - curious how this is usually interpreted by refs.

Capture.jpg

Two muffs in one season are bad and almost cost us two games. He has no speed, so why does he still have the job? At least have somebody do it that is a theat for a decent return.

Here's a still shot. Maxy - please clarify the rule on this! All I could find is that there is no set yardage you need to give the returner, but they must be "unimpeded". Pretty vague - curious how this is usually interpreted by refs.

View attachment 4477

enhance (typing).... ENHANCE!!!

enhance (typing).... ENHANCE!!!

Is that a reference to the poor image quality? It was the best I could find (in a hurry) from a screen grab of the BTN highlights.

Twice in two months. Wow, that's getting to be a real habit.

I would guess that's between 10 and 20% of the time that has resulted in the other team getting possession of the ball forty yards plus downfield. That's pretty significant. Like others are saying, where's he going if he catches it? He looks anything but fearless as well. Just not the right choice.

I would guess that's between 10 and 20% of the time that has resulted in the other team getting possession of the ball forty yards plus downfield. That's pretty significant. Like others are saying, where's he going if he catches it? He looks anything but fearless as well. Just not the right choice.

Who would you assign that job? And don't say anyone; give us the name of the guy who will do better. As Lincoln said when discussing replacement generals for George McClellan, "Anyone might do for you, but I need someone."

Who would you assign that job? And don't say anyone; give us the name of the guy who will do better. As Lincoln said when discussing replacement generals for George McClellan, "Anyone might do for you, but I need someone."

Cute. But not too practical. I have been to two practices this fall and didn't witness anyone fielding punts at either. (Might be part of the problem right there?) Rodney Smith seems to catch anything thrown his way and makes the first guy miss. Myrick seems to catch pretty well. Tyler Johnson might be a candidate. The DB's are another group to consider. We have two guys back there because?

Cute. But not too practical. I have been to two practices this fall and didn't witness anyone fielding punts at either. (Might be part of the problem right there?) Rodney Smith seems to catch anything thrown his way and makes the first guy miss. Myrick seems to catch pretty well. Tyler Johnson might be a candidate. The DB's are another group to consider. We have two guys back there because?

In other words, you don't really know who would do better, or whether anyone would. So throw a bunch of names out there. But it's the coaches who know what goes on in practice.

In other words, you don't really know who would do better, or whether anyone would. So throw a bunch of names out there. But it's the coaches who know what goes on in practice.

You asked for specific names. I give them to you and you accuse me of throwing names out there. How about this: I am positive Rodney Smith and Myrick would be better punt returners than Wolitarsky. They have to fumble three times to be worse. Wolitarsky has one potential positive as a punt returner, catching the ball. He offers nothing else to the job. Smith and Myrick can catch it and have the very real potential for a positive yardage return. How many punts has Wolitarsky looked confident fielding? He fumbled at least one other one and recovered it himself. Yes, I clearly know someone else is better suited for the job....that I can clearly see. I'd like the opportunity to audition who might be the best person by observing practice if that's okay? The coaches hopefully know what goes on in practice but we all see what goes on in games and Wolitarsky is shaky at fielding punts on game day.

As much as I like Wolitarsky as a team player, he's been awful on punt return duty.

He's had 6 returns, 1 fair catch, and 2 muffs when he decides to catch the Punt. That fumble rate is way too high. It is coaching malpractice if they put him back there again. Scroll down to the special teams section:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-minnesota-advanced-statistical-profile

I've been watching Santoso as the season progresses. For Iowa Mrs. Billd thought that maybe it was a colder ball. Certainly that's a thought for that game.

After watching Maryland and Rutgers it's in his head. He's thinking too much and it's affecting his process.

You can see his body language after kicks...literally what he does with his head (up or down), arms (dammit! motion), and helmet (ripping it off)...and know he knows he's underachieving.

We need for this to pass.

I've been watching Santoso as the season progresses. For Iowa Mrs. Billd thought that maybe it was a colder ball. Certainly that's a thought for that game.

After watching Maryland and Rutgers it's in his head. He's thinking too much and it's affecting his process.

You can see his body language after kicks...literally what he does with his head (up or down), arms (dammit! motion), and helmet (ripping it off)...and know he knows he's underachieving.

We need for this to pass.

Yeah he seems frustrated.

What is weird is when you see him warm up before the game or at the half.... he nails a few in a row and then kicks a weird one. I feel for the dude.

Yeah he seems frustrated.

What is weird is when you see him warm up before the game or at the half.... he nails a few in a row and then kicks a weird one. I feel for the dude.

Yep. In the pre-game warm-up on Saturday they were consistently coming off the right of his foot for 6-7 punts. The last one before coming off the field went straight. That was a far cry from last year when he was punting for just practice...not the real deal. He was a monster with the ball.

Top Bottom